Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821905 times)

Offline livingforever

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #4035 on: November 12, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
Perhaps Ren'Py just doesn't like OTF, try the TTF version from Google Fonts.
Have fun!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #4036 on: November 12, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
Have fun!

I'll give it a try tomorrow, falling asleep here :)
*Myriad is otf as well and it's working great btw.

Otherwise, I've finished with transforms, they are now reusable and not repetitive (I think we actually had simple fade transform defined 3 times). I've also removed 30 (not kidding) fonts from the game folder and replaced them with new fonts that living found whereever they were used.

Default font is still Ren'Py and I didn't mess with anything Gismo did, just messes I (we) made when trying out different fonts/graphics. SlaveMarket screen, for example, looks a lot better now I think (Dark should be happy about it, you hated the font we used).

There is still work to be done, we'll prolly leave some old fonts that blend well with the game as well, but it's a matter of checking out what looks best (and I am not the right person for that job, as I've said, I didn't really mind us having 40+ fonts in the game  ::) ).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:14:14 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4037 on: November 13, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
Have fun!

Thanks, I figured out how to make it right otf should work now too but I'll stick with this one. Personally, this would not be my choice for the game but maybe I just got used to our old fonts.

Edit: Some Examples, same size/color was used. Some would need a bit of fixing but this is to show the "main picture":

Garamond (Livings first pick):

Myriad (Livings second choice):

Tisa (Gismos pick):

DejaVuSans (Default Ren'Py font)

I'll get rid of a couple of more fonts and post everything that we have left.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:26:47 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #4038 on: November 13, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »
Hi!
I think I should mention that I picked the first two fonts together because they synergize pretty well. Using the second without the first is oversimplifying it a bit.
The same goes for the third - it's intended to be used in conjunction with the semibold version of the same font. But this one wasn't intended for so much text anyway.

For your example, that would mean to replace the girl's name and other relevant headlines (Info, Stats, Prof Stats, Traits) with the corresponding font.

But even without that, I think EB Garamond looks best (out of the four presented options). Then again, my opinion is very biased.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:43:04 AM by livingforever »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4039 on: November 13, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
Hi!
I think I should mention that I picked the first two fonts together because they synergize pretty well. Using the second without the first is oversimplifying it a bit.
The same goes for the third - it's intended to be used in conjunction with the semibold version of the same font. But this one wasn't intended for so much text anyway.

For your example, that would mean to replace the girl's name and other relevant headlines (Info, Stats, Prof Stats, Traits) with the corresponding font.

But even without that, I think EB Garamond looks best (out of the four presented options). Then again, my opinion is very biased.
Have fun!

Yeah, I figured that... I like myriad myself for some reason. Next thing on the list is to create content style_group to be used through out the game, that will make changing fonts to check them out a lot easier.

Edit:
SM screen has been properly rewritten, now the whole thing can be restyled just by changing two style properties, this is how it currently looks:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:27:21 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4040 on: November 14, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
Two more screens adapted to work with text styles... some other changes as well done by Gismo and me:

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4041 on: November 14, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »
Origin breaks the fourth wall  ::)

Also, I kinda dislike how lists with traits and stats look. For stats I proposed earlier Kamidori type of bars that show min and max values as well while not being confusing at all.
And traits list is, well, not flashy enough in my opinion. I think every trait/attack/effect/etc should have a frame of some kind around it, maybe even with different colors depending on elements for spells, for example.

What this thing does?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4042 on: November 14, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
Origin breaks the fourth wall  ::)

Tear down that wall :D

We can remove that but in the last discussion decision was made to add that to the profile...

Also, I kinda dislike how lists with traits and stats look. For stats I proposed earlier Kamidori type of bars that show min and max values as well while not being confusing at all.
And traits list is, well, not flashy enough in my opinion. I think every trait/attack/effect/etc should have a frame of some kind around it, maybe even with different colors depending on elements for spells, for example.

What we're doing now is trying to create a way to adapt fonts to content without too much fuss. Noone is saying that this is the "final" version for those screens. Gismo is also trying to create coherent graphics.

I forgot what those bars looked liked (you posted a pic long time ago). We can add stuff like that closer to 1.0 as planned...

For traits I just got rid of the button backgrounds and styled them with fonts.

What this thing does?

It adds/removes the girl from the the player team, I need to take a look why tooltip stopped working, prolly because of the recent changes to Ren'Py screen language...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4043 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »
Npcs for temple of time are ready.

I thought about possible restrictions for resurrection.
First of all, we probably need a quest to make it available. It would explain why not everyone can use it too. It still should track player's girls deaths from the start, so you could revive anyone once you complete it.

I thought about exchanging girls and MC's APs for resurrection (time for time, basically), but it might be too difficult to code.
Is it possible to reduce character's level without too much fuss? All D&D games can do it. At the worst we could just reduce current stats values, but it doesn't feel the same to me.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4044 on: November 14, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
I thought about possible restrictions for resurrection.
First of all, we probably need a quest to make it available. It would explain why not everyone can use it too. It still should track player's girls deaths from the start, so you could revive anyone once you complete it.

That's up to you.

I thought about exchanging girls and MC's APs for resurrection (time for time, basically), but it might be too difficult to code.

Not difficult at all.

Is it possible to reduce character's level without too much fuss? All D&D games can do it. At the worst we could just reduce current stats values, but it doesn't feel the same to me.

"Fuss":
- Get the current pure stat values as a percentage of max.
- Reduce level to 1 and all stats to 0.
- Apply the new level.
- Set the stats to new values based off the percentages stored earlier.

Don't know if it's too much...

Reversing the level as you suggest may be a bit trickier than the above approach.
=============================================================================
I am not sure if it's sensible to put this much effort into this system, it will just ensure that players will spam saves like crazy...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4045 on: November 14, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
I am not sure if it's sensible to put this much effort into this system, it will just ensure that players will spam saves like crazy...
Hm, yeah. Though honest ressurection might give you something good too... Disposition at very least, moar quests from the temple, alignment changes.
I'll think about it. It should be just another option, not punishment.

Not difficult at all.
It might be tricky. I thought about something like 1 AP per level. So in some cases you could spend all APs available to your girls and it still won't be enough, so you should skip the turn and do it again on the next day.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4046 on: November 14, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »
It might be tricky. I thought about something like 1 AP per level. So in some cases you could spend all APs available to your girls and it still won't be enough, so you should skip the turn and do it again on the next day.

I thought you meant MC's AP. No, that's trickier because some girls should refuse that and that's another if/then/when sh!tfork. If you want something like that, simply make it life for a life (sacrifice).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4047 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
Well, you need a slave (or a mind fucked character) for sacrifice then.

I want it to be available not only for rich characters. So money should not be the only option. For example, over time price gradually reduces, so if you are willing to wait long enough (weeks, months), you don't need a lot of money.
Sacrifices could save you some time (and hit disposition and alignment).

If there will be sacrifices, they should not be permanent and bloody (aka Jack-o-nine tails).

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4048 on: November 14, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
We could use Cherry's tavern for rumors, both general to introduce the game world and quest ones to advance through quests.
Like they do it even in huge titles, when npcs tell you random facts about the world.

More importantly, where else to look for clues when you have none? Ask in tavern is better than look around at random streets  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4049 on: November 14, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »
We could use Cherry's tavern for rumors, both general to introduce the game world and quest ones to advance through quests.
Like they do it even in huge titles, when npcs tell you random facts about the world.

More importantly, where else to look for clues when you have none? Ask in tavern is better than look around at random streets  :)

Yeap, that's definetly a decent idea, I got a few 100 more for content :) We need to wrap out a lot of systems as well, ST for once...

*Pushed more updates to screens and fonts... it' is getting more and more coherent.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:43:13 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?