Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821637 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #7920 on: August 05, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
Are there changelogs for prereleases btw? I only see them for releases.

Here: https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html

They came up with a whole new layout for docs as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7921 on: August 05, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
If you wish to rest from jobs, you can code your own proposition from here. Ie support for defaultish animations for warriors skills based solely on coding and single attack sprite.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7922 on: August 05, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
I don't get the meaning of local labels from the last prerelease. How are they different from normal labels? There is nothing in the provided example that can't be done via normal labels.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7923 on: August 05, 2016, 03:59:27 PM »
I don't get the meaning of local labels from the last prerelease. How are they different from normal labels? There is nothing in the provided example that can't be done via normal labels.

It's mainly for code readability, like:

Code: [Select]
label next_day:

label next_day.controls:

label next_day.end:

and so on. The idea is to allow "smarter" label structure.

If you wish to rest from jobs, you can code your own proposition from here. Ie support for defaultish animations for warriors skills based solely on coding and single attack sprite.

Yeah, I don't really remember what I planned there exactly. We have a lot of animations for combat attacks as well so they could be used, gonna take a look at that whole thing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7924 on: August 06, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »
Yeah, I don't really remember what I planned there exactly. We have a lot of animations for combat attacks as well so they could be used, gonna take a look at that whole thing.
Universal algorithms for animations that can be used for any type of weapon, based on one simple png sprite. Like multiple hits one after another. I could come up with list of examples if you willing to code it after all.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7925 on: August 06, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
Universal algorithms for animations that can be used for any type of weapon, based on one simple png sprite. Like multiple hits one after another. I could come up with list of examples if you willing to code it after all.

Yeah... why not, I am going to give it a shot. Make a list as you see it. I think the idea was to use code driven effects where we cannot find graphical once but if you think that we can do all of it with code, why not.
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #7926 on: August 06, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »
I need your input to know if its allright..

Base..

Closed eyes 100% ( can pick any number to get desired result )

Closed eyes with pain or blush 100% ( use closed eyes as base then curve upwards with more volume, also can stop where its needed )

what matters here is.. do they look alright as if they are not i need to change them now ( later is too late as i would have to rework everything in between )

Edit:
if they are good i can do eye by eye version from theyr bases
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:18:29 PM by lamoli »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7927 on: August 06, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
Code driven attacks mostly serve as basic skills. Like Fire-Fira-etc for fire spells.
I'll tell how I see it, not sure how much can be done without too advanced coding. Depending on equipped weapon the function takes attack sprite from \content\gfx\be, such as axes.png, and uses it in the animation.

1) Multiple hits one after another, when every weapon sprite uses random angle and random position (within reasonable limits, they still should be near the target). Each hit uses usual weapon sound. Like, for example instead of one single arrow attack a character unleashes multiple ones in quick succession.
With parameters such as how many hits animation has, how quickly alpha of each attack spite drops to 0, how many time passes between hits. This will allow to create multiple skills based on one animation function.

2) Single, but enlarged version of normal weapon attack with a flash or small distortion, for powerful attacks skills. We have full screen distortion for cataclysm if I'm not mistaken, I mean something like it but much smaller.

3) "Shadow Slash" you proposed in that thread. The problem here is to make it suitable for any weapon type, without the need to make it manually for every weapon. Maybe use weapon attack sprite as a mask to cut the target sprite with it?

4) Making screen black except the attacker sprite, then throwing it for some time from side to side like in pinball, with every change of movement direction accompanied by another weapon attack.

5) Back attack, when attacker sprite instantly moves behind target back (probably via a cloud of dust) and attacks with normal animation (maybe mirrored since position is mirrored too), then returns to original position.

Another important thing is issue 170, without it things are quite chaotic:

- "Since we have different weapons, these skills should be tied to base attack types. Like, some ranged skill could require BowAttack or ThrowAttack available to be used."
If character had a sword equipped, s/he should have basic sword attack available, not like atm when they have all attacks in the game. Moreover, even if s/he knows all weapons skills in the game, only skills allowed for sword users should be available inside BE. Meaning weapon skills should have lists of available weapons.

- "We have base attack type in characters jsons that should be used if they are unarmed. Equipping a weapon though should add a basic skill provided by that weapon (like swordattack for a sword) to attacks list, meaning we should carefully handle cases when a character already has swordattack, just like with traits."
It starts from my post and continues. The idea is how to handle characters which sprites already have weapons of some kind.

- "Support for absolute values"
Done by me, just like health and vitality cost  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:48:15 PM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7928 on: August 06, 2016, 01:45:33 PM »
what matters here is.. do they look alright as if they are not i need to change them now ( later is too late as i would have to rework everything in between )
Nothing wrong with them at all, I'd say they are perfect.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7929 on: August 06, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »
I don't know... we can try it but it'll prolly suck. I proposed code driven idea as an option to fill on the blanks, it's worth trying but we'll have to work in some real attacks in there as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7930 on: August 06, 2016, 06:38:41 PM »
Yeah, when you really get into it, it becomes clear that the whole thing is gonna feel awful. We'll have to come up with a separate system with unique attacks if we want to make it look on par with magic.

I will make a default along the lines of simple multi-attacks, just need to sleep on it for a night. Best way I thought of so far are direct method overwrites so unless nothing better comes to mind till tomorrow, I'll just do that.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7931 on: August 07, 2016, 05:48:30 AM »
I dunno, it's hard to imagine. But the issue 170 still stands, no matter what kind of animations we'll have.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7932 on: August 07, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »
I dunno, it's hard to imagine. But the issue 170 still stands, no matter what kind of animations we'll have.

Most of that is already possible, new attacks can be added in a similar way to magic attacks. GUI and (maybe. I prolly removed those) removing code restrictions on multiple normal attacks shouldn't be hard.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7933 on: August 07, 2016, 08:36:17 AM »
What do you think extra attacks should be bound to? Level? Experience? Classes? Weapons as they are now (like some weapons allow a single attack, some allow two or three and etc)??

We need to come up with a system that is simple in code and intuitive to play, cause this can quickly become another 500 lines of if/else code and weeks of dev time cause magic is always bound to a character while weapons can be changed with a click of a mouse.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7934 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »
The magic dodges look absolutely ridiculous, I wish you'd remove them :( They pretty much all will require some sort of interventions with code and time controls.
Like what we're doing?