Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821654 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9420 on: February 08, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
Yeah, that's what I did to make it work: removed all transparency.

However, as far as I understand, renpy cuts two bar images to make a bar, not resizes them. Therefore I don't understand why it cannot cut bars as they are, including all transparency. Since their size is the same., including all transparency.

From the viewpoint of logic, transparent boarders may cause bars to show incorrect value because renpy cuts transparency at first, and we don't see it until it starts to cut visible parts. But not cause double bar.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:46:28 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #9421 on: February 08, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
True, but as I've said, there seems to be different amount of transparent pixels on each side... I have not investigated this too deeply.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9422 on: February 08, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »
You're also forcing the size of render and sides (xysize/im.Scale), which may be another issue (not sure about this one).
Btw I'm using your code from BE bars.

I tried everything, the bug remains as long as empty bar picture uses transparent gray in the center. Once I make it fully transparent, it works as intended - even with different amount of transparent pixels on each side.
I conclude that by default renpy doesn't support partially transparent empty bars pictures. Not a big deal, but good to know in the future.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9423 on: February 09, 2017, 03:46:03 AM »
BE bars are "normal" for Ren'Py. I have no idea about the semi-transparent thing, feels like it should work... but maybe not.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9424 on: February 10, 2017, 05:31:13 AM »
I wonder how well a looped animation will work as a mob sprite.

I bet webm will cause ctd due to damage effects which recolor or replace sprites. But manually animated sprite sheet might have a chance.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9425 on: February 10, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »
I wonder how well a looped animation will work as a mob sprite.

I bet webm will cause ctd due to damage effects which recolor or replace sprites. But manually animated sprite sheet might have a chance.

BR will use our BE and have animated sprites, stuff like damage effects would have to be recoded indeed but there are alternatives to what we use now that should do the same t
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9426 on: February 11, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
Personally, I believe that the project is unwell, so to speak. Starting from November I feel like I'm forcing you to do stuff for the project, while you would prefer to do something else - maybe working on Babe Runner, maybe irl stuff, doesn't matter.

It wouldn't be so bad if for these 3.5 months you didn't make and then break a dozen promises to code stuff, something you never did before. Maybe picobyte noticed it too.

It's somewhat normal for a paid job, when you are not interested in something but still do it for money. But it will end badly for a free project.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9427 on: February 11, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »
Nov/Dec were rl issues. Now I can't seem get on the right track in BR or PyTFall :(

Going to finish porting BE to BR first and work Tiers concept afterwards.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9428 on: February 12, 2017, 03:40:13 AM »
Those countless promises seriously exhausted your credibility. I started to feel myself like a naive idiot after making pushes.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9429 on: February 12, 2017, 06:12:11 AM »
Well, I have no intentions to abandon the project what so ever. I am not sure what you mean by "countless promises" but this is not the first time you "overpace" me in development. For the last couple of month you have been contributing a lot more than anyone else but I did support those effort best I could. Every time you ran into an issue, found a bug or needed something to work just right, I don't believe that I've let you down once and my responses have been very promptly.

The shit I've been dealing with irl is temporary, it's not health or money related, which means that it'll blow over, even if it is taking too long to sort out. I don't think that there is anything I'd rather do that code for PyTFall and BR, but I get so frustrated and tired from dealing with rl shit that just pops up out of nowhere over and over again. I've even started drinking in the evenings because of that, instead of coding which I did in the past.

Look, for me, it's just a bad beat. It'll blow over and everything will get back on track, if you think that there is a risk that your efforts will fall into the void like with hundreds of unfinished games, take a break. I'd hate for you to abandon the project due to frustration with the main coder + unless I meet an untimely demise, there is no version of this that I can foresee where I am abandoning PyTFall.
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #9430 on: February 13, 2017, 02:24:53 AM »
Just to say im still around..

I just dont have time to work on my part atm but intend on doing so when free..
(I dont even have the time to make Velvet from Tales of Barseria since its out on pc and already out as unrigged max model lol and i was waiting on this for a long time..)

And as usual im never able to test out git version ( i always get errors lol )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:29:20 AM by lamoli »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9431 on: February 13, 2017, 03:26:15 AM »
You need to post errors you get, git version is not setup for playing but it is stable for testing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9432 on: February 13, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
For example at some point ~two months ago you even planned to finish all main systems (!) for beta in January - like for 1-2 weeks (!) of hard, focused work. Naturally, I was highly skeptical about it, but at some point such claims in the absence of pushes cannot be taken seriously any longer.

It's fine to be busy with something. But lately I feel like I'm on Patreon, where many devs tend to make promises every week to keep the status quo while delaying actual content.

I personally very rarely make promises, especially time related. Because breaking them decreases disposition level, using the game terms.

Feel free to prove me wrong by coding tiers and converting existing jobs to simpy. Both tasks are up to you anyway.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:38:43 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9433 on: February 13, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
Yeah... never ask devs about their deadlines is a good approach. I did believe that it could be done within those timeframes. Technically, it was possible but reality kicked us in the nuts.

planned to finish all main systems (!)

- All SimPy businesses simulations work.
- BE is in the best shape it's ever been.
- Arena needs minor UI adjustments due to Ren'Py version upgrade but it's logically good to go.
- All profile screens are operational.
- Items logic is even more advanced than planned due to pico's efforts.
- Schools are working, last I checked anyway.
- Events/Quests logic is operating as it should.
- I've fixed a number of bugs in SM, which now also seems to be operational.
- Interactions are gtg for beta.

Those are the main systems.

Now we need a way to manage relative char abilities, expectations and balance. From there we can balance businesses, upgrades, arena, random character generation and everything else. Tiers concept is the only way that I can think of to do that, but details of it's implementation are unclear.

BE port to BR will be finished soon, I'll start writing/pushing tiers code after that, good or bad. There must be a good and intuitive way to implement that, we'll figure it out along the way.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9434 on: February 13, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
- Arena is questionable in both logic and gui. Gui aside, it still uses mostly alpha logic which is highly incompatible with most beta mechanics.
Besides, I'm almost completely sure that creating dozens rchars only to be used as fighters at arena is like to shoot sparrows with a cannon.

- Finance and Friends tabs at the hero screen are afk. Both are small, independent systems.

- SE and simpy-based jobs are not operational, making any characters activity problematic.