devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821711 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #4020 on: November 11, 2014, 02:05:19 AM »
Yup, we'll use that room for actual service and that hall with gears as an entrance and a place for events.
I keep looking for time themed characters, already found some good ones, but the more the better. Cherry, if you don't want to create a church already, I can do it later too.

We just need icons for both of them on the city map.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #4021 on: November 11, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »
We just need icons for both of them on the city map.

It makes sense to use buttons for new locations until map has been voted in. Gismos variant looks really good btw...
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #4022 on: November 11, 2014, 05:01:36 AM »
Cherry, if you don't want to create a church already, I can do it later too.
I myself will not be creating church as a location where you can go to, I was just thinking about using it as a bg in some character related event, no idea what gameplay function could be there.

I already created one location without thinking (tavern), and that just turned to be a waste of time, because I don't have any sensible content for player to do there. 

--------------------------
I'm thinking about adding some simple events to arena "look around" where you MC will just watch some warriors training for occasional bit of experience. But I can't decide about the visuals at all, any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:27:24 AM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4023 on: November 11, 2014, 09:21:12 AM »
I already created one location without thinking (tavern), and that just turned to be a waste of time, because I don't have any sensible content for player to do there. 

And other might. It's a must have location, I for once am thinking about adding a minigame there, we do need to split the city in three living areas, add harbor, add castle (access only after events/reputation), add a bank, add churches for religion... maybe a brothel (was a nice touch in Valet).

It doesn't matter if we have immediate content/use for the locations, just them being there is required...

--------------------------
I'm thinking about adding some simple events to arena "look around" where you MC will just watch some warriors training for occasional bit of experience. But I can't decide about the visuals at all, any ideas?

Ghm... auto-dogfights between teams? ATL animations between battle-sprites with sound? You could find me the resources, I can do the code. Next thing on my list is not the jail/SE content (I need a fresh start for that, not being half dead after a work day), next I want to generalize ATLs by adding parameters to them... similar to what I done for styles, it's fairly straight forward, robotic monkey work :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #4024 on: November 11, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »
It seems that the current dialogue font doesn't support some of the symbols we have in interactions like  ♪ or ☆, that were displayed fine earlier. (or whatever the case is, it's just displaying ? instead)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:56:24 AM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4025 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
Our texts require Unicode support. I don't remember when this started, so I'm not sure where is the problem.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4026 on: November 11, 2014, 10:28:22 AM »
It seems that the current dialogue font doesn't support some of the symbols we have in interactions like  ♪ or ☆, that were displayed fine earlier. (or whatever the case is, it's just displaying ? instead)

Our texts require Unicode support. I don't remember when this started, so I'm not sure where is the problem.

I think they try different encodings internally when working with strings from say window. To use unicode, u needs to be added in-front of the string like hero.say(u"Hello!"). It's not the case here... CW is right, font that was chosen by Gismo simply does not support the characters. Default Ren'Py font however supported everything we had, there are (normal) fonts that are 1.5mb + (that's huge) that literally support whatever the f*ck.

Most fonts in the game are placeholders anyway, we'll have to pick what we go with at some point so if anyone wants to go font hunting...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Gismo

« Reply #4027 on: November 11, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Update:
- Add some new frames for "girls_list" screen.
- Small fixes in "mc-setup", "heroprofile" and "girlsmeets".

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4028 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
Small SF:

- Fixed music not shutting up when skipping mc build-up
- Did some minor work setting up basic transforms, causes weird behavior here and there atm.
Like what we're doing?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #4029 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »
Hey everyone!
So I finally did spend an afternoon searching through my web design stuff to find suitable fonts - and I did.

Overall, I settled with three fonts: Della Respira, EB Garamond and Myriad Pro.
I don't know if I need to, but here are some explanations why these and where they should be used.

Della Respira is the headline font. Originally, I intended to select an ornamental or at least decorative font, but later decided against it to keep the font more versatile and readable. Della Respira is an elegant font with very small serifs and a small Unicode character set (which is intentional for headlines).
The serif font EB Garamond should be used for content. It is the free version of the propably most copied humanist typeface ever (since 1592) and has a relatively large character set (compared to other free fonts).
My last choice, Myriad Pro, is also very common (especially in web design), but differs from the other two in that it is a sans-serif font intended for purely navigational purpose here. In other words, don't use it unless there is no game content (e.g. the filter options for characters or the top bar). Use the semibold version for headlines and the regular version otherwise.
Have fun!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4030 on: November 12, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
Going to put them into the game replacing some of out fonts and see how it looks. Still no medieval looking font :(
Like what we're doing?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #4031 on: November 12, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »
Hi!
Still no medieval looking font :(
What do you define as medieval? I chose a serif font with varying line width to make it look archaic, but there's no way to do much more than that without sacrificing readability.
Have fun!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4032 on: November 12, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
Like what we're doing?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #4033 on: November 12, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
http://www.pickafont.com/fonts/Medieval.html
I see.
The thing is this: A decorative font (like the one you posted) looks interesting in a logo, maybe (just maybe) also in page titles.

However, there are a lot more headlines than that. The character names in the character overview are headlines, the primary menu buttons can be headlines - and so on.
Now of course you could use a decorative font for that as well, but it's usually not a good idea.

If you want an additional font for the logo, go ahead, nothing wrong with that. But the normal elements should always be easy to read, everything else is optional.
Have fun!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4034 on: November 12, 2014, 02:23:20 PM »
I couldn't get Garamond to work properly with Ren'Py, spacing between lines is too big and style simply refuses to remove it for reasons unknown.

Respira and Myriad are working out for now, we'll see if they are well liked or not...
Like what we're doing?