Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821370 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5010 on: June 22, 2015, 07:11:09 AM »
@Dark, I don't like Any/All in the names.

@Gismo, it's an option.

==
My approach (tactics-wise) would be:

1) Any in front row.
2) All without true pierce.
3) Any without true pierce.
4) All without true pierce (but obviously stronger than 2).

Anything with true-peirce should be very limited for characters, maybe more accessible to mobs/mob-bosses.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5011 on: June 22, 2015, 08:30:31 AM »
My approach (tactics-wise) would be:
You forgot about closest row, ie all without any kind of pierce. It will make all 4 basic spells truly unique and yet useful.

Maybe Row/all are too powerful..
Mass spells will be weaker to avoid it. Or rare and expensive.

Just for example, the names in order of increasing strength element. For the first four spells.
The problem is that we have many spells already, like 7-9 per element. If we sort spells by power form the weakest to the most powerful, stuff like meteors will be the last one, not the fourth one.
The first 4 spells are usually not very impressive even in terms of appearance. There are no meteors or blizzards there.

To clarify why I'm against fira stuff: it's a shameless rip-off, and an easily noticeable one. Even worse, while we obviosly have no choice but to use sounds and pictures made by someone else, spells names are clearly an overkill in this regard. It's almost like to call the game Final Fantasy: Pytfall Chronicles.

Offline lamoli

« Reply #5012 on: June 22, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
Anyway if someone wants to make the Pytfall mod Final Fantasy: Pytfall Chronicles.. using the fira sutff why not.. but programation wise it should use the spell ID and not name so anyone could rename it like they want later on..

Using ID instead of name would help translate the game a lot if its ever needed..
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:18:56 PM by lamoli »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5013 on: June 22, 2015, 12:26:35 PM »
To clarify why I'm against fira stuff: it's a shameless rip-off, and an easily noticeable one. Even worse, while we obviosly have no choice but to use sounds and pictures made by someone else, spells names are clearly an overkill in this regard. It's almost like to call the game Final Fantasy: Pytfall Chronicles.

LoL

It's almost comical when someone draws a line like this :D How is this different from using original character names instead of coming up with unique, I mean we cannot draw or render pics for enough characters but we can come up with unique names for them or calling a sword Excalibur instead of "Metabrera Matambra"? In the same manner you can call every second game out there for ripping widely known names and concept to be used for their benefits as long as those are not trademarked...

and FF: Pytfall Chronicles? Really? Just because of spell-names? I mean it's not an RPG, it's not based around one of their world concepts, it's not about a small group of characters going through a story and we're not using their common name patters for anyone particular in the game... + all the crap they ripped off from rl history, mythology and languages (even Fira/Firaja names are basically Eng names + Jap suffixes).

In any case, I think that you're way off-base here with your argument... I can understand you simply not liking the names but "us not being original" statement weird me out a little bit all other game elements considered.

You forgot about closest row, ie all without any kind of pierce. It will make all 4 basic spells truly unique and yet useful.

Yeah... maybe use it for 1)? I'd like second spell to have all effect, maybe not any kind of powerful but still all.
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #5014 on: June 22, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »
Atm im watching anime that contains the style of furniture/clothing/BG we would need in the game.. so far iv seen:

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Seiken no Blacksmith
Sword Art Online
Tales of the Abyss
Scrapped Princess
Zero no Tsukaima
Druaga no Tou: The Aegis of Uruk

If you know another that contain those things.. let me know.

As renders takes time i got time to watch those and maybe get some ideas from them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:30:42 PM by lamoli »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5015 on: June 22, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
In any case, I think that you're way off-base here with your argument... I can understand you simply not liking the names but "us not being original" statement weird me out a little bit all other game elements considered.
Ah, but we use multiple sources for everything we have. Characters, items, mobs, dialogues, animations. Even our elements system is based on Golden Sun, Naruto and Neverwinter Nights. Not to mention traits and stats/skills from multiple h-games.
You could say we take the best everywhere and combine it.

So using one single source for something, like spells names, is very different from other parts.

Let's just use spells id like lamoli proposed. I'll be happy as long fira is not in mine game.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5016 on: June 22, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
Oki, I'll look into it. Still doesn't solve an issue with how we gonna name them by default.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5017 on: June 22, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »
Nah, we can make a separate file with spells names tied to ids. And have two versions, with fira stuff and with unique names.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5018 on: June 22, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
Nah, we can make a separate file with spells names tied to ids. And have two versions, with fira stuff and with unique names.

Oki, than just add new field to whereever appropriate: alt_name="Fira" and etc. I'll make it work.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5019 on: June 22, 2015, 02:26:31 PM »
If you know another that contain those things.. let me know.

As renders takes time i got time to watch those and maybe get some ideas from them.
Hm... The last ones I watched are No Game No Life and Persona The Movie (really hard to find second Persona part, even at torrents). I wanted to make Zero no Tsukaima pack recently, but surprisingly characters don't have enough pictures. It could be our first rendered unique pack.

And I can't believe they still draw fillers for Naruto, barely moving the main story... I want to see how they will animate the gate of death, to know what we might need for BE  :)

Offline BlackWolf Inc.

« Reply #5020 on: June 22, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
I think I mentioned this before but an alternative with basic spell names is to have a prefix rather than suffix like Fire Emblem has
so: 'Fire' -> El'fire' -> Arc'fire' -> Whatever (FE's basic lv4 spells are called Bolagone(Fire) Thoron(Thunder) and Rexcalibur(Wind))
Just in case you guys forgot.
I think you expressed interest in it so I thought I'd add more detail

Bowman
Don't look at me like that! I found 'em that way....

Now no-one else has to die...
unless I think of another reason.

If found, please return to Miss Y. Rhul.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5021 on: June 23, 2015, 01:45:29 AM »
^Xela doesn't like them either, unfortunately.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5022 on: June 23, 2015, 02:02:10 AM »
If we are to use a structure from a different game, lets use ff series.

We don't have that many elements, we can afford to have ceveral names for the first 4 or 5 spells.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5023 on: June 23, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »
FF doesn't have such names for light and darkness.

Offline Gismo

« Reply #5024 on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:38 AM »
I tried to portray my ideas about the magic system. Use everything you deem interesting.

7 Basic Elements - Fire > Water > Wind > Earth >> Holy > Dark >> Neutral
5 Sub Elements (2 mix) - Steam (Fire + Water) >> Ice (Water + Wind) >> Dust (Wind + Earth) >> Lava (Earth + Fire) >> Lightning (Fire + Wind)

There are spells have ranks.
                  - Ranks -
E > D > C > B > B+ > A > A+ > S
If you use spells, it gets the experience. Increase in rank gives a very small bonuses, decreased mp, increase power.
To use the more powerful spells, it is necessary to increase the ranks of the weaker spells.

Spells are distributed in 5 circles:
- 5th round of initiation - Just basic spells. The spell only use his element.
- 4th round of initiation - Moderate spells. The spell only use his element. To use them, you need C grades previous spells circle.
- 3rd round of initiation - Your first basic spells that use two elements. To use them, you need B+ grades previous spells circle.
- 2nd round of initiation - Master spells. The spell only use his element. The most powerful spells in their categories of elements. To use them, you need A grades at all spells circles.
- 1st round of initiation - Legendary spells that use three elements. Unique spells for real virtuosos. To use them need certain consumables and A+ grades at all spells circles.

Here is for example the fifth starting circle, did bias on the game with buffs and debuffs -