devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821606 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8460 on: September 16, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »
I don't think I'll need something else coded for BE until the beta. All that remains is to tie a dozen webms to attacks and then attacks to weapons.

You, however, wanted to code a function for magic shield of some kind instead of the resistance stat.

Yeah, I am planning a codding run for both games tomorrow if time permits. Gonna try to write better AI and the shield skill + Esper mechanics for BR.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8461 on: September 16, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »
I added some time ago Slave_BE_AI part, it's for slaves characters involved in BE but not allowed to fight. You probably could allow them to use healing spells.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8462 on: September 16, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »
I added some time ago Slave_BE_AI part, it's for slaves characters involved in BE but not allowed to fight. You probably could allow them to use healing spells.

I'll prolly do some inheritance thing... there is a bunch to think about when writing this bit cause it'll be used a lot and I'd avoid adding too much overhead from BE in next day calculations.

(so if possible, I want a complex version we'll be expanding for a long, long time and a simple, dummy version for logical fighting).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8463 on: September 17, 2016, 05:27:48 AM »
A VN writer contacted me and proposed a (better) short story for the hidden village. I'll need a bit better matrix though to make areas disappear when there is nothing inside instead of doing something with them every time they are not needed. Here's the issue.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8464 on: September 17, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »
Can you confirm point 1)? It should have been fixed! I am like 99.99% sure of that :D

Two/three are obviously doable but you might now be able to update matrix "in real time" anymore because we'll have to manage the data internally.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8465 on: September 17, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
Take a look at Emerald Arrow skill in my last push. It's absolutely screwed for no apparent reason. My guess is ArrowsSkill doesn't support webms properly (which is weird, since P2P attack works as usual).

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8466 on: September 17, 2016, 08:30:40 AM »
Can you confirm point 1)? It should have been fixed! I am like 99.99% sure of that :D
Hm. Yeah, you right. The last time I used matrix it wasn't fixed, but not anymore. Guess some sneaky push changed it  :)

Two/three are obviously doable but you might now be able to update matrix "in real time" anymore because we'll have to manage the data internally.
I figured it will be easier in terms of code to hide/show areas while the matrix in question is not active, but in fact it doesn't matter if areas will appear/disappear in real time or not.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:33:55 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8467 on: September 17, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
Hm. Yeah, you right. The last time I used matrix it wasn't fixed, but not anymore. Guess some sneaky push changed it  :)

You've asked my to fix that when you were still working on it and I have, you prolly forget since we're working like in 10 different directions with the game..

I figured it will be easier in terms of code to hide/show areas while the matrix in question is not active, but in fact it doesn't matter if areas will appear/disappear in real time or not.

Oki, I'll write a controller class or something along those lines.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8468 on: September 17, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
Take a look at Emerald Arrow skill in my last push. It's absolutely screwed for no apparent reason. My guess is ArrowsSkill doesn't support webms properly (which is weird, since P2P attack works as usual).

I've missed this post. I should work because we're not passing it through a render like last time so it should be free to do whatever the heck it wants.

Edit:
Yeah.. talk about messed up... I don't even know where to begin investigation...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:53:18 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8469 on: September 17, 2016, 08:55:01 AM »
It works differently on the top and bottom goblins in the testing mode. So it's clearly something in the code.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8470 on: September 17, 2016, 08:55:47 AM »
It works differently on the top and bottom goblins in the testing mode. So it's clearly something in the code.

Actually... first thing that came to mind are the definitions, let me try something...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8471 on: September 17, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »
Actually... first thing that came to mind are the definitions, let me try something...

Yeap! I was right! Check my push, I tried making fixing it funny :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8472 on: September 17, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
Ok.. so are we in a hurry with polygon mapping update? Or should i get cracking on BE's TODO list?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8473 on: September 17, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
No, we are not in a hurry. There is enough stuff for me to do as it is.

So, webm channels could have any names, huh. You always used main_gfx_attacks, I figured it's a must have.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:34:06 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8474 on: September 17, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »
So, webm channels could have any names, huh. You always used main_gfx_attacks, I figured it's a must have.

Yeah, any name but the thing is that renpy can play only one track per channel properly (unless it's "audio" channel, which is special and can be used to play any amount of sound tracks simultaneously). So main_gfx_channel is fine as long as it's the main gfx attack which we seem to never run more that one of. If you're making gfx for sprite damage or defense, you can make up channel names like "defence", "you_shall_not_pass", "OUCH" and etc. :D

If we play movies at the same time but on different channels, it should work much better.

Edit: Ren'Py will keep the channels, I don't think it gets rid of them over time. They are really light weight but you might want to standardize their name somehow. If you have some effects that gotta be played "per target" like damage or main gfx animations and they don't work, we'll have to define them three times on a channel with default name + target index. I'll make sure that it is anticipated in code but this may not be required (so it needs testing).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:29:29 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?