Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821639 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5505 on: August 17, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
About new locations... do we need a library? Maybe Academy or something like that will be a better fit?

Should we move jail outside the city? Or is it better where it is?

Do we have backgrounds? For the Village/Graveyard/Lib or Academy? I know I've seen them somewhere...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5506 on: August 17, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
Well, the library could be a part of academy, like beach cafe is a part of beach. We have so many great bgs for library that it would be a waste to not use them somewhere.

I don't see any reasons to move jail, why should we?

Bgs for Village and Graveyard are already there, it's cemetery and hidden_village pictures in locations bgs folder. Most library pics are in my db, images/backgrounds/interior/public.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5507 on: August 17, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
Well, the library could be a part of academy, like beach cafe is a part of beach. We have so many great bgs for library that it would be a waste to not use them somewhere.

Ok... I think general lore should be part of the tavern, no library. It's also weird to add locations just because we have bgs for them :)

I don't see any reasons to move jail, why should we?

For some reason... I though it was really, really off standing in the middle of the city, so I've asked Gismo to move it. He though it fit in the city well, just like you. We'll just leave it be.

Bgs for Village and Graveyard are already there, it's cemetery and hidden_village pictures in locations bgs folder. Most library pics are in my db, images/backgrounds/interior/public.

Oki

PS: How is the Vortex effect?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5508 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
We have smart characters and characters with nerd trait. Strange is to meet them in a tavern or something instead of a library or an academy. And while in a library we at least can drop some books with lore to make the location useful, I'm not sure what are you going to do in an academy.

Vortex is great, yeah.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5509 on: August 17, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Funny, it's the first time I see how changes in json work immediatly after I save them. Matrix can see new coordinates without restarting the game.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:45:49 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Gismo

« Reply #5510 on: August 17, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
We have a school with all sorts of courses.
Can just rename it in the Academy. "School" ~=~ "Academy" but large libraries and all sorts of scientific topics are more suited to "Academy".

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5511 on: August 17, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
Funny, it's the first time I see how changes in json work immediatly after I save them. Matrix can see new coordinates without restarting the game.

I though that made sense... json is loaded every time screen function is executed or even screen is refreshed, don't remember which.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5512 on: August 17, 2015, 02:35:56 PM »
Hm. Ideally we need a small button somewhere to stop using matrix instead of asking after every click if you want to continue. Can it be done via the same rpy where I write the logic for the scene?
Though I suppose I can show another image somewhere and use its coordinates to quit tha matrix. But I wonder how difficult is to make an actual button.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:42:37 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5513 on: August 17, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
Hm. Ideally we need a small button somewhere to stop using matrix instead of asking after every click if you want to continue. Can it be done via the same rpy where I write the logic for the scene?
Though I suppose I can show another image somewhere and use its coordinates to quit tha matrix. But I wonder how difficult is to make an actual button.

Start an issue or I'll just add it to the screen on condition when I get the chance. I'll also remove the function and make it a proper screen, it looks weird the way it is now.

It's done, we'll make the button pretty later. It's just one line of a code with a style and you can make it look like any button in the game.

Code: [Select]
    scene bg story dark_room with dissolve
    call screen poly_matrix("library/events/StoryI/coordinates.json", show_exit_button=(1.0, 1.0))
    "Result: [_return]"

This is proper Ren'Py way, but if you have a lot of code you do not want to change:

scene bg story dark_room with dissolve
    $ result = renpy.show_screen(poly_matrix, "library/events/StoryI/coordinates.json", show_exit_button=(1.0, 1.0)))
    "Result: [result]"

will work just like before.

If a button is clicked False will be returned instead of a string so:

if not _return: # or result in the old code
    # Do something

if _return:
    menu:
        bla bla bla
# If False was returned label will simply continue...

You can wrap this sh!t in a nice while loop as well...

PS: Do not provide the button argument at all if you do not want to see the button.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:25:42 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5514 on: August 18, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
Alright, with matrix and vortex the konan quest looks much better. Finally we are at the point of story when MC gets access to the village, so removing virginity quest kicks in  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5515 on: August 18, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
Alright, with matrix and vortex the konan quest looks much better. Finally we are at the point of story when MC gets access to the village, so removing virginity quest kicks in  :)

LoL, the searching game is fun :P

I'll go over all special effects before release and improve whatever I can.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5516 on: August 18, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
Yeap, it's simple to make yet fun to play. I expect to use it alot in the future.

I'm not sure about mind game with Ino though. I made a cool special effect when you fight her mind, but the logic of the fight is pretty meh (rock-paper-scissors).

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5517 on: August 18, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »
Did you see Gismo's concept for SE? He uses stars there to show the difficulty of the area.
I think it might be a good way to show the level of skill too without showing its value in gui.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5518 on: August 18, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »
Did you see Gismo's concept for SE? He uses stars there to show the difficulty of the area.
I think it might be a good way to show the level of skill too without showing its value in gui.

Relative to what? Skills are limitless... maybe we should take the highest skill currently in the game and measure everything else to it?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5519 on: August 18, 2015, 04:10:10 PM »
If it won't be too difficult to code, then we could try. Otherwise it might be just some big enough value that can pass almost any check, 2-5 thousands.