Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821597 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5850 on: September 20, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Well, actually I was referring to your code where you check items_pool = list(item for item in items.values() if item.price <= amount). So I suppose it should be  if "Look around" in item.location() or something?

If you are planning to add "Look around" as a string to locations than yes, but prolly: if "some_string" in item.locations

Definitely without the braces.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5851 on: September 20, 2015, 02:18:52 PM »
It's been some time since I actually run the game to play and not to test something new  :)
The game becomes unstable after you look at fonts, but I suppose it doesn't matter since there won't be such a thing in non-dev version.

My major concern is gui in some places.
- First of all, MC team is quite meh. We have a decent gui for team members at the fighters guild, we can just take it from there.
- Finance screen is a big no. That light blue thing should be replaced by pretty much anything.
- MC equipment screen should be build precisely in the same way as girls screens. You may keep sliding if you like it, but currently it's inconvenient as hell if you actually want to do something there, not just take a look at it.
- Filters at the girls screen look like a mess. There are so many of them, and there will be even more. We cannot keep them as they are.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:21:13 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5852 on: September 20, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »
Gismo is working on the equipment screen, new version prototype looks really good and has the same type of filters. I am aware of the rest of the issues.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5853 on: September 20, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
I found another commercial renpy VN game at rutracker, Roommates. It has very good music and icons (packed in rpa archives, but there is a software for this at the lemma). Music is especially good, I will add it to some places.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5854 on: September 20, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
Couldn't fall asleep so there are couple of decent updated tonight, two minor issues cleared and I refactored main map screen + made sure "hidden" also works for the buttons.

It's been some time since I actually run the game to play and not to test something new  :)
The game becomes unstable after you look at fonts, but I suppose it doesn't matter since there won't be such a thing in non-dev version.

My major concern is gui in some places.
- First of all, MC team is quite meh. We have a decent gui for team members at the fighters guild, we can just take it from there.
- Finance screen is a big no. That light blue thing should be replaced by pretty much anything.
- MC equipment screen should be build precisely in the same way as girls screens. You may keep sliding if you like it, but currently it's inconvenient as hell if you actually want to do something there, not just take a look at it.
- Filters at the girls screen look like a mess. There are so many of them, and there will be even more. We cannot keep them as they are.

You should start issues for these things, stuff like this gets lost/forgotten otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:22:02 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5855 on: September 21, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
I think something is wrong. I tried a line  $ gm.enter_location(goodtraits=["Psychic"], occupations=["Caster"]) for the magic tower. Meaning there should be chars with Psychic trait or Caster occupation (that includes all mages classes).
So far I met two Psychics, zero mages and tons of Prostitutes. That's hardly working as intended  :D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5856 on: September 21, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »
It's not my last update. Your mage trait is being overwritten by my testing version from testing json, so caster is not even a thing. There are also other priorities like picking an unique girl over random one for one if the slots. If you talked to someone and increased disposition, that will also give character a priority. It's also possible that a game is simple not creating enough of random chars or not creating them appropriately... It's a fairly complex system at this point, I am pretty sure that the code in GMSlot is sound, I'll be updating rest of the code as we go, but it's a part of GM characters generation so it's a different issue.

Main problem here is the testing JSON I think (feel free to get rid of it and test a properly named file), I recall that your traits had some illegal values but I could be mistaken. My testing traits never had a "Caster" general occupation. Anyway, I had 3 hours of sleep last night, so I am turning in early tonight :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5857 on: September 21, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
I've added transitions to the BE, use:
Code: [Select]
battle = BE_Core(Image("content/gfx/bg/be/b_forest_1.png"), music="content/sfx/music/be/battle (14).ogg", start_sfx=dissolve, end_sfx=dissolve)
This is a simple example, but it should take any transition (not tested).

===
Angelica will now teach Ice and Thunder magic. If we agree that healing spells can only be leaned from items, we can close the case spells issue.

We also need solid limitation to elemental alignments that she can add, it seems to simple... maybe even higher prices or a lock for a max elements she can add per game per character and maximum per x amount of days for any character. But that is prolly port next release.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5858 on: September 22, 2015, 12:53:23 AM »
Right, let's clarify something.
- All mages have Caster general occupation, as you can see in classes traits json. So when I write occupations=["Caster"], I mean all classes traits with that occupation. We already have this check for GMs.
- I cannot remove testing json, since the game stops working.
  File "game/script.rpy", line 6, in script
    python:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 70, in <module>
    temp = [TestingJob(), WhoreJob(), StripJob(), ServiceJob()]
  File "game/library/businesses&buildings/classes - jobs.rpy", line 1906, in __init__
    self.occupation_traits = [traits["Service"]] # Corresponing traits...
KeyError: 'Service'
I suppose you rely too much on testing traits.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5859 on: September 22, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
I've got rid of the testing file, when I was working on it, there was nothing else to rely on.

===
We need to do something about the map, for some reason Gismo cut some of the locations all weird so now if you hover next to them (like beach and etc.) they keep loosing and gaining focus. Either they need to be recut or we need a matrix for them...

There is also a small update to giving gifts interface.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5860 on: September 23, 2015, 01:46:04 AM »
Still no...
Maybe I do it wrong, or there is a problem with rchars code?

I changed rchar json like "occupations": ["Mage", "Healer"], and used $ gm.enter_location(goodtraits=["Psychic"], occupations=["Caster"]). Both Mage and Healer have Caster general occupation.
And I've never ever seen any mages, only prostitutes and Psychics.

Then I tried to add ["Mage", 100] to traits, that should guarantee that the character will be a mage. Still no.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5861 on: September 23, 2015, 01:56:08 AM »
Now I tried to change it to $ gm.enter_location(goodtraits=["Healer", "Mage"], occupations=["Caster"]). After a week I finally met one mage who also was a prostitute. I think the prostitute part was the reason I met her at all.
And I never met a pure Caster no mater what I tried, even though I have 3 Caster rchars (mage, healer, battle mage).

Then I made a unique character with Mage occuption. Unique ones should have a higher priority than random ones. I went to tower and met 3 prostitutes.
Then I added Mage trait directly, and FINALLY I met that unique mage character (still zero random mages).

But wait, what if we change it like $ gm.enter_location(goodtraits=["Healer"], occupations=["Caster"])? It still should return all casters, including our unique mage.
Well, the answer is no, you will never meet her there.

I'm 100% sure that it doesn't work as intended. At very least something is wrong with random chars, and occupation field doesn't work too.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:05:52 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5862 on: September 23, 2015, 03:01:24 AM »
At very least something is wrong with random chars

Until this:

https://github.com/XelaPy/PyTFall/issues/11

is cleared, it's useless to expect rchars to be properly added to game world without interventions. For example, for all the jobs testing that I do rchars are created and setup in my testing file as required.

Then I made a unique character with Mage occuption. Unique ones should have a higher priority than random ones. I went to tower and met 3 prostitutes.
Then I added Mage trait directly, and FINALLY I met that unique mage character (still zero random mages).

But wait, what if we change it like $ gm.enter_location(goodtraits=["Healer"], occupations=["Caster"])? It still should return all casters, including our unique mage.
Well, the answer is no, you will never meet her there.

... and occupation field doesn't work too.

This is a problem, I'll try take a look at it right now unless something urgent comes up.

=========
Yeah, what goes wrong basically is that Mages that were added to the priority list are being thrown out of it because they are not Healers.

It still should return all casters

I am not sure that's how we planned it when the system was written, in fact I recall suggesting to be very careful when using this priorities. I am reluctant of rewriting the class before major GM upgrade. So just use Caster if you any Caster and add Healer if you wish only healers to be singled out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:25:01 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5863 on: September 23, 2015, 03:41:17 AM »
Do we even need occupation field in chars jsons now, when occupations are almost traits?

Offline Gismo

« Reply #5864 on: September 23, 2015, 03:45:28 AM »
===
We need to do something about the map, for some reason Gismo cut some of the locations all weird so now if you hover next to them (like beach and etc.) they keep loosing and gaining focus. Either they need to be recut or we need a matrix for them...

I recut them. Push with equipment screen, when finish it.