Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821654 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5700 on: September 02, 2015, 04:23:16 PM »
Speaking of single letters, in the idol quest there is stuff like q = register_quest("Strange Idol") in init. I use it too just in case.
But after that we never use that q anymore, we use "Strange Idol" name directly. So why do we even do it?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:46:37 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Gismo

« Reply #5701 on: September 02, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
Here is my push. (done with hero sprites...)
- New Hero profile screen
- Changed the brightness of many elements and screens under one common style (not yet all redone)
- Add circle hero portraits (tag - cportrait)
- Add hero profile picture (tag - sprofile)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #5702 on: September 02, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
Speaking of single letters, in the idol quest there it stuff like q = register_quest("Strange Idol") in init. I use it too just in case.
But after that we never use that q anymore, we use "Strange Idol" name directly. So why do we even do it?

No idea, my guess would be that register_quest("Strange Idol") function call and string to the event registration would do the same thing. It doesn't hurt, maybe Thewlis didn't allow strings at first and used that for testing before he coded in a lookup.

Here is my push. (done with hero sprites...)
- New Hero profile screen
- Changed the brightness of many elements and screens under one common style (not yet all redone)
- Add circle hero portraits (tag - cportrait)
- Add hero profile picture (tag - sprofile)

Bunch of errors and some off behaviour. I'll take a look for the next 30 mins and call it a night. Some are prolly code, but I get missing image error when entering the quests manager for example right off the bat.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5703 on: September 03, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
I took a day off from writing interactions and events today, and finally finished the second touhou pack, without chars data files yet. It's really relaxing to just tag stuff and don't think about anything  :D

I have to say, touhou packs and their quests should always be optional, and not be a part of the main release. This time 5 chars took 1.5 GB and 4000 pics, you need a good internet connection (not to mention disk space) for this stuff.
But it's a pleasure to work with a lot of high quality material nevertheless, unlike some other chars that barely cover main categories.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:02:29 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5704 on: September 03, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »
Question: Are mobs going to be encountered randomly, only in the arena, in the arena and randomly in certain areas, or in the arena and in specific outside events/locations?

I'm trying to figure if I should use different backgrounds for different monsters/beasts based on the location in which they are encountered in the game. If all of them are just in the arena, then I can stick with one background for the entire bestiary. Aye?
"You think I CARE!?"
"Yeah, you're getting really angry about it."

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5705 on: September 03, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
That's complicated...
They in theory could be encountered inside SE (simulated exploration, where you send parties to explore lands around the city). But you don't actually SEE them in action, since you cannot send MC to SE. And all fights in SE go off-screen, inside the code.

So you can encounter them in arena and certain areas inside SE, but you can SEE them in arena only. Well, at least for now. I can't add events with BE until Xela will make a simpler function for it, but I will. And then there will be events too.

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5706 on: September 03, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
That's complicated...
They in theory could be encountered inside SE (simulated exploration, where you send parties to explore lands around the city). But you don't actually SEE them in action, since you cannot send MC to SE. And all fights in SE go off-screen, inside the code.

So you can encounter them in arena and certain areas inside SE, but you can SEE them in arena only. Well, at least for now. I can't add events with BE until Xela will make a simpler function for it, but I will. And then there will be events too.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.
"You think I CARE!?"
"Yeah, you're getting really angry about it."

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5707 on: September 04, 2015, 02:29:51 AM »
I created a page for the tagger using github wiki  :)
I'm not brave enough to write there about tags since it's clearly NSFW. I think I'll just add all info in the tagger, or maybe give a link to the forum thread.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5708 on: September 04, 2015, 04:02:36 PM »
Yeah, quests seem to work as usual without that init part. I'll remove it.
No, I was wrong. It worked because I had the same init part in two places. Once I deleted all inits, quests stopped working.
So you have to register_quest before using it.

I wonder if it's safe to use q everywhere, or it's better to come up with unique names.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5709 on: September 04, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »
I wonder if it's safe to use q everywhere, or it's better to come up with unique names.

It is perfectly safe. Quest should not stop working if the first thing you do is register them in labels, there is a special func for that with an appropriate name.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5710 on: September 05, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
Another major issue with quests, awesome  ::)

I use checks like
if not(pytfall.world_quests.check_stage("Uzumaki Clan", 1)):
to start scenes when needed. And it works pretty good until you go to the next day.
I just noticed it, checks like that one start to work again every time you go to the next day. Meaning stage resets to 0 every day, effectively destroying my quest structure. Ffs  :(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:07:33 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5711 on: September 05, 2015, 05:43:22 PM »
That is consistent with my post on that method and the docsting:

Code: [Select]
            """Safe way of checking a stage of a quest.

Will return None if quest is not active stage is below the requested stage value and True if it equals or above.
            """

Nothing is destroyed or reset. I'll rewrite the method to return None if the stage is above and below the argument provided.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5712 on: September 05, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
Consistent? How?
not(pytfall.world_quests.check_stage("Uzumaki Clan", 1)):
should return true as long as stage is 0 (or none) and false if it's 1 or higher. And does it as long as you won't go to the next day.
The moment you go to the next day it begins to return true again, while quest stage is (in theory) 1 or higher. But it works as long as you don't go to the next day.

I don't really see any logic here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:52:33 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5713 on: September 05, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »

I expected you'll be checking is a quest is active and checking them from top stage to the bottom one. Why I though that I have no idea. It's been a hectic week, next week will be the same... I am trying to do at least one small task every night but I am usually both tired and unfocused :(

It should work properly now.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 06:02:06 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5714 on: September 05, 2015, 06:07:43 PM »
Wait-wait-wait. I'm perfectly fine with check_stage function, it does what I expect it to do. Though a function that checks self.get(quest).stage == stage will be welcomed too, but it's not a problem, I can write it myself based on yours.

I'm talking about quest system itself. Judging by stuff I see in the game, when checks that are supposed to work only at stage 0 can work again with every next day, I believe that somehow quests don't save their stages after going to the next day, resetting to 0 every time.