devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821761 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2040 on: March 03, 2014, 04:23:37 AM »
I'm not sure about the idea that party members should move and act independently. And I'm not sure about several exploring parties at the same time as well.

I am against cloning RPGMaker functionality to Ren'Py, it's messy, will not be as good or as fast and will take to long. This is what we got and even this still needs sh!tloads of work. If we're going to do a dungeon, we should at least try to make it a bit different from hundreds of standard RPGMaker games.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2041 on: March 03, 2014, 07:27:40 AM »
Well, some of those sprites look strange (especially Hinata). I think they could use a framing of some kind for EE.

What kind of BE do you want to use in dungeons? I suppose we won't use our current BE, since party members are divided?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2042 on: March 03, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »

- Fixed a bug in the BE + Added default Luck
- Added loading map from Tiled + 1 map/it's json
- Moved debug screen with coords to dev mode only

Added collision, increased size of tiles because our magic looks really shitty otherwise (animations seem 10x larger than sprites). We'll have to choose if we want tiny sprites with battlefield zoom-in and auto-resize of attacks or this option (I like larger tiles myself and it's less of a mess in code).

LiveComposite/AlphaBlend may be resource hungry, I'll need to test new updates on a shitty laptop at some point. There are other ways to go. That entire map is loaded from 37kb png file by the way :)

It's basically the same thing as before but with proper tile loading and map + collision on that map from Tiled.

==============
Enough playing around (although it's a lot of fun) :) I'll see if I can find something on the TODO list for tonight...

==============
What kind of BE do you want to use in dungeons? I suppose we won't use our current BE, since party members are divided?

I like Alkion's style a lot but with magic and attack "on the ground", instead of a separate animation screen... Proof of concept been in the game for a long time (pytfall.arena.test()) in the console. It's very raw but base concept is clear.

If you have other ideas, lets hear them, all of it can be easily changed. (oh, we can load hex-tiles, 3Dtiles and maybe some other formats, this was just already in Tiled).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2043 on: March 03, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
If you can find something better suited, be my guest. I think it was called something like Ironic Cartoon Voice on SD.
How about this one (with better quality)?  :)

(oh, we can load hex-tiles, 3Dtiles and maybe some other formats, this was just already in Tiled).
3Dtiles without an artist? Is it even possible?

I like Alkion's style a lot but with magic and attack "on the ground", instead of a separate animation screen
Even though it is practically the Kamidori BE, I kinda dislike separating characters in our case. Maybe a small teams instead, like 2-3 groups with 2-3 members each...

Those maps are way too bright btw. I wanna dark, grim and dangerous dungeons.

p.s. it's difficult to tear your eyes from that bleach dance in options menu  ::)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2044 on: March 03, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »
How about this one (with better quality)?  :)

Nice, but this one is bit too long.

Even though it is practically the Kamidori BE, I kinda dislike separating characters in our case. Maybe a small teams instead, like 2-3 groups with 2-3 members each...

That would not allow on the map combat... might be easier to code though! We don't have to make the decision right now or we can do it both ways depending on the location.

Those maps are way too bright btw. I wanna dark, grim and dangerous dungeons.

Well, loading another tileset is easy. Also tiled has "sewers" tileset by default. Implementing a proper dungeon system with collect/trap/terrain tiles is a LOT of work, but with Tiled it no longer seems so out of reach as before... maybe we'll pull it off someday. (still an extensive dungeon system would be better implemented in RPGMaker... and there is a brothel sim on that platform that is pretty good)

p.s. it's difficult to tear your eyes from that bleach dance in options menu  ::)

... good!

3Dtiles without an artist? Is it even possible?

How about making a hentai game without one ??? We just don't know where to look for tilesets, I am sure there plenty around, but this is like for version 2.5 if we ever get there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:18:40 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2045 on: March 03, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
That would not allow on the map combat... might be easier to code though! We don't have to make the decision right now or we can do it both ways depending on the location.
Not necessarily. For example, one character for close and one for ranged combat, or one fighter and one mage, etc.

Nice, but this one is bit too long.
Well, you don't have to wait until it stops before loading the brothel screen screen. High quality version.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2046 on: March 03, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »

Oh, maybe can we get the ending credits dance from Highschool DxD? In some screen as well?

They look like dis:
http://cybersteelex.blogspot.com/2012/02/high-school-dxd-gif-collection.html

This could be the end ...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2047 on: March 03, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
Oh, maybe can we get the ending credits dance from Highschool DxD? In some screen as well?

They look like dis:
http://cybersteelex.blogspot.com/2012/02/high-school-dxd-gif-collection.html

Got something else planned for that... I really don't feel like writing tonight and there is not much else left to do, so... Inspired by Roman's ending theme of Ceramic Hearts, I'll see if I can cook up something similar for our gallery!
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2048 on: March 03, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
- Fixed potential disposition bug
- Added transition loop to the gallery
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2049 on: March 04, 2014, 05:20:06 AM »
Ending credits? What are you going to write there? We are a small team with short usernames  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2050 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:06 AM »
Ending credits? What are you going to write there? We are a small team with short usernames  :)

We don't have an ending yet either but when we will, I'll think of something.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2051 on: March 04, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
Still hacking at code, doing some of the stuff planned for post-@ that could be of use today. Rewrote some borrowed code and tweaked our own a bit. Managed to increase productivity of AlphaBlend (PyTFall letters on the main screen) and all auto-animations in the game by 50 - 500%. Game will no longer hang on entering options from main menu and during complex auto-loaded animations in BE.

- Improved AlphaBlend on the main screen
- Improved transitions on SlideShow in the gallery
- Cleared out some obsolete borrowed code that slower down auto-animations
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:59:53 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2052 on: March 04, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
Where did all the writers go to? At this point Girlsmeets/Interaction texts are like 90% of the remaining workload for the @, I've done all I could with the code save a major review. Get working (sound of a whip)!
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2053 on: March 04, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
There are plenty of things in the to do list, including NPCs (queen's blade mistress...).
Btw, I believe we have at least 1 spell per element (I'll add more at this weekend), you can strike it out from the list.

Actually, what will happen to the arena and all BE content after you will add Alkion's EE/BE?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2054 on: March 04, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »
There are plenty of things in the to do list, including NPCs (queen's blade mistress...).

I've updated the list and most of it is writing... tell me if I forgot something.

What should I do about Blue? Put something in about her being a clone, a sister, add an event to trigger if player enters with QB girl on his team into slavemarket? To be perfectly honest, I don't really give a sh!t about it, it would be a pain to look for NPCs that cannot be unique girls. This doesn't break your "fourth wall" and it's a magical universe so a lookalike is not out of place without any explanations.

Actually, what will happen to the arena and all BE content after you will add Alkion's EE/BE?

We are not likely to abandon Jake's BE for the Arena at this point... only if I decide to code something similar but in that case, I'll make use of all the resources we've created. My combination of Jakes BE and maps from Tiled looks promising as well, I am not entirely sure Alkion's BE is a better concept. I discussed that with Roman and maybe convinced him to switch from that text file with letters insanity to Tiled as well. Basically, we'll haven't decided or even discussed exploration yet so talking about porting Alkions BE is premature.
Like what we're doing?