devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821419 times)

Offline Sysreq

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2145 on: March 10, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
Preparing to do my first push in a little while once I figure it out fully lol...In any case, girlsmeets is now typo-free and grammatically correct.

Also, I was thinking more about events and if we could use the girls' stats for them?  For example, I randomly thought off the top of my head perhaps a maid event where the player could run into Sakuya from Touhou and if the player had a girl with a service stat of X or greater, then they get some money or an item or something, I dunno.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #2146 on: March 10, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »
Also, I was thinking more about events and if we could use the girls' stats for them?  For example, I randomly thought off the top of my head perhaps a maid event where the player could run into Sakuya from Touhou and if the player had a girl with a service stat of X or greater, then they get some money or an item or something, I dunno.

LoL

I've actually just coded in simple conditioning with strings and even advanced conditioning for events with inheritance and custom method :)

Edit:

Going to push the event update and try to get some sleep. With this, event system is fairly close to how I've imagined it would be.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:23:02 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2147 on: March 11, 2014, 01:40:18 AM »
True... but like I've said, it would be nice to know the direction early.
My opinion is since renpy disigned for VN in the first place, we should use that part in full before adding something completly new. Meaning forest EE with arena BE.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2148 on: March 11, 2014, 05:24:27 AM »
My opinion is since renpy disigned for VN in the first place, we should use that part in full before adding something completly new. Meaning forest EE with arena BE.

Well, if noone objects... I actually had a full bag of ideas on how to improve upon that :) If only I had written them down somewhere... oh well, it'll all come back to me.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2149 on: March 11, 2014, 06:05:50 AM »
Moreover, we could use general first-person view for battles, like in Might and Magic series. Probably will be easier to create animation, no need for battle sprites, less stringent requirements for backgrounds.
Maybe less pretty though, but maybe not.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2150 on: March 11, 2014, 06:32:47 AM »
Moreover, we could use general first-person view for battles, like in Might and Magic series. Probably will be easier to create animation, no need for battle sprites, less stringent requirements for backgrounds.
Maybe less pretty though, but maybe not.

More info please, you mean a sprite just hanging in the air in-front of view or a tactical grid battlefield view with scenery all around? We already need sprites for Arena so that's not much of an issue...

Edit:

Another thing we've never considered by the way... Heroes of might and magic have really good editors for scenery. Leaving enough for a battle-grid in the middle, it would look freaking amazing, use our battle-resources from the Arena, would be super simple to add couple not passable grid-tiles just for the kick of it (water, rocks). It's yet another really good option that would require quite a bit of work thought :)

===
Anyway, there'll be good four - five hours for the project from my side today... I better find something to do or I'll just waste it if I loose focus again. Best bet is prolly to start with Peevish magic teachings. I can start in about four hours.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:48:02 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2151 on: March 11, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
An example.

We look through party's "general eyes". Same could be done with arena btw.
It's just an option, but I think it will allow us to use more seamless transition between EE and BE.

It also will solve the problem with characters without battle sprites once and for all.

I better find something to do or I'll just waste it if I loose focus again. Best bet is prolly to start with Peevish magic teachings. I can start in about four hours.
Btw I find it strange that the leprechaun, a forest creature, knows water magic. Shouldn't he teach earth magic only? Maybe we need one creature per element? A mermaid for water, an undead (the woman with scythe that I found) for darkness, etc.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:53:25 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2152 on: March 11, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
We look through party's "general eyes". Same could be done with arena btw.
It's just an option, but I think it will allow us to use more seamless transition between EE and BE.

It also will solve the problem with characters without battle sprites once and for all.

Well... It would simplify a lot of stuff... Like then we wouldn't need Jake's BE at all. But it would also prevent a number of things like watching/betting on Arena fights or dungeouns as we first envisioned them. On the other hand 3D like dungeoun evironment like in Reidy would be possible as the next stepping stone.

I was taking about something like this myself:
Link

Btw I find it strange that the leprechaun, a forest creature, knows water magic. Shouldn't he teach earth magic only? Maybe we need one creature per element? A mermaid for water, an undead (the woman with scythe that I found) for darkness, etc.

If you volunteer to write events for 5 more NPCs before the Alpha... I am actually thinking about him teaching all magic until better system is implemented.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2153 on: March 11, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
I was looking for beggar girl sprite, but I only found one and she's too hardcore for the event text - when I tried her in game, it didn't feel good at all...

So I began to look for girl by status (=she is poor in anime, but doesn't look like shabby beggar), but my number 1# fav girl for that Poorfag from Madoka doesn't have a quality full body pic  :(  and I don't know many other. (but there is loli who is a god of poverty, lol)
Didn't expect to be this hard...

If I'll ever write events, I'll look for pics first, because doing it the other way is a real pain...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:55:54 AM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2154 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
I was looking for beggar girl sprite, but I only found one and she's too hardcore for the event text - when I tried her in game, it didn't feel good at all...
So I began to look for girl by status (=she is poor in anime, but doesn't look like shabby beggar), but my number 1# fav girl for that Poorfag from Madoka doesn't have a quality full body pic  :(  and I don't know many other. (but there is loli who is a god of poverty, lol)
Didn't expect to be this hard...

If I'll ever write events, I'll look for pics first, because doing it the other way is a really unproductive...

You know how to change texts as well...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2155 on: March 11, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
Why only the two of us discuss EE/BE anyway? We have at least three more active members even now  :D
I guess we could use a poll after the alpha.

If you volunteer to write events for 5 more NPCs before the Alpha... I am actually thinking about him teaching all magic until better system is implemented.
I almost finished with packs, I mean with those of them that I want here and now.
So I won't make new ones until slavetraining unless I have nothing to do at all. Might as well write some events.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2156 on: March 11, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »
I almost finished with packs, I mean with those of them that I want here and now.
So I won't make new ones until slavetraining unless I have nothing to do at all. Might as well write some events.

Kewl, well, there are still more magical attacks, adding magic to mobs on you.

+ Packs are not very important right now, we already have plenty, unless maybe a couple extra random girls... There is plenty of other stuff that is higher priority.

Why only the two of us discuss EE/BE anyway? We have at least three more active members even now  :D
I guess we could use a poll after the alpha.

Maybe noone gives a damn, even I never planned to go to far with BE. Exploration/Mobs/Dungeons I only got involved in cause I figured that you'd help me out with content.

===
I'll start with the magic teaching event in hour and a half.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2157 on: March 11, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
unless maybe a couple extra random girls...
It's not that easy to make a decent one. We need more or less popular, yet blank characters (Rena from mmo, Windows mascots, character classes from Dragon Quest). And ideas are welcomed here.

Another option is just search with tags like red_hair+original and make packs like those elven ones. A lot of work though, especially with eyes color.

Maybe noone gives a damn, even I never planned to go to far with BE. Exploration/Mobs/Dungeons I only got involved in cause I figured that you'd help me out with content.
But we do need some kind of EE anyway. Otherwise it will be WM 2.0.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2158 on: March 11, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »
It's not that easy to make a decent one. We need more or less popular, yet blank characters (Rena from mmo, Windows mascots, character classes from Dragon Quest). And ideas are welcomed here.

Orc girl? MassEffect Girl? StarWars Girl? Giraffe Girl? Zebra Girl? There are many random packs for WM...

Another option is just search with tags like red_hair+original and make packs like those elven ones. A lot of work though, especially with eyes color.
But we do need some kind of EE anyway. Otherwise it will be WM 2.0.

WM 2.0 is kinda what I was going for :)

I am not against EE. But ideas are always plentiful, I actually thought about gangwars with strategy type of battle field and territory control at first for example. I think our path is sound for now.

brb in an hour or two and start coding something then.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2159 on: March 11, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
Isn't crazy's mod basically WM 2.0? While WM EX is WM 1.5 or something. And Abby's Crossing will be 3.0, if Doc won't abandon it.
If you take a look at SM, it has about the same amount of differences between the parts  :)

Orc girl? MassEffect Girl? StarWars Girl? Giraffe Girl? Zebra Girl? There are many random packs for WM...
Nope, you do not understand. In our current random packs all pictures are not completely mutually exclusive. There are either very similar to each other original/too rare for unique pack girls (elves packs), or generic characters (DQ characters classes, mmo character class, mascots) that exist but do not have a personality, so it can be random.
With the exception of slimes capable of changing the colour and form.

Now if I make/port a Zebra pack, will it be the same? Nope. Zebra girls pics are too rare to be not too different from each other. And of course they have nothing to do with classes/mascots. While they will work, of course, they will reduce the overall quality.

I tried ragnarok online characters, but somehow they are all different, even within the same class. Now if you know classes/mascots/something like that, that would be very helpful.
Otherwise I have no choice but to use hair colour/original combination.

p.s. danbooru changing servers again, no random packs today  ::)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:56:56 PM by DarkTl »