Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821224 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #7995 on: August 10, 2016, 05:35:13 PM »
Code structure is the same for both, isn't? Just the formulas/if.else forks are different?

I was on nightly, that's why nothing worked. Gonna fall back to prerelease and try again.

====>>>
On the multi-element front, I'll take a looksie, not sure what's going on there...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7996 on: August 10, 2016, 05:44:39 PM »
I think we just need to remove the else in the effects method... just a slight rewrite of the code and it should all work. I think multi elements already work btw, at least according to code they do...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7997 on: August 10, 2016, 06:31:26 PM »
The system of attributes that we use is a bit confusing because it was developed to handle only very simple skills.
We have ranged and melee. They are both physical attacks, the difference is range, not source. So we shouldn't calculate anything related to damage based on them, they only should affect range. For physical source it's better to use another attribute, like "physical". I think I'll handle it on my own though.

The difficult part is to process more than one damage source. Like 50/50 light and physical, or 33/33/33 fire/air/darkness. Meaning:
- attack, defense and damage parts calculated as usual, without changing anything
- then damage output is divided equally between all sources attributes, like 50/50 for fire/air
- check for absorption and resistance for elemental parts, individually
- for those that were not absorbed or resisted checks for elemental multipliers, I mean those inside the get_attributes_multiplier function, individually too
- after calculations, deal all types of damage one after another, and report about it in the log

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7998 on: August 10, 2016, 06:44:56 PM »
The difficult part is to process more than one damage source. Like 50/50 light and physical, or 33/33/33 fire/air/darkness. Meaning:
- attack, defense and damage parts calculated as usual, without changing anything
- then damage output is divided equally between all sources attributes, like 50/50 for fire/air
- check for absorption and resistance for elemental parts, individually
- for those that were not absorbed or resisted checks for elemental multipliers, I mean those inside the get_attributes_multiplier function, individually too
- after calculations, deal all types of damage one after another, and report about it in the log

Doesn't it already work this way? I finished first working version of multistrike...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7999 on: August 10, 2016, 07:43:57 PM »
Fights at high level look redicoulous because everything is dodged. Whatever you did with spells, high level spells seem to damage opfor, even if no such thing is reported.
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8000 on: August 10, 2016, 08:34:47 PM »
Good.. only got base low poly game model early this morning and now its ready to use up to HD.. :D ( meaning my templates woks fine.. )

Another stripper test..

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:39:22 PM by lamoli »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8001 on: August 11, 2016, 04:28:47 AM »
This is great!

===>>
Another thing that's great: All animations are fixed with the new Ren'Py upgrade. I am going to look into what happened to alignments and boarders but chances are that those are mistakes at our end. After that's done and ZeroDev error is fixed, everything will work again.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8002 on: August 11, 2016, 04:46:22 AM »
Fights at high level look redicoulous because everything is dodged. Whatever you did with spells, high level spells seem to damage opfor, even if no such thing is reported.

Damage is reported, even though report also states that spell was reflected...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8003 on: August 11, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »
Fights at high level look redicoulous because everything is dodged. 
Damage is reported, even though report also states that spell was reflected...

Ok, characters, traits and items now have evasion and resistance stats. They are pure chances of success, so we should be careful about giving big bonuses to them. This is also true for BE testing mod, where you give insanely huge bonuses to ALL stats including these two,making the chances to dodge and resist 100%.

Dodging can be prevented by making critical hit (based on pure luck, 35% with max possible luck), but successful dodging prevents any damage. Resistance cannot be prevented (maybe later, after the release, it will be different), but if successful it only changes initial damage multiplier from 1.0 to 0.65, removing 1/3 of spell damage. All elemental bonuses still work as usual though.

high level spells seem to damage opfor, even if no such thing is reported.
Opfor?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:57:27 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8004 on: August 11, 2016, 09:28:34 AM »
Opfor?

An opposing force (abbreviated OPFOR, used in the United States and Australia) or enemy force (used in Canada) is a military unit tasked with representing an enemy, usually for training purposes in war game scenarios.

It's used a lot in online military team shooters I used to play back in the day...

===>>
I forgot about your warning... this needs to be considered in leveling up function. Do we want those stats to be hidden btw?

Please check out the multi strike attack and tell me what you think, it may be sensible to randomize timings a little bit and/or allow overlaps between the animation instead of running them in a sequence of equal intervals. I also need to adjust dodging animation to conform with the timing of the attacks, that shouldn't be hard thought and will take 5 min max (I hope).

Then attacks would have to be redefined, I want to get rid of all old definitions anyway.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8005 on: August 11, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »
Yeah, I've updated leveling up func, it's used in the game so it's not only for testing, it's good that we found this bug early on.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8006 on: August 11, 2016, 10:01:33 AM »
As far as I know, they are excluded from usual leveling process. I used luck as example when added them, so they work in the same way as luck except the range part, they can be from -100 to 100%. Negative values are available because some traits or items may reduce the chance.

However, it's probably possible to set them via character data file. I dunno if it should be prevented or not, but they easily can be used for "cheating" if you set them to 100.

I already show them everywhere at profile and equipment screens, except the MC screen, because there is no place for them there. I think the blue polygon in MC profile should be replaced with a list of battle stats, because we have too many of them now to show via polygons.

The multistrike looks great. It makes sense to add support for overlapping, although as a optional thing, because it probably will look good only for skills with many hits (>5).

Btw ideally resistance shield animation should be tied to the spell length, and be shown as long as spell animation goes on.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:03:59 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8007 on: August 11, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
Btw ideally resistance shield animation should be tied to the spell length, and be shown as long as spell animation goes on.

Already works this way, doesn't it? You can clearly see that when you're using spells of fast/long duration.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8008 on: August 11, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
It's used a lot in online military team shooters I used to play back in the day...
Ohhhkey, the meaning of the sentence still evades me. Some spells damage enemies without reporting in the log or what?

Already works this way, doesn't it? You can clearly see that when you're using spells of fast/long duration.
I mean spells like fireball, the shield begins to work immediately, not when the fire ball comes into contact with the target. Not a big deal, of course.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8009 on: August 11, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »
Ohhhkey, the meaning of the sentence still evades me. Some spells damage enemies without reporting in the log or what?

screen shots

Deflected and damage. I mean, we don't have a concept for this so there is no way for me to know if it's ok? Like only a part of the damage was reflected or something. I've seen opfor (enemies) die many times after they "deflect" the attack.

I mean spells like fireball, the shield begins to work immediately, not when the fire ball comes into contact with the target. Not a big deal, of course.

Right... gonna take a look, not sure if it is possible to handle that this way without fuss but it might be, I tried to code the BE as sensible as I could.
Like what we're doing?