devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821878 times)

Offline John Bull

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #7575 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:17 AM »
I am not sure that Alpha gameplay is relevant to Beta, download it if you like, but this is what more modern version look like (without H stuff which YouTube frowns upon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VowPkYSq_6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMiX1GFHtI&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCwnZxGQBc

it's all open source btw if you have time to figure out how to get it to work, we have a guide for that somewhere I think.

:|

This looks pretty next gen. All my ramblings were based on the alpha. Where can I get the beta?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #7576 on: May 16, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
Xela, things like [char.pC] don't work inside rts function, such as the one in the interactions_interests label.

Sh1T.. Ren'Py is not setup to do interpolation twice (or more). I think this makes sense so it's prolly not even a bug. We'll have to make some changes, like in:

Code: [Select]
        $ line = rts(char, {
        "Exhibitionist": ["She tells you pretty hot stories about her exhibitionistic adventures in a local park."],
        "Athletic": ["You discuss beach volleyball which became quite popular among local girls lately.", "You discuss places for swimming. Looks like most girls prefer beaches to pools because it's free."],
        "Manly": ["She gives you a lecture on how to build your muscles properly. You feel a bit offended, but keep your cool.", "She casually remarks that you should exercise more often, and gives you some advice."],
        "Chubby": ["You have a lively discussion about your favorite local bakeries and pastry shops.", "Your conversation turns toward cooking, and she shares some of her recipes. They are all pretty high in calories..."],
        "Slim": ["You compliment her figure, and the conversation quickly turns toward healthy lifestyle. Ugh.", "She brags about her metabolism, allowing her to eat sweets and not get fat. You envy her."],
        "Alien": ["She talks about her homeland. You are listening with interest.", "You discuss local events she witnessed. She doesn't understand the meaning of some of them, and you spend some of your time to explain."],
        "Half-Sister": ["You discuss your common father. The sad discussion quickly turns into a sarcastic one, when you try to count all his lovers and daughters.", "She tells you about her mother. You listen in silence, trying to imagine yours.", "You spend time together you reminiscing about fun and embarrassing moments from your childhood."],
        "Scars": ["She complains about how her scars cause inconvenience. You comfort her."],
        "Artificial Body": ["Tempted by curiosity, you ask about her artificial body. Her explanations are very long and confusing.", "You discuss the regular maintenance required by her body. It's a pretty complex, but piquant conversation."],
        "Lolita": ["She complains about how hard it is to find adult clothes for her figure. You're trying to take her away from this sensitive topic.", "She tells you funny stories about disappointed (and imprisoned) paedophiles confused by her body size. What a strange topic."],
        "Strange Eyes": ["She notices how you look at her unusual eyes. Embarrassed, she refuses to look at you or discuss anything."],
        "Great Arse": ["You try to keep it to small talk, trying not to think about her gorgeous butt and what would you do if you were behind her."],
        "Long Legs": ["During your small conversation you can't help but glance at her long legs. Looks like she is used to it and doesn't care much."],
        "Abnormally Large Boobs": ["You vaguely remember your conversation, paying most of your attention to her amazing chest.", "She complains about high costs for the purchase of new bra. It appears that the fabric is not strong enough to withstand such loads. Without knowing what reaction she expected, you keep your poker face."],
        "Big Boobs": ["She complains how a big chest spoils the posture. You sympathize with her, very convincingly and almost sincerely."],
        "Small Boobs": ["She starts a conversation about irrelevance of chest size. You carefully assent, trying to not piss her off."],
        "Fire": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of fire."],
        "Water": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of water."],
        "Air": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of air."],
        "Earth": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of earth."],
        "Ice": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of ice."],
        "Electricity": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of electricity."],
        "Light": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of light."],
        "Darkness": ["Your conversation turns to magic, and she enthusiastically tells you the intricacies of dealing with the power of darkness."],
        "Nerd": ["You discuss new books in local stores and libraries.", "Somehow your conversation comes to board games, and she enthusiastically explains to you the intricate rules of one of them."],
        "Psychic": ["It's difficult to participate in the conversation when your interlocutor knows your words in advance. She seems to enjoy teasing you, however.", "She complains about headaches, dizziness and other neural disorders that are common for psychics."],
        "Optimist": ["Looks like she is in a good mood. Laughing and joking during your conversation, she quickly turns it into a humorous one.", "You exchange your freshest anecdotes."],
        "Pessimist": ["Looks like she's not in the mood. Your conversation is pretty gloomy, though you managed to cheer her up a bit."],
        "Serious": ["You have a very serious conversation about local politics and taxes. You feel squeezed like a lemon.", "She gives you a lecture about the importance of planning for the future. You heroically hold back a yawn."],
        "Extremely Jealous": ["She inquires about your relationships with other girls. You carefully dispel her concern, trying not to make definitive statements."],
        "Virtuous": ["She tells about her volunteer work. It's nice, but a bit boring."],
        "Vicious": ["She gossips with obvious pleasure about her acquaintance's misfortunes."],
        "Dawdler": ["You have a lazy, indolent discussion. Looks like she's half asleep.", "She pensively tells you about her recent dreams. You begin to feel drowsy."],
        "Clumsy": ["You talk about misfortunes caused by her clumsiness. You heroically hold back a smile and comfort her instead."],
        "Nymphomaniac": ["An innocent conversation turns into the discussion about sexual positions. She's really into this stuff.", "She passionately talks about her recent sexual adventures. Wow."],
        "Heavy Drinker": ["You discuss various types of alcohol, sharing your drinking experience."],
        "Always Hungry": ["You talk about food for some time. Looks like she can do it for hours, so you carefully interrupt the conversation."],
        "Curious": ["You exchange the latest news and gossip. She really knows a lot about it."],
        "cgo('Warrior')": ["You discuss the recent fights at the arena and their participants.", "You discuss a variety of fighting styles."],
        "cgo('Caster')": ["She enthusiastically talks about mysteries of arcane arts.", "You discuss her magical studies."],
        "cgo('SIW')": ["You gossip about the strangeness of some of her customers."],
        "cgo('Server')": ["She recounts rumors that she heard from customers lately. People tend to not notice service workers when they are not needed."],
        "default": ["You chat for some time."]
        })

"[line]"
        $ del line

"[line]"
must become:

$ narrator("{}".format(line))or if a char was speaking:
         $ char.say("{}".format(line))
That way, Python does one of the interpolations and Ren'Py does it's own thing that it supposed to. Same with most other funcs that return a line. I cannot think of a better way, unless we just have the function itself "talk", that will translate to a loss of some functionality but will be more convenient.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:44:28 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7577 on: May 16, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
This looks pretty next gen. All my ramblings were based on the alpha. Where can I get the beta?

Doesn't exist yet, only work that's been done towards the beta. Code + core resources can be found here:

https://github.com/XelaPy/PyTFall

You can download a zip, which is easy to do once but super inconvenient in the long run. For the long run, you'll need a version tracking software for Git. There are too many options to list, we use something called GitExtensions.

Also, Dev kit, called Ren'Py:

This one is easy, file under 50 Mb, download ==> unzip and you're done.

Once you have all of that:

1) Unpack/Install Ren'Py to a directory of your choosing.
2) Clone the repo from GitHub to a folder in the directory (for example, mine is called: RenPy/pytfall).
3) Download some charpacks and their data.json files and throw them into: RenPy/pytfall/game/content/char and RenPy/pytfall/game/content/rchar dirs (unique and random characters accordingly). You'd prolly want DOA, Naruto, One Piece packs at least cause there are some events written for them. Also all of the random chars or game world will feel really weird.

If done properly, you basically start Ren'Py, pick pytfall project and click on Launch Project. We also maintain testing.rpy files of our own, I can upload mine somewhere if you manage to get the rest straight.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:06:02 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7578 on: May 16, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
I often use extend in the sex scene. Lately i noticed that after I output next part of the text via extend, previously outputted text kinda becomes compressed, all spaces in it become a bit smaller.

It looks very bad.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7579 on: May 16, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
I often use extend in the sex scene. Lately i noticed that after I output next part of the text via extend, previously outputted text kinda becomes compressed, all spaces in it become a bit smaller.

It looks very bad.

This is something we can prolly fix. A solid test case is needed for that + some time to take a look at style properties. There is no rush, I doubt that it's something unfixable.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7580 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
         $ narrator("{}".format(line))
I've tested this case, but I wonder if:

$ narrator(line)

is a thing? I don't thing that we return anything except strings there...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:58:49 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7581 on: May 16, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
Yup, works too.

Thankfully, we don't have many pronouns yet, at least in places where they matter. So the new pronouns system is ready  :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7582 on: May 17, 2016, 05:34:05 AM »
After you beat the character, one of possible options might be to rob her. It's easy to do for gold, but I'm not sure how to do it for items.

Probably get a list of character items while filtering out some of them based on items fields and then pick one-two randomly. Except I dunno how  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:44:20 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7583 on: May 17, 2016, 06:07:29 AM »
After you beat the character, one of possible options might be to rob her. It's easy to do for gold, but I'm not sure how to it for items.

Probably get a list of character items while filtering out some of them based on items fields and then pick one-two randomly. Except I dunno how  :)

You can create issues for these things. Just add comment to code where it needs to happen and reference that in the issue so I can find it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7584 on: May 17, 2016, 06:29:14 AM »
Pics from BabeRunner (I am helping out with code a little bit):

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7585 on: May 17, 2016, 06:59:31 AM »
Many years ago, when I was in school and even didn't owned a pc since they were super rare back then, our school computers, running on norton commander naturally, had a few dos games with ok graphics.

One of them worked just like that, except it had many different enemies at the same time with very different AI which also shot you if take your time instead of quickly destroying them. To get ammo you had to shot ammo containers which sometimes appear on the screen.
Due to so many different things happening at the same time the game was quite challenging and fun.

Now, can renpy support 30+ independent moving objects with different algorithms?  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:06:28 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7586 on: May 17, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »
Now, can renpy support 30+ independent moving objects with different algorithms?  :)

Would be pretty f*cking weird if it couldn't 20+ years after the fact :D I mean if you try to stuff those 30+ objects on a screen as image buttons... you might be f*cked. If you do it on lower level through a UDD, it's not even remotely an issue (I mean like not even worth testing if it can be done before starting to write code for it), you could theoretically even throw animations in there. I've put some time working on something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn6AXf7mGIo in Ren'Py and even this worked well enough (I mean, that can come to rendering 1000+ object at any one time, depending on the amount of rays (or resolution to be more precise)). Was thinking this might be an option for the player guided exploration module but it's nowhere near as fun as a simpler design where you don't get free movement and can only move one step at a time (like Raidy/Bunny Black and etc.). There are also simpler rpg options as well.

I doubt will be heading that way though, even if it is technically possible, it's a Hentai VN at the core and this is just a minigame. I have some ideas on how to make it's logic at the very least "remotely" interesting but going to far with this might not be a good idea.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7587 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:24 AM »
Well, if you gonna use such minigame in Pytfall, it should look and work better than just shooting harmless targets with highly predictable trajectories.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7588 on: May 17, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »
Yeah, I'd go with my original design instead of this variation for PyTFall. Also if we place minigames this complex into the game, they need to be made meaningful somehow...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7589 on: May 17, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »
I have traces of ST module in interactions. What's up with it atm? Can I delete those (purely placeholdering) lines?

Because iirc it was coded for JoNT-style training, with rewards and stuff, so it probably will be fully rewritten by you.