devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821602 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8025 on: August 11, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
I thought about adding waiting option that restores vitality.

Simple, effective and doesn't require almost any core rewrite at all... I like it :)
AI is still sh!t and needs to be improved but your idea would solve any possible recursion errors.

Edit:
We can actually rename skip to wait and have it restore Vp! There should be no case in which combatant would not want VP restored.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:56:50 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8026 on: August 11, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
Pushed fire based skill. Since it has ranged and fire attributes, it should do 50/50 physical/fire damage. It's not atm. Your turn  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8027 on: August 11, 2016, 06:31:36 PM »
Pushed fire based skill. Since it has ranged and fire attributes, it should do 50/50 physical/fire damage. It's not atm. Your turn  :)

This is prolly more complicated that I can handle this late at night. Still doing the multi-attack thing, improving BE as I go.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8028 on: August 11, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
Just pushed new skills based off multi attack, some decent improvements there:

- We now prevent two same image flips in a row.
- Timings can overlap a little bit.
- Interval and amount of times can be set in the definition of the skill.
- Default gfx timings are now more sensible.
- More appropriate random offsets (I don't fully understand UDD placing ATL at the moment).

===>>
Going to look into shield timings for P2P attacks next.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8029 on: August 11, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »
Going to look into shield timings for P2P attacks next.

I think it's working. Just for fireball, same thing needs to be added to other similar spells in definitions. Thing is... I am not sure that current approach is ok :( It's not dodging, dodging assumes that attack misses the target, number assumptions is being made there, like that target cannot die from an attack that was dodged.

Going to adjust timings for dodging multi-strikes (which is easier) and call it a night.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8030 on: August 11, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
There should be spells that cannot be avoided at all, like 8th level once ( at times with unique animations)... Tornado for once looks really off if someone is shielded but still died at the end while there is another enemy on the team that gets blown away.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8031 on: August 12, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
Yeah, I thought about adding unavoidable skills and spells too.

I'll add "physical" attribute to the Solar Incision skill with the next push. We should stop to use melee and ranged as damage source, so when you will code that fire/physical 50/50, use the physical attribute for checks, not ranged/melee.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8032 on: August 12, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »
I want to show a webm twice or more in the row. How could it be done without making a new webm?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8033 on: August 12, 2016, 07:50:13 AM »
Ok, I managed to sneak in a bit of work straitening out the interface, just to see what's up there. As expected, some forced offsets and alignments that I had to add are no longer required. One remains and I am not sure if we should report it as a bug cause we can make everything look great again and code will be much simpler too...

Rest of gui will wait cause I want to get under the cover of BE next. It's gonna be tough so lets brainstorm a little bit about what we want the system to do and how, there are too many options like:

- Armor/Equipped Items/Weapons damage/defence mods.
- Using (some) Items in Combat.
- Breakers (stacked damage under specific conditions, like Fire Weapon + Fire Alignment + Enemies Water Alignment + Critical Strike, for one example...).
- Skills that cannot be Dodged or Evaded.
- Buffs (This one is a bit difficult cause I am not sure what a good (coding) strategy to buff is... but I do have ideas and if we want it now, we need to talk about it as well).
- Other?

===>>
I'll be back in a couple of hours, maybe some other options come to mind, those are options, not saying everything has to be done right away.

+ What we talked about:

- Calculate all attack types for physical and magical damages
- Go over the code, try to make sure it's clean and not repetitive if possible
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8034 on: August 12, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »
I want to show a webm twice or more in the row. How could it be done without making a new webm?

Pff... You can either do a looped (endlessly) version or show once version. Actually, "show once" version is my code expansion of the looped version... Ren'Py only does the looped version... I'll take a looksie at this, but you can prolly do something like:

image show_twice:
    webm
    pause 1.2 # (Duration of the webm)
    webm
    pause 1.2
    Null() # Not really required...

it might work. I'll look into if we can specify amount of loops...

I got to go now, be back in a couple of hours, I'll push gui changes made to part of char profile and list screens.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8035 on: August 12, 2016, 09:21:25 AM »
Nope, it either shows webm only once or immediately CTD depending on approach  :D

Something has to be done about Mudslide spell. It looks terrible at the upper edge.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:35:58 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8036 on: August 12, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »
From now on any skill/spell that has "inevitable" attribute cannot be dodged or deflected. I added it to all highest spells.

I think it's working. Just for fireball, same thing needs to be added to other similar spells in definitions.
Done, works very well for some non P2P animations too.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8037 on: August 12, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
Odd phrasing... I'd call it unavoidable or unstoppable. Maybe inescapable...

It sounds like it must happen now, not that it cannot be dodged/deflected. What do you think on logical front? My post prior to webm?

I am going to look into webm now, see if it's possible to get more control over.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8038 on: August 12, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »
Something has to be done about Mudslide spell. It looks terrible at the upper edge.

It's not us? It's the animation itself... we can maybe put it in some weird round container but doing something else is prolly much simpler.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8039 on: August 12, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »
LoL

It took me half an hour to figure out what I did in the first place to get it (webm) to loop once :D Apparently it was just changing one single line in the definition...

I'll try to do one thing, if it doesn't work, it's not worth wasting time on, PyTom can prolly do it if we ask cause it sounds like a very appropriate feature for the engine.
Like what we're doing?