Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821637 times)

Offline MrKlaus

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #3735 on: September 30, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
Ok... so the way I see Klauses approach considering the code is setting an amount responses on per day bases for every girl (first encounter eats up 1AP regardless). After that amount is reached girls simply respond with something like: Lets talk again tomorrow/We're done for the day and etc.

What I meant was that meeting a girl would take 1AP.
The whole thing looks something like this: MC goes to town, looks around, see a girl that he like, selecting her from the given three would consume 1AP and on the dialog options (top, bottom or nowhere) a counter how many times she would speak with him. Speaking to her after a day or few would also consume 1AP to start the conversation.

The number of possible actions could be random or set. For example:

Girl have a bad day: “Make it quick.” = only 2 actions.
She have a good day: “Hello. Nice weather today, isn’t it?” = 4 to 6 actions (even on 1st meet)

She is hostile towards
MC: “What do you want? Scum… = only 2 actions
She likes him: “Oh hi you!” = 3 to 4 actions.
She loves him: “Mhmm…. I hope we will spend the whole day together” = go wild give 10?

Or something base on MC stats, but here it would be TO MUCH work in my opinion because the number should be also based on girl traits, example:

Girl is a Nympho: “hey there sexy!” = random number of actions, easier flirt/sex.
Girls is smart, MC INT check: “I think we will have a pleasant conversation” or “I will speak with you using short and simple words for your convenience, ups… “
Girl is a gold digger, MC $$$ amount check, and other things that we could come up with.

Or#2 base the number on MC charisma. The stat is there for something.

Or #3 base it on the affection lvl. More she loves him, than she wants to spend more time with her.

Another thing. Talking with her should consume 1AP but I think that if the MC convince her to have sex with him it should exhaust him = also consume AP, but probably I’m over thinking again.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:55:26 PM by MrKlaus »

Offline livingforever

« Reply #3736 on: September 30, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
Hi!
Girl have a bad day: “Make it quick.” = only 2 actions.
She have a good day: “Hello. Nice weather today, isn’t it?” = 4 to 6 actions (even on 1st meet)

She is hostile towards
MC: “What do you want? Scum… = only 2 actions
She likes him: “Oh hi you!” = 3 to 4 actions.
She loves him: “Mhmm…. I hope we will spend the whole day together” = go wild give 10?
While that would be more realistic, I don't like it for gameplay reasons: It sounds too much like a snowball effect.

For those unfamiliar with the term, it basically means that the more you get, the faster you will get it in the future. In this case it means that it would take a long while to get her to like/love you, but as soon as you do you can hire her after a single meeting.
Have fun!

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3737 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
What I meant was that meeting a girl would take 1AP.
The whole thing looks something like this: MC goes to town, looks around, see a girl that he like, selecting her from the given three would consume 1AP and on the dialog options (top, bottom or nowhere) a counter how many times she would speak with him. Speaking to her after a day or few would also consume 1AP to start the conversation.
Not sure about the moods, but I like the separate counter from AP. Something like -1AP, 3 interactions point at start, and then you can ask the girl for more time for another -1AP, +3 interactions with that girl.
But AP*3 sound fine too.

Hard to guess about the numbers when the game doesn't have any time limit yet.

For those unfamiliar with the term, it basically means that the more you get, the faster you will get it in the future. In this case it means that it would take a long while to get her to like/love you, but as soon as you do you can hire her after a single meeting.

I believe that we don't want hiring the girls to be that much disposition related (=no need for love) so girls joining as soon as they started to trust you a little or even right away in some cases may actually be the norm.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:29:49 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #3738 on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:05 AM »
Not sure about the moods, but I like the separate counter from AP. Something like -1AP, 3 interactions point at start, and then you can ask the girl for more time for another -1AP, +3 interactions with that girl.

Basically what I suggested at start :)

I believe that we don't want hiring the girls to be that much disposition related (=no need for love) so girls joining as soon as they started to trust you a little or even right away in some cases may actually be the norm.

Yeah, should depend on stats/traits/occupation, disposition should have secondary effects. We always intended it to work that way but with an employment system (girls joins you on normal disposition only if she doesn't have a job already or you're willing to pay her more).

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3739 on: October 01, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
We also have interactions system that should and will work in a similar way. So we have to consider that snowball effect anyway. Progress should be more or less smooth.

I do my best to work on the project these days, but I have stuff to do at work (for a change), so I have less time than usual.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:28:02 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3740 on: October 01, 2014, 11:49:37 AM »
I do my best to work on the project these days, but I have stuff to do at work (for a change), so I have less time than usual.

That's ok. I seem to have less and less time as well and it's also work related. When Thewlis finishes up Jail prototype the plan is to wrap up SE girl capture (need jail for that as well). This weekend I'll try to take a look at girlsmeets AP thing (shouldn't be too difficult), we just have to agree on approach before that.

So far, unless I miscounted, we have (without time based option):

Thewlis way *Wider global AP Scale (Times 3): 3 votes (Thewlis, Dark, living).
My way *Girlsmeets points: 2 votes (CW and me).
Klaus way *More complex Girlsmeets points: 1 vote (Klaus).

Unless I am misunderstood someone. Noone else seem to have said anything about this so it's 3 vs 3 atm since Klauses proposal is a more advanced version of mine and we can just code that instead or improve towards that later.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3741 on: October 04, 2014, 05:11:31 AM »
Added Klaus rings, reworked rings and gifts a bit.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3742 on: October 04, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »
I've got yours and CWs updates and pushed a prototype of simple "Girlsmeets Points" (AP * 3 proved to be harder to code in practice so we'll try this first) and Gismos request for replacing MC Pics choice viewport with arrows and pictures instead.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3743 on: October 04, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »
I've got yours and CWs updates and pushed a prototype of simple "Girlsmeets Points" (AP * 3 proved to be harder to code in practice so we'll try this first) and Gismos request for replacing MC Pics choice viewport with arrows and pictures instead.
About that MC creating screen... the battle_sprites we have are adjusted to look ok in arena where they are just resized and placed in space, but they look kinda off-scaled next to each other when fitted somewhere like in this case.  (it was not so obvious in the previous look)
So I think maybe you could get rid of the limiting frames and show them like in battle, of cycle portraits instead with sprite appearing elsewhere on that screen or we can get rid of the empty spaces in those pictures themselves to make them look ok there, but then we need some other measure to properly scale then in battles, like some customizable multiplier of the sprites size and offset. (could be good for large or small monsters too)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:22:47 AM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3744 on: October 04, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »
GPs work better than usual APs for sure. We can make the system more complex later if needed.
I wonder what means that scale at girlsmeets screen.

Offline livingforever

« Reply #3745 on: October 04, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
Hi!
we can get rid of the empty spaces in those pictures themselves to make them look ok there
This sounds like something that I can take care of. Could you explain what exactely you want to do with those sprites? Which "empty spaces" do you want to get rid of?

As for the "why me", images imported for tagging will be modified by the tagger anyway, squeezing in another step is no problem at all.
What the tagger is currently doing (all optional, of course):
  • Resize (to a default width of 1280)
  • Analyze PNG images for transparency, if no transparency is found save the image as high quality JPEG instead
  • Analyze JPEG quantization tables for compression level, if the quality is above 90, recompress the image as high quality
  • Import tags from JSON instead of reading the filenames or don't parse tags at all
  • Move the original instead of copying it
Have fun!

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3746 on: October 04, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
Hi!This sounds like something that I can take care of. Could you explain what exactely you want to do with those sprites? Which "empty spaces" do you want to get rid of?
dunno how thats called so have a picture

(upper line): Usually unedited sprites are cut out just to contain the character and that means scaling them into arena often results in disproportions or off centering the body (spell animations looks weird if the body is not in the middle of the pics)
(bottom line): I avoided that in a dirty way by adding some empty-space to the sprites when needed so they are ok height after rescale. It works but it's a bit unintuitive and also result in unedited sprites to appear bigger (case of some random girls already)
So what we could use I guess is some scaling parameters to entry with the sprites (probably in girl xml or arena/mobs json) so we don't have to edit the pictures but still get the result. (like that the secong pic should be displayed 1.5 larger for the bodies to match in size)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:36:23 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3747 on: October 04, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
I wonder what means that scale at girlsmeets screen.

Scale?

All of those tagger features sound lovely :)

I have many ideas on how to make it "better" but none that would solve this issue entirely. It's up to the modder to pick decent sprites (battle and quest) that would be a fit in the game. There is a pic in the Naruto pack of Tayuya who's fighting from kneeling position that looks appalling (the worst case we have in the game). I think adding some empty transparent canvas on top and from both sides would improve it a lot if a better battle sprite cannot be found for some reason.

Loading information about the sprites as you suggest would work but we have other priorities atm that seem more important to me. Except a Tayuya, this never actually bothered me personally...
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3748 on: October 04, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
Loading information about the sprites as you suggest would work but we have other priorities atm that seem more important to me. Except a Tayuya, this never actually bothered me personally...
It bothered me a little, but I'm totally ok with the result of editing sprites to better match each other like I did it until now (it should be for all MC, arena and my girls). It just one pics per girl anyway.
Really only think I wanted to comment was, that the battle_sprites will not look good in frames because of it.
(btw. it would be nice if the MC choice screen have both sprite and portrait displayed)

-----------
I'm totally out of inspiration these days so I dropped everything and went back to working on girlpacks a little (some Fate girls), because that doesn't require any thinking at all   :)   sorry!

Are we ok with few items to be left without description? I have some items that I added for SE that I have hard time with...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:39:07 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3749 on: October 04, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
Couple of missing descriptions isn't really an issue at all as far as I am concerned, we'll straighten these things out one by one "when the inspiration hits" :)
Like what we're doing?