Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821515 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9555 on: March 04, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »
I can't find the code where you make buffs icons change alpha all the time. It should be reduced, they do it too much.

Search for:

Code: [Select]
add Text(status_icon) at status_overlay(sv1=.3, ev1=1.0, t1=.9, sv2=1.0, ev2=.3, t2=.9) yalign .5
Increase t1 and t2 values to make alpha change slower. Don't ask me why it's Text()... cause I don't remember :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9556 on: March 04, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
Eventually we could take into account perspective inside BE - the closer characters battle sprites to the camera, the bigger they are, within very moderate limits. Especially if you'll go for UDD rewriting.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9557 on: March 05, 2017, 01:27:20 AM »
Eventually we could take into account perspective inside BE - the closer characters battle sprites to the camera, the bigger they are, within very moderate limits. Especially if you'll go for UDD rewriting.

UDD rewriting is mostly needed to allow more perfectly timed gfx/sfx. We are presently running pause based design which is somewhat inferior. Making sprites bigger is quite simple, but some skills may have to be adjusted.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9558 on: March 05, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »
It's just not such a big deal to spend time on it. But when major BE rewriting will take place, we might as well add this too.

This bar looks nice, I'll try to add it to gifts system...

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9559 on: March 05, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
The dungeon is minimal but has the elements in place to function. Spawn moves and is killed on the first hit, all items on the first level can be picked up but no real inventory hooks yet. They are probably next on the list. What do you think so far?
If you try and get stuck.. there's a button to open the doors.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9560 on: March 06, 2017, 03:44:30 AM »
The dungeon is minimal but has the elements in place to function. Spawn moves and is killed on the first hit, all items on the first level can be picked up but no real inventory hooks yet. They are probably next on the list. What do you think so far?
If you try and get stuck.. there's a button to open the doors.

I'll properly test it next week, maybe go over the code a bit to figure out how difficult it might be to expand in the future. There is an error:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 404, in script
    call screen dungeon_move(hotspots)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 471, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 162, in execute
    screen dungeon_move(hotspots):
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 162, in execute
    screen dungeon_move(hotspots):
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 164, in execute
    for sw in reversed(show):
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 165, in execute
    if isinstance(sw, list):
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 166, in execute
    if sw[2]:
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 194, in execute
    add mco at [sprite_default(xx, yy, xz, yz, rot)]
  File "game/library/screens/dungeon.rpy", line 194, in keywords
    add mco at [sprite_default(xx, yy, xz, yz, rot)]
NameError: name 'yy' is not defined

That keeps popping up near some door I think. Tis been looking good for a while already. I am not sure about using items instead of the chests, looks really good but could be a lot more work.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9561 on: March 06, 2017, 08:25:18 AM »
Yeah, I got this error pretty often too, so it's hard to test the dungeon properly  :)

I feel like sometimes it loads the next step a but slower if there are many objects like barrels. It probably could use some of renpy's image predictions.

Btw you could use show_mc_team_status screen to show team status and provide access to characters inventory, like I did in MD.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:55:02 AM by DarkTl »

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9562 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
I missed one essential line, which was surrounded by commented code I don't want to push. It happens when you run into a mob. Sorry about that. Latest commit should fix it.

Also thanks for the suggestions. appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:03:04 PM by picobyte »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9563 on: March 06, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
Well, first impression is that it's absolutely awesome! I especially loved finding elixir in the wall :D

Level design is really confusing and I didn't get very far cause I want to cook tiers a little bit more tonight but overall, this is a job very well done!

Like what we're doing?

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9564 on: March 06, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
Thanks, great to hear!  :) Also good to see all the changes that are added, and some of the screen captures look really nice.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9565 on: March 06, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
A few doors cannot be opened. If they require a key or something, it's better to inform that they are locked to let the player know it's not a bug... if it's not a bug  :)

Offline picobyte

« Reply #9566 on: March 06, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »
I've added a locked sound for that now. They were closed on purpose, there are buttons to open the doors.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9567 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »
We never expected mobs sprites to be used outside of BE and bestiary. As a result, in many cases sprites resolution is low, since sprites size is rather small in BE. I'm not sure what to do about it, aside from using random encounters instead of patrolling mobs.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9568 on: March 07, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
I suggested something like:

Link

it looks cool and we can't really use mobs cause some mob parties may be mixed. There could also be friendly encounters. Iirc red is used for strong mobs, yellow for normal and green for friendlies.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9569 on: March 07, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
I updated items a bit, specifically replaced low quality icons and removed items that became useless since alpha due to design changes.

Do we keep slaves running away events for beta? Because we have a few items left from the ST attempt which give Restrained trait, it should prevent escaping in theory.