Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821701 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8520 on: October 04, 2016, 08:31:07 AM »
We might also want to add a couple more of these skills, maybe for other stuff as well.
Based on available animations, there could be elemental based shields. At very least fire, ice and wind, possibly more.

That reminds me of some spells from D&D, where elemental shields absorb the corresponding elemental damage and also damage attackers in close combat with this element.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8521 on: October 04, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
In some cases it's possible to interrupt, and thus break forever, events by using the top menu at the wrong time. Naturally, it won't happen if you always switch to another screen when doing anything unusual (like I do now, after finding out about the issue).

But why can't you just hide the overlay screen and show it without the top stripe??? I don't feel much like trying to access screens args and flipping the variable it is conditioned of.

That's almost how it's done in D&D games, they have so called positive energy which heals alive creatures.

Our healing already works like an element, with traits and immunities supported. It just has negative "damage" resulting in healing the target. Gui is pretty much the only thing that will change if there will be an official healing element, so why not.

Oki, I'll rewrite sorting mech. We might also introduce different types of healing, like Light/Water/Wind based or some stuff like that. Or maybe even "Life Drain" for Darkness.

Btw I wonder how hypothetical Healing Absorption trait will work, in theory it should decrease the target health during healing  :)

I think absorption is blocked there, but I am not sure.

Based on available animations, there could be elemental based shields. At very least fire, ice and wind, possibly more.

That reminds me of some spells from D&D, where elemental shields absorb the corresponding elemental damage and also damage attackers in close combat with this element.

Maybe... but prolly after Beta, we have enough on the plate as it is.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8522 on: October 04, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Oki, I'll rewrite sorting mech. We might also introduce different types of healing, like Light/Water/Wind based or some stuff like that. Or maybe even "Life Drain" for Darkness.

It's prolly done. Poison Rune appears under ME spells because there is no good way of sorting it out, that scenario should not be possible under normal gameplay because it will always be sent to attack skills if it is weapon bound.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8523 on: October 04, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
At the swimming pool location I switch between screens via
    use location_actions("swimming_pool")
    $ img_swim_pool = ProportionalScale("content/gfx/interface/icons/sp_swimming.png", 90, 90)
    imagebutton:
        pos(290, 510)
        idle (img_swim_pool)
        hover (im.MatrixColor(img_swim_pool, im.matrix.brightness(0.15)))
        action [Hide("swimming_pool"), Show("swimmong_pool_swim")]
            button:
                xysize (240, 40)
                yalign 0.5
                action [Hide("swimmong_pool_swim"), Show("swimming_pool")]
                text "Leave" size 15
It however works without dissolve, so doesn't work very good. It there a way to include dissolve?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8524 on: October 04, 2016, 11:20:29 AM »
At the swimming pool location I switch between screens viaIt however works without dissolve, so doesn't work very good. It there a way to include dissolve?

Code: [Select]
action [Hide("swimming_pool"), Show("swimmong_pool_swim"), With(dissolve)]
Same when hiding. Possibly a better option is to ATL the screen itself if it's unique, like adding:

at fade_in_out(t1=0.6, t2=0.3)
To the screen, I like the ATL thing better than dissolve transition but it's a matter of personal preference. Also there seems to be a background missing cause I get errors in the pool.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8525 on: October 04, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
But why can't you just hide the overlay screen and show it without the top stripe??? I don't feel much like trying to access screens args and flipping the variable it is conditioned of.
I thought it's a simple thing, since renpy was developed for screens manipulations  :D
Naturally, we can live without it just fine.

It's hard to imagine the logic of tying healing to different elements. I mean, we could use different types of healing, like insta heal, regeneration over time, life drain, converting mp/vitality to health, etc.
And then give them name related to other elements, like Healing Wind.

But actually tie the said Healing Wind to wind element? How?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8526 on: October 04, 2016, 11:36:53 AM »
But actually tie the said Healing Wind to wind element? How?

Expand calculations, if caster is a wind mage, healing spell is stronger!

I am worried about spell/skill imbalances... And Buff is now "fixed", feels like there should be a "caster" bonus in it. We'll have to set some time aside to balance everything in terms of cost and power and menupos before release.

We'll also prolly need more flags with skills, those will be needed for writing algorithms when building NPC warriors of all sorts. Same prolly for items but we have a lot of flags there so it might be ok.

I think that overlay screen is not also fixed, gonna test and push if all is well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8527 on: October 04, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »
Yeah! Looks great :)

Last two things for tonight are taking down your matrix issue and making sure shield is not shown for skills that intensely f*ck with sprites, I think that we only have Tornado like that at the moment.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8528 on: October 04, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »
And something is to be said about finding icons for all elements and delivery types... images that we use completely outshine unicode that we use.

I thought it's a simple thing, since renpy was developed for screens manipulations  :D
Naturally, we can live without it just fine.

But it is a simple thing, you just hide the screen and show it again providing different params. You can even stuff that into a func. It's a bit messy to access screens namespace as you suggest.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8529 on: October 04, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »
Also there seems to be a background missing cause I get errors in the pool.
I just fixed a narrator line available only for swimming =>100 which caused crashes, but other than that, everything is stable in the pool. I suppose force recompile is needed.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8530 on: October 04, 2016, 12:05:01 PM »
Oki, I'll check again + I didn't have your last push.

Is there a scenario when you might want the random area inside of the polymatrix screen? Or just outside of it?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8531 on: October 04, 2016, 12:08:58 PM »
Excuse me? How is it possible to have a matrix area, no matter if random or not, outside of the matrix screen?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8532 on: October 04, 2016, 12:11:44 PM »
everything is stable in the pool. I suppose force recompile is needed.

label swimming_pool:
    scene bg pool_inside

I've mentioned this before a couple of times, game expects image to be named after the label or this default behavior to be overridden when calling interactions. Girlsmeets are f*cked, so that was the error... renaming the image is prolly simpler.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8533 on: October 04, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
Excuse me? How is it possible to have a matrix area, no matter if random or not, outside of the matrix screen?

I've just coded it as a separate screen... you basically provide a name and a size for the rect as screen arguments. But you obviously also want to in the matrix for I'll throw it in there as well. There is no point to add this random element into the JSON file, it should be handled in script.

It may also require a function so the area doesn't "jump" around... which reminds me, do we want this area to jump around every time screen is activated or should it's position be randomized just once?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8534 on: October 04, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »
re a couple of times, game expects image to be named after the label or this default behavior to be overridden when calling interactions. Girlsmeets are f*cked, so that was the error... renaming the image is prolly simpler.
This limitation will bite us in the future if we'll have multiple bgs for the very same location depending on the time (morning/day/evening/night).

I've just coded it as a separate screen... you basically provide a name and a size for the rect as screen arguments. But you obviously also want to in the matrix for I'll throw it in there as well. There is no point to add this random element into the JSON file, it should be handled in script.
Ohhkey, as long as it works just like a normal matrix but with one or more randomly placed areas, it's fine by me.
I don't need it for a normal matrix.

It may also require a function so the area doesn't "jump" around... which reminds me, do we want this area to jump around every time screen is activated or should it's position be randomized just once?
Well... I want to use it to randomly hide items and events. It means that after you found an item or an event, the area should no longer be there at least until the next day.