Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821672 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1905 on: February 22, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
I am going to use just 2 - 3 sprites for now but if anyone got any ideas for extra MC sprites, let me know. There should be a transparent png for battle and a portrait (can be cut from the battle sprite).

Pushed a few, If you like it, I'll add more.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #1906 on: February 22, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
Pushed a few, If you like it, I'll add more.

They're great! Why is there a girl in between?????

Do we actually need more?

PS: They also have combat pics! Btw, you can put more than one sprite if you like.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1907 on: February 22, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »
Why is there a girl in between? ??? ?
I'm doing my best to restrain my imagination  :D

Great work. We even could remove those two old MC sprites (unless you know their names, so we could find combat pics for them).
I'll try to find some more after chainfights, my skills with graphic editors are much better now after all those packs and icons.

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1908 on: February 22, 2014, 11:06:46 AM »
They're great! Why is there a girl in between? ??? ?

It's a trap!  ;D 

Do we actually need more?

Probably not. I mean, they're easy to add, so anyone can do it if he would like something else.
I've just picked few pics that didn't need much work at random and then added Gendo and my favourite cross-dresser just for the fun of it. It's missing a magician for example or some more weapon types, but I don't really care that much :)
---------------
I'm trying to manage the relative height of characters that have something on their heads or long weapons with empty space above those who haven't - I think it's working, but as a result the sprites appear smaller (especially vs sprites that are not adjusted) and it also look silly when you fit this image into a box (we have on at arena screen).
----------------
I'm going to create another arena team, it's really fun to do it as a break from taging  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1909 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:12 AM »
----------------
I'm going to create another arena team, it's really fun to do it as a break from taging  :)

Kewl, I'll make sure that you can push any kind of stats with the next push. Right now Arena characters come off a bit weak and have a very low hardcap. You can do that with pure experience as well right now.

PS: Arena Character are not mobs so you should specify the exact strength you wish them to have instead of relative strength as percentage.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1910 on: February 22, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
It's a trap!  ;D   

"Traps" like that usually end up causing billions of questions...

LoL

And I just realized that I didn't add the ability to give a name to MC in the setup screen :D I'll see if I can do that tonight.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1911 on: February 22, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
I'm afraid we'll need gun and machine gun attacks for some characters due to their battle sprites. They don't have to be more powerful, I mean sounds and stuff.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1912 on: February 22, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
I'm afraid we'll need gun and machine gun attacks for some characters due to their battle sprites. They don't have to be more powerful, I mean sounds and stuff.

Not really, char having a sword doesn't actually mean he carries one. We don't have a flute from Tayuya and she's doing ok.

I got a bit drunk and finally understood how to properly use Styles in Ren'Py :D

Roman really did some weird crap with his buttons screens in Alkion... and I've inherited the odd practice.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1913 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
Well, if a battle sprite has a sword, I figured that the character should have a sword attack by default, providing that she doesn't have any weapon equipped. We have that bskill field in our data files after all.

And Tayuya uses summons and genjutsu mostly, so maybe she shouldn't have melee attacks without equipped weapons at all?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:06:21 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1914 on: February 22, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
Well, if a battle sprite has a sword, I figured that the character should have a sword attack by default, providing that she doesn't have any weapon equipped. We have that bskill field in our data files after all.

Game will override that and it's not worth coding something like a fixed attack.

And Tayuya uses summons and genjutsu mostly, so maybe she shouldn't have melee attacks without equipped weapons at all?

Customizing every character in BE so specifically is something we may never be able to afford due to time constraints.

PS: It is now possible to name the MC.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1915 on: February 22, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »
Why do we need bskill field then?

There should be options in items. Something like mskills or magic_skills and bskills or battle_skills. I need to take a look at the code.
According to our own Items Concept thread, items only have addskill/removeskill fields.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1916 on: February 22, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »
Why do we need bskill field then?

We used it to specify attack type, now that depends on the items so it became kinda obsolete. Maybe we'll find use for it in the future again.

According to our own Items Concept thread, items only have addskill/removeskill fields.

That's what adds/removes magic, we now have an "attack" field for the normal attacks.

Idea:

Should I look into using MC sprites that remained unpicked for Arena Fighers with flipped images? Seems kinda like a waste otherwise...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1917 on: February 22, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
Sure, why not. Will make more sense to add even more MC sprites to the game.

Although, Gendo will be a very strange opponent. Then again, Rei vs Gendo = epic battle  :)

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1918 on: February 22, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
Kewl, I'll make sure that you can push any kind of stats with the next push. Right now Arena characters come off a bit weak and have a very low hardcap. You can do that with pure experience as well right now.

PS: Arena Character are not mobs so you should specify the exact strength you wish them to have instead of relative strength as percentage.
I haven't played the game in months (if ever) so I have no idea about the balance  :) . I've just copied the values for "Randalf" and adjusted them a little.
also I didn't pay attention to it, because without more skill types, new teams are just different pictures atm...

May I suggest creating a possibility to add customized pre-match and aftermatch events for teams? Something like adding a field in arena_teams.json with name of label the game will jump to? (Or automatic team name label like in GM) For stuff like different taunt line, team pic, different music, first introduction event or to set flags for quests (=team XY defeated).

Also, it is possible to set affinities for NPC arena fighters?

btw. I'm for the guns. After playing few FF games, sword vs machine guns doesn't feel like unusual combination in the slightest  :) .
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:44:21 PM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1919 on: February 22, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »
Oh, I will add guns after we will have rows (= ranged weapons) in BE in any case. I already have a lot of great icons for them.