devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821912 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2805 on: June 24, 2014, 06:55:49 AM »
Yey!

I finally found a decent, simple way to add "dropdowns" to the girlslist! Gotta go now, but when I'll be back, I'll do the same for the jobs :)

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2806 on: June 24, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »
I'm working with traits right now, converting them to json along the way.

Maybe we should tie somehow races to traits.
Currently we have a lot of checks for AB, alien and not human traits. And that's more than enough, there no need to make checks for races individually.

However, for example, all elves are not humans. Thus, everyone of them should have Not Human trait and <dark, forest, high> Elf race.
Looks like an overkill to me, especially since not human trait does not give any bonuses at all, it's basically a flag for checks and nothing more.
The situation is better for AB and Alien, those traits give bonuses and penalties at least, but then again any angel/demon is Alien.

Even if we will use races as traits, it won't change anything. You still have to use both Elven Blood and Not Human trait for every elf.

Seems a bit messy. What do you think?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2807 on: June 24, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
Ok, you figure it out.

I'd appreciate all possible combinations that we're going to use so I could hijack the race property and turn it into a method that would report the required sting.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2808 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
Just pushed SF update, hard to believe the code is acutally so simple, I've been thinking about how to get it done for a while but never actually got around to doing it.

Now both location and action settings are working from the girls list. Next is the Apartment (+1 AP for the MC) and I want to start with the simulated exploration module tonight if I have the strength to do so.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2809 on: June 24, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
but I have no idea if I ever get around to creating blueprints for clients of different castes and noone else wants to do it.
I want to do it, and I'll do it after traits and jobs balancing  :)
==============================================================================

The easiest way to support any possible race combinations is to use general traits races. Elven blood, celestial/infernal origin, undead, monster, anthropomorphic animal, android/cyborg, etc.
So in case of half-breeds we could just use several traits. It's quite accurate in terms of flags, but not accurate in terms of stats. All half-breeds will have full power of both races, that's illogical.
The problem is that even with as general as possible race traits the number of traits rises considerably, and they don't carry much semantic load either.

Another way is to create a separate json for all races, with optional bonuses and penalties.
But this way works poorly with half-breeds. You have to manually create a new race for every new species you add into the game.

Using current traits + race as a simple string won't help much. There are tons of elves for example, with different names too (high, forest, dark, etc), it will be impossible to properly use as flags. Unless you have advanced strings analyzer in plans.

So I propose this:
1) json with base races types
    {
    "id": "Elven Blood",
    "desc": "This girl is of the elven race.",
    "mod": {"constitution": -10},
    "min": {"agility": 10},
    "traits" : {"Not Human"}
    },
    {
    "id": "Undead",
    "desc": "This girl is basically dead.",
    "mod": {"constitution": 10}
    "min": {"charisma": -10}
    }
]

2) In girls data files we specify both actual race name and base race (optionaly, by default either Human or Unknown, I guess). For example, race name Ghost and race type Undead. This way the girl will have Ghost race, while with the help of Undead race type the game knows that she should hang around a cemetery.

3) For half-breeds you could type anything you want in race name, as for types, usually they act and live as one of their parents, like half-elves either live in a city as humans or in a forest as elves. So depending on character you should choose a base race, since it's just a flag and nothing more. This is the best we can do without advanced coding. It's just an example, I'll create half-elf base race of course, but I cannot create all possible half-breed races.

4) Artificial Body is a vague thing. Sometimes it's a race, sometimes it's a trait.
Not Human is a flag, nothing more. And usually it's pretty clear if the character is human or not.
Alien is quite complicated. Let's say, we have an angel that lived among humans all her life and doesn't have any special powers at all. So she is an angel, but not an Alien.

So, in cases when we sure that some specific race should have specific trait, we could use traits field, like in that example above. All elves are not humans, all adroids have AB. When a race has traits, all girls with this race will have these traits, no matter whether they specified in girls data files or not. Yet we cannot remove these traits completely, since in some cases they should be used manually.

==============================================================================
I'm not sure about p.4, perhaps it's a bit too complicated, but 1-3 sound reasonable.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2810 on: June 24, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »
I don't think any of this is practical. For now perfect way would be to differentiate between Humans, Elves, SlimeGirls, Angels, Undead (don't think we have any btw), Demons and Droids. I don't really care that much about the half-breeds/variations because I do not see a realistic application for such.

In fact just Humans/Elves/MonsterGirls(Rest of them) would prolly be enough for the next year of development. Rest is a luxury and will do more slowing down to the development than they'll do good.

I don't care how it's done...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2811 on: June 24, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
We have a ghost and a zombie from Queen's Blade. And there is at least 1 vampire. Also some furry types. And several girls that actually-an-item-that-can-transform-into-a-human.
I'd rather create powerful enough system from the begining rather than redo everything from scratch in the future.

Long story short, we need race as a flag and as a decoration at the same time.
Thus, girls need both base race (known variable, as a flag) and actual race (arbitrary string, as a decoration).
Even if we'll use only 3 flags for now, I mean your Humans/Elves/MonsterGirls system, it still works perfectly. And it will help us in the future when we'll decide to expand it (we will, unless we stop the development, just because there will be new locations, more suitable for some races).

So, in girls data files there will be race and base_race fields. Base races are Human, Elf, Angel, Demon, Monster, Furry, Droid, Unknown. If you insist, I can use Humans/Elves/Monsters system for now though.
And in the future there will be optional json with race bonuses (we can live without it now).

Oh, btw we should probably convert girls data files into jsons as well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:40:43 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2812 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
Redo and expand are different things. Anyway, it's like I've said, I told you what is required for my purposes, rest is up to you.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2813 on: June 24, 2014, 02:53:04 PM »
My last push for today I think, it is now possible to buy an apartment for 5000 Gold (prolly more in the future). If MCs location is that apartment, he gets one extra AP every day. Other than that it serves no purpose (yet).

Not sure if I am going to start with the simulated exploration module today...

- Added Apartment to the realtor
- Changing MCs location is possible from the MC profile screen now
- Updated brothel property of Player
- Added buildings property to Player
- Updated realtor intro with new version of Klaus's text

Edit: Spent about 2 hours reading up on Drag/Drop posts on Lemma. I was about to go with a normal interface but now decided to try and make a drag/drop interface for the simulated exploration tomorrow.

@ Dark:

I am going to start working on simulated exploration tomorrow, laying out interface and some basic logic first but we'll eventually need some locations with levels and possible rewards (Gold, girltypes to capture and items found with chances).

For now the idea is to crate a new building type where player can form teams out of girls (predominantly warriors I expect) and raid/explore the city surroundings, each "quest" will take several days to accomplish and entire team may die/get seriously injured if they're sent to a location that's to difficult for them.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:04:52 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline gyzbug

« Reply #2814 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
Just ran into this online a few days ago and downloaded it to try it out.  I am really looking forward to all this has to offer.  Everything seems to work for the most part, trying to reproduce a barfight error I got so I can post the notes on it.  I hope in the future there are alot more areas to explore to meet girls since finding the ones you want can be hidden behind other girls you have to hire to make room for more.

Also, when does the inventory reset in shops and will there be a way to control the occurance of high end items for later in game without file editing.

I see alot of Dev posts here so if this gets in the way feel free to remove it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:00:50 PM by gyzbug »
I just jumped into the deep end and didn't code how to swim first.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2815 on: June 25, 2014, 01:34:21 AM »
Everything seems to work for the most part, trying to reproduce a barfight error I got so I can post the notes on it.

It's been fixed (unless it's something new obviously).

I hope in the future there are alot more areas to explore to meet girls since finding the ones you want can be hidden behind other girls you have to hire to make room for more.

You're not really forced into hiring. Girlsmeets will update themselves. The left most girl will be the once you already know best so if you have favorites, don't try and get to know all of them, that way you'll have access to favs all the time.

Also, when does the inventory reset in shops and will there be a way to control the occurance of high end items for later in game without file editing.

Reset is every 5 - 7 days I believe. I wanted to make sort of the "PyTFall Herald" that you could buy/auto-buy for a small sum of gold. It would report on things happening in town, like Arena Fights, shops restocking, sm restocking, events, girls looking for work and etc. Just never got around to it.
========================================================
Dev version is well ahead of the Alpha version at the moment, I've even raised it to 0.47 from 0.45 so I'd expect remaining (rare) bugs from the last Alpha patch have been fixed already.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2816 on: June 25, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »
I guess we could use healers then? I recall some plans involving healer occupation at the beginning of development. Though whole occupation is an overkill, I think.
In simbro there are traits like medic/chakra medic.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2817 on: June 25, 2014, 01:59:05 AM »
I guess we could use healers then? I recall some plans involving healer occupation at the beginning of development. Though whole occupation is an overkill, I think.
In simbro there are traits like medic/chakra medic.

Seems premature, we need managers first (like matrons)... Lets take it one step at a time, there is plenty to do as it is.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2818 on: June 25, 2014, 04:15:48 AM »
Let's clarify some logic behind stats again, in case if something has changed.

I can discrease and increase max health via traits.
I can increase min fatigue, so a weak girl will never have 0 fatigue (perfectly rested).
I can change max fatigue, so a girl either will have less or more max fatigue than other girls, thus gets tired faster or slower.
I can change upkeep via json the same way, "mod": {"upkeep": 10}. And upkeep does not depend on level, like other mod stats.
Right?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:07:21 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2819 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:19 AM »
Let's clarify some logic behind stats again, in case if something has changed.

I can discrease and increase max health via traits.
I can increase min fatigue, so a weak girl will never have 0 fatigue (perfectly rested).
I can change max fatigue, so a girl either will have less or more max fatigue than other girls, thus gets tired faster or slower.
I can change upkeep via json the same way, "mod": {"upkeep": 10}. And upkeep does not depend on level, like other mod stats.
Right?

Sounds about right. I'd avoid modding mins all together but we can disable that in code if it causes trouble.

I will start throwing together an interface prototype for fighting guild soon.

In json:

"mod": {"defence": 20, "attack": 20}

all mods in one dict, otherwise you'll overwrite the first with the last.
Like what we're doing?