Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821800 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8505 on: October 02, 2016, 12:50:57 PM »
Unpack the tags instead of passing the list:

i.has_image(has_tags) ==> i.has_image(*has_tags)
Nice, works great. It will help to pick better chars for specific locations such as swimming pool, where we definitely don't need those who don't even have pics with swimsuits.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8506 on: October 02, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »
Nice, works great. It will help to pick better chars for specific locations such as swimming pool, where we definitely don't need those who don't even have pics with swimsuits.

So it's an expansion for gm module? Or global function of some sorts?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8507 on: October 02, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »
It's an update for the function which selects characters for locations during GMs. Even though the whole GM/interactions system will be rewritten after 1.0 according to an issue, it felt wrong to leave it without such an option.

I suppose it could hit performance when there are many chars to pick from, but I didn't noticed any changes in loading times after adding it to a new location.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8508 on: October 02, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »
It's an update for the function which selects characters for locations during GMs. Even though the whole GM/interactions system will be rewritten after 1.0 according to an issue, it felt wrong to leave it without such an option.

I suppose it could hit performance when there are many chars to pick from, but I didn't noticed any changes in loading times after adding it to a new location.

I thought so. Not exactly "rewritten", it will be merged and made whole, code will also be cleaned up. Possibly right after beta release. I am planning to spend a couple of weeks just on the code review, future development might not be possible without that, codebase is getting far to large and it is organized poorly.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8509 on: October 02, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
New Nika btw, way prettier than the old Nika :D

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8510 on: October 02, 2016, 03:59:26 PM »
Is she a main character there?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8511 on: October 02, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »
Yeap. Female MC is also not what I would have chosen but she's cute.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8512 on: October 02, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »
New status overlay is in for the be (like for poison skill)... isn't much but it's working. Gonna try to wrap out new defence buff skill soon, it'll go there as well.
Like what we're doing?

TheGho7t

« Reply #8513 on: October 03, 2016, 02:45:41 AM »
I might be stupid here so I'm sorry if that is the case but:

Is there any way I can PLAY the repository? I tried many times rearranging the files with the Alpha, I assume it's not playable unless I do some fancy thing I wasn't aware of.

Thanks and great job with the game all around!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8514 on: October 03, 2016, 05:41:28 AM »
Repo is not setup as a game so not really.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8515 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
You use use top_stripe(True) to show the upper menu on screens. I wonder if there is a way to hide it when needed without hiding the whole screen.

We now have a minor skill, swimming, which will be used for water events  :)
In theory only MC should have it since it's useless for chars, but the game does not support different sets of skills.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:24:15 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8516 on: October 03, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
You use use top_stripe(True) to show the upper menu on screens. I wonder if there is a way to hide it when needed without hiding the whole screen.

Pff... possibly. I'll have to cook up a function. We usually hide the strip when we want to prevent saving, you can also add parameter to the "master" screen and condition strip off it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8517 on: October 03, 2016, 10:21:39 PM »
Oh man... finally wrapped up alpha version of the defence buff class. I've used "restore/heal" graphics for it and there could be bugs. Please add some appropriate gfx/sfx when you have time. We might also want to add a couple more of these skills, maybe for other stuff as well.

It's code is all over the place but it doesn't feel "messy" anymore... it turned out better/cleaner than I originally thought at any rate.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8518 on: October 04, 2016, 01:15:04 AM »
I know it's something we rejected in the past, but how about we make status/revive/restore types elements bound as well? It will make interface more consistent and will prolly feel ok...

Edit: I need to add extra checks for spells that move sprites on damage gfx, like tornado. It doesn't look good when the shield stays and sprite flies away... also status overlay icons should be locked into place and disappear when attack sequence starts. Gonna look into this later today.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:01:41 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8519 on: October 04, 2016, 05:10:08 AM »
Pff... possibly. I'll have to cook up a function. We usually hide the strip when we want to prevent saving, you can also add parameter to the "master" screen and condition strip off it.
In some cases it's possible to interrupt, and thus break forever, events by using the top menu at the wrong time. Naturally, it won't happen if you always switch to another screen when doing anything unusual (like I do now, after finding out about the issue).

I know it's something we rejected in the past, but how about we ma ke status/revive/restore types elements bound as well? It will make interface more consistent and will prolly feel ok...
That's almost how it's done in D&D games, they have so called positive energy which heals alive creatures.

Our healing already works like an element, with traits and immunities supported. It just has negative "damage" resulting in healing the target. Gui is pretty much the only thing that will change if there will be an official healing element, so why not.

Btw I wonder how hypothetical Healing Absorption trait will work, in theory it should decrease the target health during healing  :)