Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821238 times)

Offline picobyte

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9210 on: December 27, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
When you do something by yourself, yeah. But when I look at Xela's most advanced code, I feel like I try to read Japanese text -_-

The code is very well structured. I have not gotten to the battle engine of PytFall yet. But in general, for tough code, if you split code up in sensible steps, where every function does one particular thing, then even tough code can be made readable. There can also be abstract steps, understandable only if you know why they are needed; parts of an algorithm to do a something efficiently. Then you need to read a bit about the algorithm being used, to understand the code.

If I'll have to choose between maintaining his BE on my own and writing a simpler one (like that one in Old Huntsman's games), it will be the second option.
It's used to simulate jobs workflow at very least, and possibly for exploration module too - since it's not ready yet, I cannot tell for sure.

I'm not sure what is part of the battle engine, but I guess it's the Arena. It's a bit like mugen, the queen of fighters, mortal combat or tekken. Sorry to say, but not exactly my game preference. I rather like rpg or adventure. Nonetheless I do like the magic/battle effects, but I find the characters during fight currently too static. It would be nice if characters were moving a bit when in rest, like in mugen. Maybe mugen packs could be a resource for this?

Ohhkey, define auto equip then  :D

Because we usually mean auto equipment algorithm.
 Free characters decide on their own what to equip, and player cannot tell them what to equip. In order to do so they have to use autoequip algorithm of some kind, there is no way around  :)

Well I meant the auto equip button in the inventory screen. It uses the auto-equip algorithm. My question is: should it work for free characters? because it seems like a way to circumvent the normal 'hey I decide my own clothing style' response of the free characters.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:12:02 PM by picobyte »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9211 on: December 27, 2016, 02:03:24 PM »
It's a bit like mugen, the queen of fighters, mortal combat or tekken. Sorry to say, but not exactly my game preference. I rather like rpg or adventure. Nonetheless I do like the magic/battle effects, but I find the characters during fight currently too static. It would be nice if characters were moving a bit when in rest, like in mugen. Maybe mugen packs could be a resource for this?
It's a classic turn-based jrpg battle engine. It's not very interesting yet because I'm unable to freely add new unique types of effects - or change existing ones a lot - without Xela due to lack of code understanding. Even Xela admitted that it wasn't easy for him to build the battle engine.

You are welcomed to write mugen-like battle engine though; I don't even know where to start since renpy wasn't developed for making fightings at all.

Well I meant the auto equip button in the inventory screen. It uses the auto-equip algorithm. My question is: should it work for free characters? because it seems like a way to circumvent the normal 'hey I decide my own clothing style' response of the free characters.
No, it shouldn't work for free chars - unless check_lovers(hero, character) is True.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #9212 on: December 28, 2016, 12:58:27 AM »
Xela, there is a small but pesky limitation at the MC setup screen. If the second class is tied to the third choice, ie MC mother, you cannot see it until you pick one of options from the last choice.

Try it now...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9213 on: December 28, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
Yeah, it works flawlessly now.

There is an issue with BE buffs. Turns out if you have multiple spells made via DefenceBuffSpell, they all can be applied at the same time, and each will show its own buff icon above the target. It's super confusing, so either buffs should have slightly different unique icons, or we'll have a system which prevents multiple buffs of the very same kind.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9214 on: December 28, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
There is an issue with BE buffs. Turns out if you have multiple spells made via DefenceBuffSpell, they all can be applied at the same time, and each will show its own buff icon above the target. It's super confusing, so either buffs should have slightly different unique icons, or we'll have a system which prevents multiple buffs of the very same kind.

I added option to add buff_icon argument to the defence buff class (untested).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9215 on: December 29, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
Nope, doesn't work. It shows default one, and if I remove the ProportionalScale("content/gfx/be/fists.png", 30, 30), it throws an error.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9216 on: December 29, 2016, 06:47:12 PM »
Nope, doesn't work. It shows default one, and if I remove the ProportionalScale("content/gfx/be/fists.png", 30, 30), it throws an error.

buff_icon... not icon?

There is a lot of ready to use poker logic available on github.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9217 on: December 30, 2016, 02:12:24 AM »
Yes, it should be buff_icon  :D

There is only one dice poker algorithm for python, and its ai is even simpler than current mine.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:24:51 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9218 on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:47 AM »
Wait a sec... Even the very same DefenceBuffSpell can be applied infinitely. It's insane, at least the very same spell should not stack.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9219 on: December 30, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »
Wait a sec... Even the very same DefenceBuffSpell can be applied infinitely. It's insane, at least the very same spell should not stack.

I'll take a look, if these defense buffs trigger only defense stat itself, we can come up with some form of hierarchy...
Like what we're doing?

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9220 on: December 30, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
As you asked I've added a auto-discard function. It can currently be tested in the equipment screen, for characters or groups. using the Auto discard button (in place of Girls list, i.e right pannel, upper part, center). But I guess this button should probably eventually be removed and the auto_discard could become a next_day (or next_week?) event.

and added to testing.rpy:

for i in chars.values():
            i.gold = 100000000
            i.auto_buy(amount=200)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:22:26 PM by picobyte »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9221 on: December 31, 2016, 04:33:50 AM »
Day is the term we're working with.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9222 on: December 31, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »
Well, after finishing dice minigames I know much more about lists and dicts functions in python  :)

Happy New Year!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9223 on: December 31, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
Like what we're doing?

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9224 on: January 01, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
You too HNY. I added a small mausoleum puzzle, a dungeon crawler to the cemetery. It's very basic at the moment but it could be extended with monsters and a party. I rendered the walls. What do you think?