Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821840 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2070 on: March 06, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »
I'll start with gifts in an hour, if anyone has any ideas for girlsmeets/interactions that are heavy on coding, let me know and I'll try to get it done tonight as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2071 on: March 06, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »

LoL I love Ino's look near the Arena "_"

Gifts are more or less ready without texts, getting rid of unused choices for the @ is next.

Edit:
Got rid of useless choices and created labels with singe text as a placeholder for everything else.

Going to take a look at Interactions now and do the same.

Edit 2:

Done as well.

I am going to do one last thing (add renpy Character class to our PyTFall class, for now with some simple options to be expanded upon later) and then push.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:57:43 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2072 on: March 06, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
SF Updated:

- Imported gift items into the game and added them to girlsmeets
- Added say attribute to characters set to Ren'Pys Character class with a side-image and ivory colored nickname
- Added the above whereever appropriate to the code
- Added two_window to all/most text-lines
- Added some comments and placeholders to girlsmeets and interactions
- Removed all non-@ interactions and girlsmeers
- Fixed a bug with music in the Arena-Outside girlsmeets
- Adjusted databases loading order
- Moved some of the interactions we are not going to use for the Alpha to separate files

Edit:

Note: You guys will have to delete all bytecode files after pulling due to files split.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2073 on: March 06, 2014, 11:34:55 PM »
Guess I'll try to write texts for gifts if you give me format.

How about adding race string field to girls data files for the alpha? Even if we don't use it for now, we will anyway.
Also, we have to do something about initial stats in data files. Since we have normalization, I even not sure if we need them in their current form.

Offline Ioriya

« Reply #2074 on: March 07, 2014, 01:03:33 AM »

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 10, in script
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 109, in python
  File "game/library/classes - support.rpy", line 86, in python
  File "game/library/classes - arena and exploration.rpy", line 2051, in python
  File "game/library/classes - arena and exploration.rpy", line 694, in python
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'fighting_days'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "E:\Games\renpy-6.17.0-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 294, in run
    node.execute()
  File "E:\Games\renpy-6.17.0-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 732, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\Games\renpy-6.17.0-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1358, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 109, in <module>
    pytfall.next_day()
  File "game/library/classes - support.rpy", line 86, in next_day
    self.arena.next_day()
  File "game/library/classes - arena and exploration.rpy", line 2051, in next_day
    self.update_matches()
  File "game/library/classes - arena and exploration.rpy", line 694, in update_matches
    elif setup[2] not in team.leader.fighting_days and team.leader not in self.get_matches_fighters(matches="1v1"):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'fighting_days'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.3.327
PytFall 0.38

Does anyone happen to know what this error is about?

It seems to prevent me from going on to the next day.

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2075 on: March 07, 2014, 02:18:56 AM »

Does anyone happen to know what this error is about?

It seems to prevent me from going on to the next day.
This usually means game didn't found any random girls to fill the arena with fighters. Either you don't have them or you placed them wrong. It's explained on previous page...
You get similar errors if you don't have Naruto0, Naruto and Persona packs too. They all are currently requested by dev version.
If that's not it, then sorry...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2076 on: March 07, 2014, 07:09:16 AM »
Guess I'll try to write texts for gifts if you give me format.

I will not! It's the same deal as with jsons m8 (you managed to create last three almost with 0 errors and no formats from my side)... We chose Ren'Py because it offers the easiest, most intuitive and cleanest form of adding text imaginable. There have been plenty of people who had harder time understanding how if/elif/else fork works than adding pics and texts through Ren'Py script, not mentioning that I made it even easier at some places taking game specifics into account.

Take a look at the pyt - labels - girlsmeets.rpy file, preferably in JEdit (can be downloaded in Ren'Py launcher and has it's syntax highlighting) and you may also take a look Tutorial OR better yet, Ren'Py documentation on Dialogue and Narration but even examples and comments in the file should be enough.

How about adding race string field to girls data files for the alpha? Even if we don't use it for now, we will anyway.

You were the one against it if I recall correctly? I support the idea 100%.

Also, we have to do something about initial stats in data files. Since we have normalization, I even not sure if we need them in their current form.

Normalization simply caps them, there is still a range that can put a good difference between fighter and service girl... Alkions approach is to do away with starting stats all together, we can take that direction as well but I am not sure it's the best one.

===============================
I need to think of something to do for the evening... prolly best to go on writing logic with placeholders for texts for interactions?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2077 on: March 07, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »
Take a look at the pyt - labels - girlsmeets.rpy file, preferably in JEdit (can be downloaded in Ren'Py launcher and has it's syntax highlighting)
Um, I'm just not sure if I need to create a new file or use some existing one.

You were the one against it if I recall correctly? I support the idea 100%.
Nope, as long as it is a simple string without restrictions. At the worst, we could use a normalization of some kind for it in the future.

Normalization simply caps them, there is still a range that can put a good difference between fighter and service girl... Alkions approach is to do away with starting stats all together, we can take that direction as well but I am not sure it's the best one.
If you want a difference between classes, different initial bonuses for different occupations can be hardcoded.

Maybe we should use not absolute values in data files, but relative ones. It will be much more easy for pack makers, including me, instead of having to remember about caps all the time. Like, charisma 30 for lvl 1 girl should mean 30% of max possible charisma at lvl 1.

Also, it would be better to use level field instead of exp for the very same reason. The game can calculate required exp by itself, why it have to be me?  :)

We also could use health stat, for example if character will be injured (or dead?) when you find her, so you have to heal/resurrect/clone her. Although, maybe it will be easier to implement with scripts.

We probably don't need famous trait after all. I never used it (including wm ex packs), and we have reputation stat anyway.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2078 on: March 07, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »
Um, I'm just not sure if I need to create a new file or use some existing one.

Existing one, I'll split them on the code review.

Maybe we should use not absolute values in data files, but relative ones. It will be much more easy for pack makers, including me, instead of having to remember about caps all the time. Like, charisma 30 for lvl 1 girl should mean 30% of max possible charisma at lvl 1.

Also, it would be better to use level field instead of exp for the very same reason. The game can calculate required exp by itself, why it have to be me?  :)

First thing is doable... I'll code this in tonight.

Lets leave the second thing for when the code is more mature.

We also could use health stat, for example if character will be injured (or dead?) when you find her, so you have to heal/resurrect/clone her. Although, maybe it will be easier to implement with scripts.

We probably don't need famous trait after all. I never used it (including wm ex packs), and we have reputation stat anyway.

Scripts are easier in this case, yes.

Traits are up to you, this can be something girls has to gain, not something she starts with... but it can be reflected with stats as well. It doesn't do any harm even if it stays, does it?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2079 on: March 07, 2014, 09:09:05 AM »
It doesn't do any harm even if it stays, does it?
Fair enough.

Finished quite big DOA pack for this week, next is something small with hyakka_ryouran_samurai_girls tag.
Thus, only 3 small tags left, then 4 unique characters from dragon quest, and my alpha sheet will be completed  :)
We could use more random girls, so I'll try to find them after that.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2080 on: March 07, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
About to start with percentages, it should be doable but still not as easy as I thought...

After I am done with that I'll either write some logic for interactions/girlsmeets or just find some code to hack at in TODO list or just randomly in the game.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2081 on: March 07, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »
I found ost from ar tonelico (two first parts are basically music orientated games, so sounds are very decent). Will try to find something good for every location.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2082 on: March 07, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
I found ost from ar tonelico (two first parts are basically music orientated games, so sounds are very decent). Will try to find something good for every location.

Ok, there are not many left, just the main-street/shops (CW already got one for the tailor store) and girls list/profile but I do not really feel the need for music there. We could always use more choices for tracks at any location I guess.

I am done with the code for percentages for Normal, Crazy and Random girls, going to test that now and look for something else to work on.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2083 on: March 07, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
My db\music, all tracks are named according to locations.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2084 on: March 07, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »
My db\music, all tracks are named according to locations.

Ok, I'll take a look at that now. Percentages are prolly ready... There is no way of telling for sure since traits are messing stuff up and I don't feel like creating dummies for testing. At least nothing is crashing.

Edit:
Awesome selection, city is very depressing so we'll keep looking and I nature sounds are prolly better for the forest, I'll put the rest in now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:44:06 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?