devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821599 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #4455 on: March 13, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
Oh, I can add sets anytime. It's just people continue to ask us about them every time they talk about items, it's not even my idea  :)

I think 4:3 and 16:10 monitors are no longer manufactured, so I don't see any reasons to not use 16:9.

Yeah, it is sensible for physical attacks to consume fatigue.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #4456 on: March 13, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »
Oh, I can add sets anytime. It's just people continue to ask us about them every time they talk about items, it's not even my idea  :)

We'll add them, it's easy logic wise but I don't want to mess with GUI implementations they will ask for if we just add the logic :D We'll move it post next release.

I think 4:3 and 16:10 monitors are no longer manufactured, so I don't see any reasons to not use 16:9.

They are but they are vastly outnumbered by HD and other resolutions with the same ratio. We inherited out res from Alkion. My old burned down laptop also had a 1280x800 screen and my 3D monitor for the PC has the same ratio but new laptop runs HD and I've read on the wiki and noticed when I was hunting for new hardware that almost everything id 16:9 nowadays.

Yeah, it is sensible for physical attacks to consume fatigue.

Oki, I'll keep working on BE then, there is a field with spells you requested available. Give me tomorrow to figure out if it will serve as with the new BE, I want to try and add one area attack tonight. Someone on Lemma forums pointed out that filmstrip that we're using to animate most attacks sucks performance-wise. I am waiting for an alternative, I know how to code one in myself but if one is provided, I will not say no :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4457 on: March 13, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
I'm not sure, I haven't seen any 4:3 in stores for years, even laptops. And 16:10 are very rare, so I assume they are just leftovers.
I had to buy 16:9 even though I had a very good 4:3 because they stopped to support 4:3 in many games and even at some websites.

I propose to add poison and regeneration effects into BE too as examples of effects. I metnioned that already somewhere, we could use power of effect there. Like [poison, 50] means -50 hp per turn.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4458 on: March 13, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
I'm not sure, I haven't seen any 4:3 in stores for years, even laptops. And 16:10 are very rare, so I assume they are just leftovers.
I had to buy 16:9 even though I had a very good 4:3 because they stopped to support 4:3 in many games and even at some websites.

I propose to add poison and regeneration effects into BE too as examples of effects. I metnioned that already somewhere, we could use power of effect there. Like [poison, 50] means -50 hp per turn.

I wanted a huge cataclysmic area attack :) Regen and poison shouldn't be too hard, they will work similarly to how death works right now.

New resolution will require messing with a bunch of screens, I'll do that gradually over some time.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4459 on: March 14, 2015, 10:01:37 AM »
Alright, random packs are retagged too. It's only 700 MB and 2200 pictures, much less than unique ones, even though random characters are more common in the game. How ironic.
We are still working on human random packs, but they are not a part of the next release.

I need to adapt items to our skills system, create items for learning spells, and sort out traits items. Secondary traits are not a big deal, so we can add and remove them, but not main ones.

Do we need anything else in items? Like, I don't know, new weapon types for BE or something?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4460 on: March 14, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »
Great. I've changed a name of one of the items fields (to attacks) and updated all the files. Going to push now.

// Calendar (Moon) is disabled due to a bug in my Ren'Py dev version. It will be back.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4461 on: March 15, 2015, 08:05:32 AM »
You mean the "attack" field is now called "attacks"?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4462 on: March 15, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »
You mean the "attack" field is now called "attacks"?

You'll see after my next push.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4463 on: March 17, 2015, 06:07:55 AM »
Ok, here we go. I'm working on items, so
we should prolly add new fields to items that caps the skill increments for items (so some shitty book cannot increase skill indefinitely.)

Offline kyuubi43

« Reply #4464 on: March 17, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
Or you could just cap the actual skills to save you time.
set a repeating if else statement the if the skill is such in such level the Stat raising item will fail to be used else the item works. Do this by creating a parent class say....Skill Lock.....have it list the needed functions for locking the variables for the skills and stats. Then  child everything that needs the functions  with at minimum one line of code added to the child classes.

I've been following along with most your boards. My main question is whether or not you guys are implementing the K.I.S.S. method of programming to try and look at the problem or are you over complicating the solution?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4465 on: March 17, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Ok, here we go. I'm working on items, so

I did that already, field is called skillmax, older max was renamed to statmax.

Can you throw these files into your DB folder? You can find them in the game, some freaky thing happened and I can no longer find or restore them with any means...

pytfall\game\content\gfx\interface\images\calendar\cal new moon.png
pytfall\game\content\sfx\sound\world\arena\new_opp.mp3
=============================

I've been gathering resources and found another 5 or 600 animations for the BE attacks and magic. Basically we're not likely to put even the very best in the game, will simply be too many. Also managed a few sounds.

I need to write a new function to animate them, Filmstrip is working but we can do a lot better + I was given example of a better approach on lemma. We also will need more attacks, more skill, better stat ranges (to better differentiate between mages and warriors) and a lot more subclasses to current occupation which we already discussed. There are also still some issues with targeting so that'll keep me busy tomorrow (I doubt that there will be time for anything major tonight).

Small update pushed, you should get that before you start working on items.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4466 on: March 17, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
are you over complicating the solution?

We tend to do this most of the time...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4467 on: March 17, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
Or you could just cap the actual skills to save you time.
set a repeating if else statement the if the skill is such in such level the Stat raising item will fail to be used else the item works.
Well, we don't want to cap skills, we want to make different items. Like, one item can rise a skill up to 70, another one up to 200, and a rare one doesn't have limitations at all.

I did that already, field is called skillmax, older max was renamed to statmax.
Yeah, I recall that, but I couldn't find the post about it so I thought maybe I'm mistaken.

So I'll need also to make sure cmax is now statmax, and remove dismod field since it does nothing (and now I think it's for the best, we have gifts for disposition).

Can you throw these files into your DB folder? You can find them in the game, some freaky thing happened and I can no longer find or restore them with any means...
Thrown into your folder. There are a lot of files and folders in mine, you might get confused  :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:32:14 AM by DarkTl »

Offline kyuubi43

« Reply #4468 on: March 17, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
Keep It Simple Stupid was apply to programming for a reason you know.
still my xp with programming is considered novice at best seeing as I have less than 6ish years of experience.
But the first thing drilled by everyone I have learned or worked with was unless you make K.I.S.S. a constant you will end up working 40 times longer than needed since complex code causes complex bugs.

Offline kyuubi43

« Reply #4469 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
As a reply to the cap comment...I am sure you guys have a max level for your skills and stats...... (that is the cap I was talking about).......the master function with an if else statement could solve the item issue you have

If the Stat or Skill is such and such Level the item will fail
Else continue with item operation