Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821291 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8820 on: November 04, 2016, 06:18:49 AM »
Yeah, after last pushes made by picobyte.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8821 on: November 04, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
Hold on, it's not the only one. We need to doc out basic dev guidelines somewhere, it's been a while since someone pushed new code outside of our usual motley crew :D

I think there is a good way to handle those screen, I just need to clear ctds before testing it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8822 on: November 04, 2016, 06:34:43 AM »
Good thing I finished the diving before pulling the last changes.
Once CTDs are over, I will be able to starting working on MC setups...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8823 on: November 04, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
You'll have to diff testing.rpy again. Diving loop is more sensible now, might need more testing... Also I noticed that you're just hero.AP -= 1 everywhere which can force it to go below 0, I think we should have something like if hero.take_ap(1): ... else... somewhere. Or it can be intercepted on button level (like making buttons insensitive if AP or vit are too low). Wood buttons looks out of place there btw, did you use them o purpose or because it was the first style you saw? :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8824 on: November 04, 2016, 08:54:38 AM »
I usually check if AP > 0 before even giving access to the part where hero.AP -= 1, I just didn't added it there yet.

And it's not like we have dozens buttons styles to choose from. You use them everywhere, and so do I.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:14:34 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8825 on: November 04, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
I usually check if AP > 0 before even giving access to the part where hero.AP -= 1, I just didn't added it there yet.

Oki.

And it's not like we have dozens buttons styles to choose from. You them everywhere, and so do I.

We have at least a dozen but it can be improved at any time.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8826 on: November 04, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »

First, welcome to the forums/project!

Second, when you push/create pull requests, try to make sure that game can run with them. Also, we're all using testing.rpy files that are not version controlled in order to setup our own testing scenarios for whatever we're working on at that point. Those files assume that Characters, Buildings, Items, Traits, Businesses and Battle Skills can be instantiated outside of loading function so every time you change loading routines (like changing the way adverts are loaded or changing data structure you're loading them from), stuff in testing file breaks down. It's ok to mess with that stuff in order to improve it, but please post changes relevant to creating/setting up those objects to the forum so it's easier to adjust without going over all the commits.

I've left this as a comment to the last pull request, but you must accept invitation to a project before you can push to it directly.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8827 on: November 04, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »
I searched for all style_groupes and tried them one by one. Only 3 can be used for buttons: the wooden one, the one we have in main menu and the one we have in interactions. The one from main menu is wooden too, and the one from interactions is not the best option even for interactions.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8828 on: November 04, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
I need to clean up and make testing screen for styles, like we have for fonts... prolly after beta.
Like what we're doing?

Offline picobyte

« Reply #8829 on: November 04, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
Did you get this error?
Code: [Select]
While running game code:
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 1, in script
    init -999 python:
  File "game/library/initialization.rpy", line 29, in <module>
    import jsonschema
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'game/python-packages/jsonschema\\schemas/draft3.json'

Sorry, I think I know where it went wrong. The jsonschema validates schemas you present it with a draft jsonschema, but the path seperators I used were os specific. I'll fix it.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 06:33:08 AM by picobyte »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8830 on: November 04, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »
I don't understand the logic behind so called "classes" at the mc setup screen. Most likely it's incompatible with the current concept. I'll just ignore it and disable parts of the code which cause CTDs because of that.

Offline picobyte

« Reply #8831 on: November 04, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
Second, when you push/create pull requests, try to make sure that game can run with them.

I do. In this case it worked for me, Linux.
Renpy does funny things with paths and I fixed it badly when I tried to get the jsonschema module working, sorry. The bug got exposed for you (not me) when I moved the import jsonschema outside the class.

Also, we're all using testing.rpy files that are not version controlled in order to setup our own testing scenarios for whatever we're working on at that point. Those files assume that Characters, Buildings, Items, Traits, Businesses and Battle Skills can be instantiated outside of loading function so every time you change loading routines (like changing the way adverts are loaded or changing data structure you're loading them from), stuff in testing file breaks down. It's ok to mess with that stuff in order to improve it, but please post changes relevant to creating/setting up those objects to the forum so it's easier to adjust without going over all the commits.

ok, do not change, or rarely, how stuff is loaded, and at least report changes. got it.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8832 on: November 04, 2016, 05:29:07 PM »
ok, do not change, or rarely, how stuff is loaded, and at least report changes. got it.
This is our default testing file, which Xela updates every time something is changed to make sure the game can work in the dev mode despite having unfinished parts here and there.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8833 on: November 04, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »
I need to know how to set base classes for MC, since they are more than just traits. At first I tried the "classes" at the setup screen, but it brought nothing but CTDs.

Finished one warrior branch at the setup screen, it's pretty fun  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8834 on: November 04, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »
I do. In this case it worked for me, Linux.
Renpy does funny things with paths and I fixed it badly when I tried to get the jsonschema module working, sorry. The bug got exposed for you (not me) when I moved the import jsonschema outside the class.

Yeah... we've had four different programmers messing with file access... truth is that renpy's list_files and renpy.file are the best and safest ways, and the only ways that will work reliably may we ever decide to release for android/ios. There are like two or three path normalizations we have but don't really need.

More like: Change but post about what you've done if you changes the way stuff get instantiated/loaded :)

which Xela updates every time something is changed to make sure the game can work in the dev mode despite having unfinished parts here and there.

Actually, game works even outside of devmode. Those files were created when Thewlis kept rewriting my testing routines in order to test out his ST module. It worked out well in the end, everyone could have their own test setups.

I don't understand the logic behind so called "classes" at the mc setup screen. Most likely it's incompatible with the current concept. I'll just ignore it and disable parts of the code which cause CTDs because of that.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by classes. Gonna take a look at it tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?