Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821196 times)

Offline deadkingblue

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5640 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
No i know where the latest alpha is, but i just wanted to make sure that this really cool game is still under dev and not abandoned :P  i guess i could have read the recent posts here but i kinda got lazy.

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5641 on: August 28, 2015, 02:42:06 PM »
No i know where the latest alpha is, but i just wanted to make sure that this really cool game is still under dev and not abandoned :P  i guess i could have read the recent posts here but i kinda got lazy.

Yeah, if you just read this page that we're posting on it's pretty obvious that it is still under development, everyday new things are being implemented/altered. I do not approve of lazy Q.Qers, just read a few posts and everything is solved. XD
"You think I CARE!?"
"Yeah, you're getting really angry about it."

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5642 on: August 28, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »
Alright, I'm tired of fighting with errors I've never even seen before  :D

I made village location and added matrix there. The idea is to run either a scene or GM with a certain character once you select a specific building.
Scenes are fine, but I cannot make GMs work. The idea is to replace village bg with some another bg and then run GMs there with specific character using her vnsprite. And after GMs are finished, return to the village screen.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #5643 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
How can I set some flag to all characters in the game at once?

Why... you need to iterate over the chars container but I would like to avoid setting flags to all chars, lack of such a flag is usually the same as a flag.

Question: Should I keep the white background or make it a PNG with alpha so that it is the same color as the background on which it is placed?

Shouldn't they look like other trait icons? We should have some standard, I don't really know where to place this in GUI.

Xela, I don't understand some stuff about pytfall.world_actions.add that you used to add actions at several locations screens.

For example, pytfall.world_actions.add("angelica", "Find Angelica", Jump("angelica_menu"), condition=Iff(global_flag_complex("met_angelica"))). I figured that "Find Angelica" is the name of the button, Jump("angelica_menu") is where we jump when we press it,  condition is obvious. What is "angelica" part then?

It's an index, you can write practically anything there. Since those menus are simple, one level menus, tuples are not required. Otherwise you can build whole menus like Interactions that have many levels and indexes.

Alright, I'm tired of fighting with errors I've never even seen before  :D

I made village location and added matrix there. The idea is to run either a scene or GM with a certain character once you select a specific building.
Scenes are fine, but I cannot make GMs work. The idea is to replace village bg with some another bg and then run GMs there with specific character using her vnsprite. And after GMs are finished, return to the village screen.

May be tricky, I know once I see the code...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5644 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »
Shouldn't they look like other trait icons? We should have some standard, I don't really know where to place this in GUI.

Yep, but the thing is, they are the first of the trait icons, so they will likely determine what the remainder will look like.. and even that will likely change after more are made and better options are discovered for the "feel" we're looking for. I assume they'll go next to the listed traits on the girl's pages? But idk, because that is rather small.

Example: Big Breasts (small square image of woman)
               Adventurer (small square image of sword or treasure)
               Not Human (small square image of devil tail or halo)
               Construct   (small square image of robot-ish thing, or statue or something)

like so... but I don't even know if you will be able to discern what the images are at the size they would have to be to fit inside the labels with the words.
                                                               _
They would appear about the size of this > l_l literally, but a little shorter, think square rather than rectangle. and that will be about its literal size. If it goes where I think it's going, if it is at that location (and that size). I'm not actually sure they are worth having, as they will likely not be fully discernible from one another if given similar images such as the breast size one's that have already been developed. Thoughts?
"You think I CARE!?"

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5645 on: August 29, 2015, 06:29:13 AM »

Yep, but the thing is, they are the first of the trait icons

They aren't really as Personality, Race and Elements are also traits and have icons.

Example: Big Breasts (small square image of woman)
               Adventurer (small square image of sword or treasure)
               Not Human (small square image of devil tail or halo)
               Construct   (small square image of robot-ish thing, or statue or something)

like so... but I don't even know if you will be able to discern what the images are at the size they would have to be to fit inside the labels with the words.
                                                               _
They would appear about the size of this > l_l literally, but a little shorter, think square rather than rectangle. and that will be about its literal size. If it goes where I think it's going, if it is at that location (and that size). I'm not actually sure they are worth having, as they will likely not be fully discernible from one another if given similar images such as the breast size one's that have already been developed. Thoughts?

It's too much work without a large benefit so I don't think that they are worth having. In some distant future, we may add a development tree for the traits like in SimBro 1x/JasBro where a Character would get points on leveling up and unlock new traits for better and cooler bonuses. When we do that, such a tree would be worth drawing. Current traits are perfectly fine as buttons, maybe we can add larger variety of buttons by splitting them into combat, normal, sexual traits and etc.?

It does make sense to make icons for Body and Breast traits for a simple reason of one of those traits being a requirement for any character. Maybe even male icons as well for the future but not for every single trait in the game!
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5646 on: August 29, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »
Why... you need to iterate over the chars container but I would like to avoid setting flags to all chars, lack of such a flag is usually the same as a flag.
Well, not really all chars, more like all chars with the same origin. For example, to forbid certain actions with characters from one specific pack until you complete their personal quests. I can make it manually one by one, but it's messy.

I personally want to see small traits icons next to their names in gui.

They aren't really as Personality, Race and Elements are also traits and have icons.
Yup, these are special cases. For other traits we could use simplier and smaller icons.

It does make sense to make icons for Body and Breast traits for a simple reason of one of those traits being a requirement for any character. Maybe even male icons as well for the future but not for every single trait in the game!
I can say that we unlikely will see many new major traits. You should know by now how it's difficult to maintain too many traits.
There will be new traits, but most of them will be minor, and won't need icons.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5647 on: August 29, 2015, 06:57:50 AM »
Well, not really all chars, more like all chars with the same origin. For example, to forbid certain actions with characters from one specific pack until you complete their personal quests. I can make it manually one by one, but it's messy.

That is perfectly reasonable:

for c in chars:
    if c.origin = "From Outer Space":
        c.set_flag("Doesnt_like_to_mingle_with_mere_earthlings")

I personally want to see small traits icons next to their names in gui.
Yup, these are special cases. For other traits we could use simplier and smaller icons.

Even so, it's not any sort of a priority right now and those icons would still have to be a lot smaller... also new traits will require them as well and if all artists will be busy/disappear, we'd be screwed (it'd take me the same time to draw the icons Pseudo did as to write and debug a few hundred lines of code). Special cases can be covered... rest can wait until better days unless it's something Pseudo actually interested in doing and those icons need to be small to fit on button, shouldn't they? Like Gismos locations in the city map.

I can say that we unlikely will see many new major traits. You should know by now how it's difficult to maintain too many traits.
There will be new traits, but most of them will be minor, and won't need icons.

Depends... we'll have a lot of new occupation traits after the next release (maybe even before) and a bunch of support traits will be required as well. Traits are not difficult to maintain in the code as long as they can be well sorted. If you need help maintaining JSONs, we can try recruiting some people or you can as CW who more often than not can take out tasks quickly if they are clearly explained.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5648 on: August 29, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »
Even so, it's not any sort of a priority right now and those icons would still have to be a lot smaller... also new traits will require them as well and if all artists will be busy/disappear, we'd be screwed
Why should we bother with size if we can resize pics ingame? Also, they are quite simple right now, you basically take a picture you like and replace one part with one color and other part with another color. This way even without artists it's totally possible to quickly make them.
As for priority, it's not like you or me doing it. If Pseudo wants to make icons, why should we forbid him to?  :)

Depends... we'll have a lot of new occupation traits after the next release (maybe even before) and a bunch of support traits will be required as well. Traits are not difficult to maintain in the code as long as they can be well sorted. If you need help maintaining JSONs, we can try recruiting some people or you can as CW who more often than not can take out tasks quickly if they are clearly explained.
I never even considered to make icons for classes traits. I mean traits from body and modificatiors traits jsons mostly.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5649 on: August 29, 2015, 07:23:02 AM »
About running GMs when I need it... It's another side of that system from this issue, when you can go to character house and talk to her anytime.
However, that system should be used for chars that don't have a personal story and location.

I want to make a new story (and a small location if needed) with every new release based on some pack or packs. Many chars with personal quests will have a place where you can find them and talk to them. It means that, unless they are slaves or dead, you can go there and run either GMs or interactions screen with custom background and probably vnsprite.

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5650 on: August 29, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
I don't mind working on traits in the slightest, but I prefer to work on things of priority. If traits are not necessarily important right now then I can place them on the back burner.

Suggestion: Hey Dark, how about when you get some spare time (who am I kidding) you implement the first few trait images that are in the body folder and we'll see how it looks. If we do it some time soon that should give me enough time to think it over and determine if there is a better way to display them in the gui assuming we keep them, or decide if it really isn't worth putting them in. But you seem to know exactly where you want them and how to resize them as appropriate so I will defer to you in this matter.

Is there anything (graphically) of "notable" priority, something that "needs" to be done for the next release? That's what I'd like to work on, what we need.
If there isn't anything like that I will construct a roadmap for myself from what has already been mentioned (items, traits, etc.) and go about completing it.
"You think I CARE!?"

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5651 on: August 29, 2015, 09:34:23 AM »
Is there anything (graphically) of "notable" priority, something that "needs" to be done for the next release? That's what I'd like to work on, what we need.
If there isn't anything like that I will construct a roadmap for myself from what has already been mentioned (items, traits, etc.) and go about completing it.

Yes! :)

I would conciser the following to be a priority (in no particular order):

1) Bestiary screen (I left a detailed explanation earlier).

2) Slide out Win/Loose graphics for the Arena:

- Two 1280x360 pretty frames.
- "Slots" frames for individual fighters that would size well, currently we're using 3 but we may decide to allow larger parties in the future.

3) Traits icons but only for one off, must have traits, those are:

- Elements
- Body (gender dependent)
- Breasts (gender dependent)
- Personality

and:

- Occupations:

These need to be buttons, Text with the name of the trait will be provided by the game! So just the general shape (for background) and the picture, preferable separately from one another.

*One for Combat oriented occupations (reddish background)
*One for Service oriented occupations (blueish background)
*One for Management oriented occupations (whitish or blackish background)
*One for Sexual oriented occupations (pinkish background)
**Moar in the future...

===
There is more... right now these are a priority because it would be really, really weird to release the game with placeholder while all other graphics are custom made. Gismo is usually taking these out but he wants to generalize the items eq/transfer next and take a crack at the world map (the latter is a huge project).
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5652 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »
About running GMs when I need it... It's another side of that system from this issue, when you can go to character house and talk to her anytime.
However, that system should be used for chars that don't have a personal story and location.

I want to make a new story (and a small location if needed) with every new release based on some pack or packs. Many chars with personal quests will have a place where you can find them and talk to them. It means that, unless they are slaves or dead, you can go there and run either GMs or interactions screen with custom background and probably vnsprite.

Do you need me to take this out tonight? My plan was to put 3 or 4 hours into jobs/buildings again. You can just prepare the content and we'll make it work later. If you need this, I'll take this issue out tonight instead.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5653 on: August 29, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »
You usually can ignore Xela when he says that we don't need this or that as long as you have a result in terms of new content. He said the same thing when I was making icons for other traits or additional spells for BE. Guess what, now they are in game and look pretty good  :)

Graphically you can also do:
- icons for gifts, with names and descriptions. Without any logic like traits and cblock, since we discussed before possible change of gifts logics.
- Items in general. It's very simple, and we always can use more.
- New packs. Personally, I make packs from time to time not because we need them a lot, but because I enjoy it, and they always will be useful no matter what.
- Spells for BE. It's not hard as well, and will be useful no matter what even if we change how they work.
Gifts are priority, other stuff is not.

Do you need me to take this out tonight? My plan was to put 3 or 4 hours into jobs/buildings again. You can just prepare the content and we'll make it work later. If you need this, I'll take this issue out tonight instead.
I'm now not so sure that we need that system allowing to find a girl anywhere. It sounds too simple, and we also could use matrix or something else to do it... Don't do anything about it for now, I'll think about it more.

I can say for sure though that I have to use GMs and interactions freely, ie run them anywhere, with any character and bg, and usually using vnsprite.
Ideally the game should check by itself if the character is hired ot not, and run interactions instead of GMs for hired ones. But if it will require a lot of time, it could wait of course until you finish with jobs.

Also I need to check somehow if the character is dead or not. Should I just check for health <=0?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:04:04 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5654 on: August 29, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »
You usually can ignore Xela when he says that we don't need this or that as long as you have a result in terms of new content. He said the same thing when I was making icons for other traits or additional spells for BE. Guess what, now they are in game and look pretty good  :)

Graphically you can also do:
- icons for gifts, with names and descriptions. Without any logic like traits and cblock, since we discussed before possible change of gifts logics.
- Items in general. It's very simple, and we always can use more.
- New packs. Personally, I make packs from time to time not because we need them a lot, but because I enjoy it, and they always will be useful no matter what.
- Spells for BE. It's not hard as well, and will be useful no matter what even if we change how they work.
Gifts are priority, other stuff is not.
I'm now not so sure that we need that system allowing to find a girl anywhere. It sounds too simple, and we also could use matrix or something else to do it... Don't do anything about it for now, I'll think about it more.

But we have gifts already, we could add a couple more but that does not require a graphics tech/designer... You've may have added spells but they are still outside of the general content, we could have released with 4 spells per element and maybe some unique spells/attacks for specific chars and it would be just as fun.

You're way off-base with this post... if someone just wants to make a pack/items sets/spells/etc. specifically and we're telling him/her to do something else out of nowhere, that would be a bit f*cked up. Pseudo asked what the priority was for graphics... you or I can fix gifts, try making an interface like Gismo did...

I can say for sure though that I have to use GMs and interactions freely, ie run them anywhere, with any character and bg, and usually using vnsprite.
Ideally the game should check by itself if the character is hired ot not, and run interactions instead of GMs for hired ones. But if it will require a lot of time, it could wait of course until you finish with jobs.

I'll take a look tonight then, chances are Thewlis or I made it easier when coding the module.

Also I need to check somehow if the character is dead or not. Should I just check for health <=0?

I doubt that it will work...

Code: [Select]
if not char.alive:
    # Character is dead...

Should. If you need to and that to string conditions: "char.alive" will make sure that the event/button will only appear if character is alive.

*I'll look into a possibility of preventing dead chars from interacting with the open world, there should already be some of these checks in place.
Like what we're doing?