Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821286 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5115 on: July 15, 2015, 03:24:22 AM »
Yeap, you're right. We can add another func for checks but I don't expect these effects check to be very common?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5116 on: July 15, 2015, 03:30:59 AM »
I expect many interactions to be unavailable or different during major effects like drunk or food poisoning. It doesn't matter, I'll just use the full string.

GMs have greeting string based on traits and disposition. But all interactions start with "...", it should be changed. There should be greetings label in the very beginning of interaction, before you select any options.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5117 on: July 15, 2015, 06:35:07 AM »
I'm not sure how to change gui myself...

- greetings label in the beginning of the interaction, just like our GMs have. It should be a new label, since greetings will be a bit different from GMs.
- current "about her" is about her job, actually. I suppose we need to rename it and add actual "about her" topic, where you can check mood, disposition and effects.
- all "go out" options are broken. I actually want to add more or less decent romance system after the next release, but we should remove those options from gui now. The only thing you can get there is an error  :)
- I want to add friend and lover labels now. We have very good lines for those propositions, and I could use such labels for many lines too.
I wonder what is the best way to do it. New effects maybe? Traits are too obvious for such things. Or we can set some kind of simple labels on characters? Since these effects will do nothing with stats, unlike existing effects.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:39:30 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5118 on: July 15, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »
Which line is more correct?

$ pytfall.gm.img_generate('profile', 'happy')
or
$ pytfall.gm.img_generate("profile", "happy")

For some reason in GMs there is different syntax in different places.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5119 on: July 15, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
I'm not sure how to change gui myself...

- greetings label in the beginning of the interaction, just like our GMs have. It should be a new label, since greetings will be a bit different from GMs.
- current "about her" is about her job, actually. I suppose we need to rename it and add actual "about her" topic, where you can check mood, disposition and effects.
- all "go out" options are broken. I actually want to add more or less decent romance system after the next release, but we should remove those options from gui now. The only thing you can get there is an error  :)
- I want to add friend and lover labels now. We have very good lines for those propositions, and I could use such labels for many lines too.
I wonder what is the best way to do it. New effects maybe? Traits are too obvious for such things. Or we can set some kind of simple labels on characters? Since these effects will do nothing with stats, unlike existing effects.

I haven't looked at GM code for a long while, Thewlis was the last to mess with it. I will start coding soon, do you want me to take care of this or advance the jobs (is there a sense of urgency)?

Which line is more correct?

$ pytfall.gm.img_generate('profile', 'happy')
or
$ pytfall.gm.img_generate("profile", "happy")

For some reason in GMs there is different syntax in different places.

They are exactly the same, I don't believe there is a correct choice here. I plainly use "" everywhere because it became a habit, unless there is something that needs to be evaluated later like: "ct('Trait')", you cannot put "Trait" in there due to invalid syntax.

*Just a thought, if you have some free time, consider taking Python course at CodingAcademy. I don't think that was around when I started but a lot of people been saying good stuff about it. Python is really easy to learn and it'll be of use to you.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5120 on: July 15, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
I will start coding soon, do you want me to take care of this or advance the jobs (is there a sense of urgency)?
I'm afraid we'll forget about GMs if we postpone it for later. And I might forget ideas for GMs that I have now. I actually forgot about GMs once already, after I added lines from AA2 a couple months ago. I wanted to add more options, but was distracted by other modules  :)
I already added many new lines and checks today, but I need what I described to sort them out as intended.

I think I'll go with effects for friends stuff (I figured how to create them). Because we already have functions to work with them everywhere, unlike flags.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5121 on: July 15, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »

I'll take a look at how it is now, doesn't sound too difficult.

I though system was set up is such way that you could do it yourself, at least that was the plan. I'll take a look as well.

Same as above, I'll take a look.

Ok, you can just add the labels and we'll add the logic later.

I think best (future proof) way is to add instances of character to sets like chr.friends, chr.enemies, chr.lovers and etc.  Then you can do checks like:
Code: [Select]
if char["Hinata"] in char["Sakura"].friends:
    # Do something.

in GM it will look like:

if hero in chr.friends:
    # Do something.

Without actually knowing what the relationship system will be like in the future, it's not easy to guess if we actually need a separate class for this. If relationship logic gets too intense, I'll have to move logic to a class. Right now, with a system as simple as you suggest, it is not really required.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5122 on: July 15, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
I'm afraid we'll forget about GMs if we postpone it for later. And I might forget ideas for GMs that I have now. I actually forgot about GMs once already, after I added lines from AA2 a couple months ago. I wanted to add more options, but was distracted by other modules  :)
I already added many new lines and checks today, but I need what I described to sort them out as intended.

I think I'll go with effects for friends stuff (I figured how to create them). Because we already have functions to work with them everywhere, unlike flags.

Effects is a bad bet for this, especially if we decide to extend this system between other characters at some point in the future.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5123 on: July 15, 2015, 11:52:27 AM »
I though system was set up is such way that you could do it yourself, at least that was the plan. I'll take a look as well.
I don't know how to make buttons and add labels to them that lead to my lines. I expect it to be very different form Delphi  :D
I tried it today actually, but there were no comments about it at all, so I gave up and continued to add lines. You could just comment stuff to explain how to add options in gui, I suppose.

I think best (future proof) way is to add instances of character to sets like chr.friends, chr.enemies, chr.lovers and etc.  Then you can do checks like:

if char["Hinata"] in char["Sakura"].friends:
    # Do something.

in GM it will look like:
Ohhkey, how the code that adds MC to character's friend list will look like?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5124 on: July 15, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
I don't know how to make buttons and add labels to them that lead to my lines. I expect it to be very different form Delphi  :D

I think Thewlis recoded the GM in such way that menus are added automatically, maybe his explanation is on the forum somewhere if it is not in code. Otherwise I'll just have to follow the logical chain and see for myself.

Ohhkey, how the code that adds MC to character's friend list will look like?

I think you'd want to add both characters sets of each-other.

chr.friends.add(hero)
hero.friends.add(chr)

We can easily move that to a function btw. You just have to type in set_friends() or set_lovers(), since both variables are globals, you don't even need to provide the to the function.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5125 on: July 15, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »

I figure you did not push? I just waited 10 mins for SF to tell me that there are no changes :) I guess their servers are slow today or my isp is having issues.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5126 on: July 15, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »
Yup, I didn't. So far I expanded existing interations (general, about her, etc) by adding dozens new lines and fixing some old logic made by Cherry year ago. At the halfway I figured that major part of new lines should actually be a part of greetings lines to look more natural, and so I went to the forum and wrote about it  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5127 on: July 15, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
Yup, I didn't. So far I expanded existing interations (general, about her, etc) by adding dozens new lines and fixing some old logic made by Cherry year ago. At the halfway I figured that major part of new lines should actually be a part of greetings lines to look more natural, and so I went to the forum and wrote about it  :)

I am sorry, I don't get what you're asking me to do :(

There is already extensive GM - greetings.rpy file. Can you give me an example?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5128 on: July 15, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
Ah, my bad. I never noticed those short lines for interactions in the beginning, so I figured they were hardcoded  :D
In this case we only need to deal with adding new buttons (and renaming old ones).

Also don't forget about
- Since we use permanent traits as occupations, that interaction #8 in GM - chat.rpy where you ask a girl to change occupation cannot be used anymore in its current condition. If you want to rewrite it somehow to work with non permanent classes traits, go ahead. Otherwise I'll delete it (probably the best option, it's too simple to change even non permanent class via one dialogue).

- GM - shopping.rpy is a tough one. It handles shopping together with girl based on her occupation again, and I don't understand some parts there. I'm not sure also that we need it in its current super complex condition. We should allow autobuying system to select an item that the girl wants, and then buy it for her or not.
This is beyond my abilities anyway.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5129 on: July 15, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
Ok, I'll figure it all out either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Like what we're doing?