devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821193 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #6450 on: December 20, 2015, 08:07:55 AM »
Couldn't you ask at renpy forum about multiple threads?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #6451 on: December 20, 2015, 08:37:41 AM »
Couldn't you ask at renpy forum about multiple threads?

Because I did more testing this morning on a fresh head and now convinced that it plainly not meant to work like that in Ren'Py. Even if we rewrite the engine internally, we'd have to update it every time new update comes out, I've plainly tried something that was a bad idea in the first place and did not work out, it's not like that was the first time.

80% of the new code that I wrote will be used in any system, it's just a more appropriate handing of gfx events.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6452 on: December 20, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
I think I've got it! I'll just calculate all time base values before execution, bind them to a dict vs correct, curried function and call them one by one, pausing in between from a list of sorted keys! That should work perfectly without any fuss and under normal Ren'Py operations! Plus it will allow step by step skipping just like before!

It's not cool or advanced but it's super simple and easy to work with (which is usually an advantage), I just prototyped it with a simple setup and it worked perfectly! I gtg now for an hour or two, gonna try this for real when I get back.

==>
Something came up so I didn't get much done tonight save the initial concept testing, gonna hack at it for another 1 or 2 hours and call it a night.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:10:11 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6453 on: December 20, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »
Well sh#t, I know now why the game didn't worked with my previous testing rpy. I'm rewriting stripping job, and I wanted to tested it, so I commented out Bar upgrade and returned StripClub upgrade. And here we go, infamous bool error immediately.
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 41, in script
    $ building.run_nd()
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 41, in <module>
    $ building.run_nd()
  File "game/library/businesses&buildings/classes - core buildings.rpy", line 556, in run_nd
    self.env.run(until=100)
Exception: (TypeError("object of type 'bool' has no len()",), TypeError("object of type 'bool' has no len()",))
I suppose it has something to do with len_clients = len(self.clients) lines in multiple places, which were there before me.

I'm not really sure how to rewrite these parts correctly, so I stop remaining jobs rewriting until they become available  ::)

Offline krakr

« Reply #6454 on: December 21, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
Got a quick issue I'd like to bring up that's been bugging me for a while.
Most of the game has a brown wood grainy background. I guess I'm getting color blind in my old age, I have to struggle to see all the blue text when it's on the brown bg.
It's due to the darkness of that particular blue.
No issues with any of the other text colors though.
Sorry to interrupt the conversation.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6455 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:12 PM »
Which version do you mean? Alpha or the current one?

I mean, I don't really see much of blue text in the current version, so I suspect it's alpha. I don't remember how it looked like, we released it a long time ago.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:41:28 PM by DarkTl »

Offline krakr

« Reply #6456 on: December 21, 2015, 01:04:13 PM »
Which version do you mean? Alpha or the current one?

I mean, I don't really see much of blue text in the current version, so I suspect it's alpha. I don't remember how it looked like, we released it a long time ago.
The current one Here's an example of the blue I just found:

It's not on the brown background, but it is dark. I saw another screenshot that showed what I was talking about better, but can't find it now.
That's the particular blue that gives me trouble though. Even on this background it looks a little fuzzy to my eyes.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6457 on: December 21, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »
Ah, you meant exploration module. It should and will be rewritten of course, including gui.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6458 on: December 21, 2015, 03:44:58 PM »

This is older design that we prolly do not have anymore... although it was a 100% working one :)

===
I've created a new issue, got a bit sick so I couldn't work on anything today. I should have a lot more time for this at any rate during the holiday seasons :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #6459 on: December 22, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »
...Let me see if I understand the situation.

There is a 'alpha', which is downloadable, moddable, etc.  It is also very out-of-date.

There is a 'Development version', which you are discussing and improving, but also not distributing.

Is that the gist of how things stand, currently?

-

I wonder why recovery is '25 health, roughly, if you have any AP spare' rather than 'roughly 25 per AP'?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:36:07 AM by Bloodly »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6460 on: December 22, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »
There is a 'alpha', which is downloadable, moddable, etc.  It is also very out-of-date.

There is a 'Development version', which you are discussing and improving, but also not distributing.
Yeap. The dev version has new features, better gui, better packs, etc. but it's not ready for actual playing because of unfinished parts of the code, so it's pointless to distribute it atm.

I wonder why recovery is '25 health, roughly, if you have any AP spare' rather than 'roughly 25 per AP'?
Where is it from?

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #6461 on: December 22, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
Normal healing per day, and it's slightly worse than I stated: it's up to 25, based on AP you have left.  This is in the Alpha that is downloadable.

The only other option, currently, is potions.  Then there's taxes, too.  I wonder when I'm supposed to train girls and get them ranks to make them earn more money to help pay the taxes? 

I have two: a slave and someone I charmed after about 2 month's work on it.  Working on a third(Started on her, then the other turned up).  Basically living by the skin of our teeth in terms of money, mostly via Arena.  Living in House 2.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:34:58 AM by Bloodly »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6462 on: December 22, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
We got feedback from multiple forums, but even here we have a thread made by alpha testers, here. They have some tips about the gameplay.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6463 on: December 22, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »
Normal healing per day, and it's slightly worse than I stated: it's up to 25, based on AP you have left.  This is in the Alpha that is downloadable.

The only other option, currently, is potions.  Then there's taxes, too.  I wonder when I'm supposed to train girls and get them ranks to make them earn more money to help pay the taxes? 

I have two: a slave and someone I charmed after about 2 month's work on it.  Working on a third(Started on her, then the other turned up).  Basically living by the skin of our teeth in terms of money, mostly via Arena.  Living in House 2.

Following should be noted:

- Getting hurt while doing a none combat job is a relatively rare event and is close to impossible with proper security.
- The idea was not to launch the game with 0 lvl population... it was a design for a much simpler SimBro clone that I've started and that was dropped after Dark and CW joined the dev team as content creators and Jaeke as a proper beta tester. Also a decent amount of code was contributed by rudi, longint, eliont and several others. So Alpha was somewhere in between of two concepts...
- A number if possible starts have been explored and confirmed to be playable in Alpha. Simplest one seems to be a two good Slaves ==> Training ==> Work option. That setups proper cashflow income and allows expansion of business.

===
In Beta we want the following:

- Events and Quests to enrich the game play.
- Better moddability.
- Simulated exploration module that explores unstable regions near the city for cash and quests.
- Far more interaction options and friend/lovers system.
- More advanced businesses mechanics.
- Better Stats/Skills Management.
- (Now) better texts.
- Better graphics, GUI and general SFX (Also related logic, it is now possible to see the common effects of items before they are equipped *which was not easy to set up under a system as advanced as ours).
- Cooler Battle Engine that was already rewritten 100% and now even further improved + It is now also already possible to put all fights through battle engine while in Alpha there was just a lame function comparing battle stats of two parties...
- More content in general, like spells, NPCs and etc.
- Introduction to quarters
- Prolly moar...

===
For official release:

- Quarters Module
- Gang warfare in Fleebottom quarter, corruption vs economy in better quarters
- Crafting
- Better Arena integration.
- Politics module (which will allow to influence taxes, laws (slaves participating in combat, slave trade, drugs, whoring and etc.))
- Politician Module where player is playing a role of a Noble, setting his trusted workers/allies at key positions and managing city - continent wide stuff.
- More interaction and a more complete interactions module.
- More content and etc.

Post Official Release:

- Gang module in
- Proper Economy module (inflation, competition on a global scale, demand/supply simulation + event driven mods)
- Player guided Exploration (Some form of Dungeon crawler)
- Moar content (hopefully by a modders instead of the dev team)
- More minigames

==>>>
At least that is the plan for now, we're working on it bit by bit clearing a number of issues/obstacles. The idea is to create a game with complex mechanics which can be played in local as well as global layers. At this point, we are still working solely on local part and wrapping up some other designs...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #6464 on: December 22, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
You have big plans.  The question is if all these glorious massive ideas is...necessary. 

The biggest problem with these big projects is they get bogged down because they're trying to do too much, everyone gets tired, and they die slow.

It seems....the heart of the game isn't in place, nor does it...sound...like you're clear what the heart of the game even is. 

I mean: What are 'you' trying to do/achieve that would require such a massive framework, shooting up into global politics and grand strategy territory to do?

It sounds like you want 5 different games in 1.  That's not impossible, but it's very tricky.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:32:45 PM by Bloodly »