devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821540 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5145 on: July 18, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »
I may be wrong, but isn't it that sh#t that gave us ueof errors all the time?

Not exactly. GitHub servers seem to be a LOT faster than SF servers (which we used with git also). We also used official git software... I failed to pull the DW repo using that, then I tried the native GitHub software... again a failure. Both would have worked fine if I went deeper in but I generally dislike everything that developers fail to make easy/intuitive to use while we know that making it so is perfectly possible.

So I asked wtf Saryj Ohotnik was using because while I dislike, he plainly hates all the advanced crap and he told me that they were using something called Git Extensions. Turned out to be really decent and I had no issue setting it up and pulling the repo in a matter of minutes. I added code, downloaded/uploaded for that game and never ran into any issues (except for minor bs that did not effect anything).

===
I am not saying that we should switch, I like mercurial better than git but server speed + slightly slower (in loading time) git extensions (compared to out HG) is definitely an option. It should not be nearly as crappy as the last time and they have a really decent bug/issue tracking system too. Ren'Py is developed on github as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5146 on: July 18, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »
Nyaatrap made it, we are both very active on lemma. This game has been around for a while now.
It has something in common with that new Alkion BE. I mean, skills have more stats than just damage and cost, it makes BE more complex and interesting.
Also the idea of battle APs which you need to restore sometimes in the battle to use any other actions might be decent if we'll manage to make it less intrusive.

I'm going to comment out tht section of GMs where you ask about hangouts. I believe it actually should tell you real places where you can find the character (and they are based on traits, or at least will be), and not just some random stuff.
Other than that, I continue to add new options and add more checks to old ones.

Offline MuteDay

• Loving life and PinkPetal Family
« Reply #5147 on: July 18, 2015, 09:03:14 PM »
github rarely causes problems ifused right,  i used it for a while
Please Enjoy all the hard work i Do to help make the game and forums a better place :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5148 on: July 18, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
ifused right

I f*cking hate those words :( Everything works great "ifused right". The trouble is that if figuring out wtf "ifused right" means takes more than a couple of hours, it's a problem in itself.

One would assume that using native github soft would be the best bet but not being able to figure it out "out of the box" while I know Windows (with most of console commands), Linux, 5 programming languages superficially and one down to it's core, not mentioning dozens of software implementations of all kinds that I can use without manuals, but not git... says worlds about git in itself.

We never had a glitch with Mercurial once, we had multiple with Git. Git doesn't win because it's a good and intuitive software, it plainly wins because it offers best servers and best selection of 3rd party soft for free. If that's what you meant by "used right", you're right!... but if we compare Mercurial to Git out of the box, Git in my book looses hands down. Yet reality rakes hold, if SF is not fixed by Monday, I'll move repo to GitHub and we'll hang around there :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline MuteDay

• Loving life and PinkPetal Family
« Reply #5149 on: July 19, 2015, 12:25:01 AM »
rofl

I never used the softwhere that came with git, i used other programs to push, if i remember corectly thier is a tortiose version for git
Please Enjoy all the hard work i Do to help make the game and forums a better place :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5150 on: July 19, 2015, 02:26:18 AM »
rofl

I never used the softwhere that came with git, i used other programs to push, if i remember corectly thier is a tortiose version for git

LoL

Yeah, and it is worse than any other tortoise version out there.

Still down:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3dm7rk/sourceforge_have_24_hours_down_and_nobody_cares/

People are really taking a dump at it :(
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5151 on: July 19, 2015, 04:26:07 AM »
Yeah, I love these jokes  :D
The trainee probably used one of their installer to update their servers.
Trainee: "Next, next, next, Yes I agree..."
Trainee: "...Oh. Shit."
It's a reference to malwares that sourceforge seems to add into installers. Many people mention it btw.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5152 on: July 19, 2015, 04:32:38 AM »
About rts function, could it be possible (not now of course, but when we'll get a working repo) to make it return not only randomly selected line, but also trait/occupation that it decided to choose? This way different lines will have different outcome in terms of changing stats and disposition.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5153 on: July 19, 2015, 04:39:09 AM »
About rts function, could it be possible (not now of course, but when we'll get a working repo) to make it return not only randomly selected line, but also trait/occupation that it decided to choose? This way different lines will have different outcome in terms of changing stats and disposition.

Sure, we can return a list of a dict...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5154 on: July 19, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »
Does MC have all skills that girls could have? I mean, even if it's a male MC who cannot strip, he still could know the theory and teach girls. I ask because it's possible to compare skills in GMs and maybe rise a bit the less one if the difference is big enough.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5155 on: July 19, 2015, 08:30:57 AM »
Does MC have all skills that girls could have? I mean, even if it's a male MC who cannot strip, he still could know the theory and teach girls. I ask because it's possible to compare skills in GMs and maybe rise a bit the less one if the difference is big enough.

Yes, mc has all the skills.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5156 on: July 19, 2015, 08:49:42 AM »
Can we already run BE inside of a dialogue (MC vs the girl) and return victory or defeat?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5157 on: July 19, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
Can we already run BE inside of a dialogue (MC vs the girl) and return victory or defeat?

It's not yet easy to setup but technically, yes.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5158 on: July 20, 2015, 04:52:31 AM »
I don't think it's possible to continue to use sourceforge. I read that a month ago such well known projects as notepad+ and gimp left it.
Even if they will restore servers after a week or so, such a huge downtime will not be tolerated by many coders who will move their projects to other places. As a result, without income SF will be closed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:08:24 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5159 on: July 20, 2015, 07:00:35 AM »
Alternatives are:

1) https://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MercurialHosting
2) Plugin for Mercurial that converts to Git + GitHub servers.
3) GitHub (Biggest and best right now).
4) BitBucket (5 People max on the team for free).
5) SVN? :)
6) wait for SF to be back up (prolly midweek) and see what will happen, they still have loads and loads of code...
7) Other....?
Like what we're doing?