devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821262 times)

Offline picobyte

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8850 on: November 05, 2016, 08:53:28 PM »
I just pushed, all seemed okish in wine (windows emulator), except that I added one commit which changes the screen tag displayed in the dev menu to a button to open at the screen or label in your editor. Does this work for you? In Linux it works, in wine it did not entirely. If not it should just display as previously. it was displayed however as button, but the link did not resolve. But just maybe this is just wine?

Also I added an issue

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8851 on: November 06, 2016, 01:46:15 AM »
I pushed a fix for your changes. You checked wrong folders names, as a result the game stopped seeing my packs.

default prereqs = exist(["content/chars/", "content/rchars/"])
not
default prereqs = exist(["content/char/", "content/rchar/"])

I added one commit which changes the screen tag displayed in the dev menu to a button to open at the screen or label in your editor. Does this work for you? In Linux it works, in wine it did not entirely. If not it should just display as previously. it was displayed however as button, but the link did not resolve. But just maybe this is just wine?
Yep, works perfectly. That's an awesome option  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:57:10 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8852 on: November 06, 2016, 01:15:29 AM »
preferable at least add one character and one random character to the repo.
I can add a few really small packs. But I have no idea how to make git extensions stop ignoring a certain folder in the chars folder. I tried a few things in the gitignore file, they didn't worked.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8853 on: November 06, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »
Also I added an issue

I can add a few really small packs. But I have no idea how to make git extensions stop ignoring a certain folder in the chars folder. I tried a few things in the gitignore file, they didn't worked.

Guys... come on, this is not even remotely useful. Anyone who seriously wanted to help with development so far figured it out or asked us for instructions. Noone is bloody likely to develop with one character, it's confusing as f*ck cause all chars in the game look the same and it's boring. If either of you feels like action here is needed, write a comprehensive guide on how to clone the game from the git repo for some specific software (like GitExtension which we use) and install packs. We had one such guide in the past.

So please don't add base chars or generate dummy chars, if you must: use renpys internal function to check is chars/rchars folders exist and throw a very clear clear Exception that packs which can be downloaded from our forums are required but please don't complicate the code with useless bloat, we change stuff all the time through relentless refactoring of old code and as logic/design updates, the more code you need to go through to refactor something, the more time it takes and we've been developing for little over four years, admittedly with breaks and times where we were able to spend just 15 mins per day on the project but we've established our own way in this time which works and work well for us.

Time would be much better spent documenting, refactoring, advancing logic, fixing parts of interface that broke down on last renpy update (mostly "stats" style group which I rewrote as "proper_stats", but there are other issues) and so on.

I'll be traveling most of the next week, so it'll be mostly android and minor coding on laptop...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8854 on: November 06, 2016, 01:48:20 AM »
Guys... come on, this is not even remotely useful. Anyone who seriously wanted to help with development so far figured it out or asked us for instructions.
True. But we gonna release the game with default packs anyway, it won't be 100% empty. Might as well add them to repo. For example, the village will cause ctds without naruto chars.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:01:51 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8855 on: November 06, 2016, 02:14:20 AM »
True. But we gonna release the game with default packs anyway, it won't be 100% empty. Might as well add them to repo. For example, the village will cause ctds without naruto chars.

Yeah, but we discussed it and made a decision not to so everyone could have their own characters base, so repo is not bloated, so there are no copyrighted images on the open rep (remember two mega accounts of mine that they banned due to that, they kept plaguing me with emails long after the fact because account could not be deleted and whatever the method they used to check, kept finding new violations).

Edit:
You can condition your events/quests btw, to make sure village code doesn't run without the pack but I can't see a need for that at this point, it's not like we have 1000 other quest lines to choose from.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:16:13 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8856 on: November 06, 2016, 02:27:01 AM »
they kept plaguing me with emails long after the fact because account could not be deleted and whatever the method they used to check, kept finding new violations
Lol  :D

We probably could wait until lamoli makes a rendered random pack, which won't be affected by copyright.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8857 on: November 06, 2016, 04:31:52 AM »
Lol  :D

We probably could wait until lamoli makes a rendered random pack, which won't be affected by copyright.

Yeap... but it would still not be very useful, I once loaded a game with just one rchar, it was a horrible and confusing gameworld experience   :D

I am a bit unhinged due to minor concerns about recent code addons.

Truth is that out of about 40 people who helped with the project over the years, about 5 were capable coders. What we have left of their code in the game are Eliont's data structure, Thewlis's GM/Interactions/refactored schools, longints sorting functionality, Rudi's tagdb and etc... so all the things that were written to improve the game itself. All peripheral stuff that was added... I had to remove because the moment something we didn't absolutely need started throwing errors and person who knew exactly why was no longer around, took too much time to maintain. So we just ended up throwing it out :( Same with code styling, I try to stick to pep8 (not religiously) but all the personal twerks and preferences in core code that fall outside of those guidelines are usually getting refactored back once people who added them get fed up with working on the project and leave.

but my "unhingement" is more likely due to hectic shit in rl at the moment, so it'll pass in a couple of weeks!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:34:47 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline picobyte

« Reply #8858 on: November 06, 2016, 05:30:32 AM »
I pushed a fix for your changes. You checked wrong folders names, as a result the game stopped seeing my packs.

default prereqs = exist(["content/chars/", "content/rchars/"])
not
default prereqs = exist(["content/char/", "content/rchar/"])
Yep, works perfectly. That's an awesome option  :)

Very strange. I am quire certain I fixed that and comitted it before the push
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:45:46 AM by picobyte »

Offline picobyte

« Reply #8859 on: November 06, 2016, 05:37:29 AM »

Quote from: Picobyte
preferable at least add one character and one random character to the repo.

Guys... come on, this is not even remotely useful. Anyone who seriously wanted to help with development so far figured it out or asked us for instructions.

Ok, I see your point. scrap 3, it was mostly about clarifying the instructions anyway, but maybe the banner when missing is clear enough already.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8860 on: November 06, 2016, 06:06:48 AM »
Ok, I see your point. scrap 3, it was mostly about clarifying the instructions anyway, but maybe the banner when missing is clear enough already.

We had a very, very detailed set of instructions at one point but it got outdated when we moved to GitHub and was never updated... It didn't seem to be useful outside of people who just wanted to sneakpeak at what we've been up to.

I am off (to Android) till this evening/tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 06:16:21 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8861 on: November 06, 2016, 08:21:47 AM »
Speaking of clear code, the way how I make traits affect equipment is not very clean. I keep adding new branches to the equipment process, which means up to 6 additions for every case: max/min/mod for equip and unequip.

It cannot be done by adding some exotic traits fields because effects are too different. But I wonder if there is some another way to do it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8862 on: November 06, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »
What??? I did not understand any of it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8863 on: November 06, 2016, 09:16:39 AM »
Search for "Sword Master" trait in rpys and look how it works.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8864 on: November 06, 2016, 09:25:50 AM »
Search for "Sword Master" trait in rpys and look how it works.

Oki. I will try when I get to laptop. Android sux :-)
Like what we're doing?