devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821917 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #6465 on: December 22, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »
You have big plans.  The question is if all these glorious massive ideas is...necessary. 

No, none if it is "necessary", nothing bad will happen to anyone on the dev team or in general if we just quit or do less.

The biggest problem with these big projects is they get bogged down because they're trying to do too much, everyone gets tired, and they die slow.

We've been at it for almost three years. Projects die when people with unsteady RL or those who don't have a slightest ideas of what they are getting into start making insane plans.

It seems....the heart of the game isn't in place, nor does it...sound...like you're clear what the heart of the game even is. 

I recon that heart, brains, spleen, intestines and a lot of other organs are just in the right place, you're ofcourse welcome to your own opinion ;)

I mean: What are 'you' trying to do/achieve that would require such a massive framework, shooting up into global politics and grand strategy territory to do?

To create one decent game that does exactly what you said above. God knows that there are plenty of games out there that offer good art (+ simple logic) or same general art (as we do) but with half-baked logic. So "I" am trying to get one major title rolling that would be worth playing and could pull off a more or less complete world simulation from "under"/overview, what others whom contributed to the project want, you'll have to ask them :)

It sounds like you want 5 different games in 1.  That's not impossible, but it's very tricky.

Well, noone ever said it'd be easy.

===>>>
We're not planning on doing all of that "cr@p" at once. For beta we have very modest goals and nothing that can get in a way of that except lack of time/will/manpower. Each of those modules along with proper balancing may take a good deal of time but by the same reasoning:

Why make 5 games that are just a little bit different from what's already out there instead of making one open world game that can take include it all, as long as we take it one step at a time. Alpha was already well received, Beta should be a lot better, we will get that far at least, what we do afterwards (keep hacking at PyTFall/Start something new/Combination of both/Quit all together) we'll discuss after the release :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #6466 on: December 22, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »

To create one decent game that does exactly what you said above. God knows that there are plenty of games out there that offer good art (+ simple logic) or same general art (as we do) but with half-baked logic. So "I" am trying to get one major title rolling that would be worth playing and could pull off a more or less complete world simulation from "under"/overview, what others whom contributed to the project want, you'll have to ask them :)

When I said 'you' I meant 'you the character'.  What the heck is gonna drive a player to take the world stage from a simple brothel owner, even if they somehow have buckets of money and God-girls...beyond 'because it's there', which is always there.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6467 on: December 22, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »
When I said 'you' I meant 'you the character'.  What the heck is gonna drive a player to take the world stage from a simple brothel owner, even if they somehow have buckets of money and God-girls...beyond 'because it's there', which is always there.

How is this even a question? + it'll prolly not be possible to do everything in one gameplay once we get that far.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6468 on: December 23, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »
I mean: What are 'you' trying to do/achieve that would require such a massive framework, shooting up into global politics and grand strategy territory to do?
Quests and story, obviously.

a player to take the world stage from a simple brothel owner
A player doesn't have to be a brothel owner btw.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6469 on: December 23, 2015, 04:01:06 AM »
And yet another super-busy day before the holidays for me... I'll try to do something small tonight if possible.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6470 on: December 23, 2015, 05:11:29 AM »
You can start with enabling stripper job without CTDs, if it's not a big deal. This way I will be able to rewrite it properly.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6471 on: December 23, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
stripper job without CTDs

Need more info, last I've checked, it was working for me.

Edit, no... seems broken somehow for me as well.

===>>>
Edit2:

I've fixed it, maybe some code was lost during refactoring because it could not have been coded like that before. It should work for now but requires some major updates, especially to how skills/stats are handled.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:55:50 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6472 on: December 24, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »
Do you think it worth it to try to move picture closer during hugging/kissing interactions? That's how it's done on that game I mentioned before.

On the other hand, we might not know where character face is, so it might lead to weird effects. We could also enlarge portrait a bit during scene, it's probably safer.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6473 on: December 24, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
On the other hand, we might not know where character face is, so it might lead to weird effects. We could also enlarge portrait a bit during scene, it's probably safer.

I think you've answered this one yourself. We can add SFX + some general GFX effects (which can be made pretty cool as well) but not zoom-ins for specific parts of the image. Not outside of unique events anyway.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6474 on: December 25, 2015, 12:58:45 AM »
I have to ask how do you see the logic of refusing because of wrong profession, because I'm not sure how to handle it.

Let's say we have a cleaner and a waitress. They both are servers, as general occupation. Should there be any issues when you try to make a cleaner to work as waitress and vice versa, aside from obvious lack of required skills?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6475 on: December 25, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »
I have to ask how do you see the logic of refusing because of wrong profession, because I'm not sure how to handle it.

Let's say we have a cleaner and a waitress. They both are servers, as general occupation. Should there be any issues when you try to make a cleaner to work as waitress and vice versa, aside from obvious lack of required skills?

Plan is: First we check Job assignment, then pure occupation, then general occupation. We may add more controls over it but only after the system is working properly. We do not check this in check_occupation method, it is checked by the business class directly. Job.check_occupation is meant to discard workers that were placed to do a job but not willing OR modify their stats if they are willing but not wanting.

I am also considering adding those checks during assignment, so we don't have to deal with unwanting, but I am not 100% sure if that is the right way.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6476 on: December 25, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
Finished the core update to BE GFX method! Works perfectly this time!

Number of attacks are messed up and almost all attacks are incomplete (new code allows better handling of gfx effects and now timed death and shake effects are possible). There is still much to do like proper inheritance through all classes, proper defaults (I messed both of these up writing previous code fur to stupid mistake) + a rewrite for more advanced spells. Maybe another refactoring but that can wait...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6477 on: December 25, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
Well, testing BE mode is messed up completely for sure :D

I am also considering adding those checks during assignment, so we don't have to deal with unwanting, but I am not 100% sure if that is the right way.
Hmmm. I like the idea. Such characters might lose joy and vitality much faster instead of constant chance to refuse which could be irritating for player.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:02:08 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6478 on: December 25, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
Well, testing BE mode is messed up completely for sure :D

I haven't pushed yet :) still hacking at it:

- Rewrote some parts of the code.
- Arranged for proper inheritance/passing of args.
- Refactored code so it's simpler to use in other methods (finishing up now).
- Fixed a couple of bugs.
- Added more control over gfx effects.

Still to do:
- More complicated attacks update.
- Proper handing of defaults.
- Docs/Comments

- Update all attacks (but I'll push long before that). We can slowly do this over time.
- Add moar gfx/sfx.

Hmmm. I like the idea. Such characters might lose joy and vitality much faster instead of constant chance to refuse which could be irritating for player.

It's just matter of moving code from check_occupation to assignment screen.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6479 on: December 25, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »
No, not entirely... If we check disposition to find out if the character agrees to work at wrong job in the first place, then we cannot decrease it every turn anymore because we don't check it every turn any longer.
Instead they could waste more AP, joy and vitality than normally.