devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived -->  (Read 38762 times)

Offline mijh

<-- Archived -->
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:45:43 AM »
Xela: Repository info has been updated. Full project is now on one module.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I wanted to summarise information on how to grab, talk about, or contribute to PytFall.

Development is currently extremely early on, using git on sourceforge. Currently, it is not guaranteed to be stable at any time :)

Running PytFall

To grab pytfall, you will need to install Git.
Then you will need to download and unzip Renpy.

In your renpy folder, right click somewhere, select "Git Bash", and enter this command:

Code: [Select]
git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/sbpytfall/code sbpytfall-code

This should clone the latest master of PytFall. You can then run Renpy, and select the pytfall game to launch.

To update PytFall, open Git Bash in the pytfall folder and run

git pull

Devloping PytFall

PytFall is developed using two separate git repositories, one for the main game code, and one for the game's content / data.

To submit commits to either, you need to know how to use git and how to set it up properly for sourceforge, as well as have an account there. You'll need to use a different git url to the one shown above to be able to push back to sourceforge.

Here is a video on how to quickly set up git to be able to push to sourceforge, at least for windows.

Atlassian have an awesome git tutorial here. For Windows and Mac they also have an excellent gui, here.

You should ask Xela or Mijh about getting development privileges for the project. You can ask to commit to either repository or both, depending on which side of the project you wish to work on. Otherwise you can always hack on it in the meantime and send us a git pull request.

Currently we aim to have the master branch run the game properly.

Discussing project

Apart from giving thoughts in these forums, if you'd like to get immediate feedback or discuss something in real time, we have a chat channel on OFTC IRC server.

You should mention someone's name or /query them (private msg) to notify them when you talk.

Here is a video on how to set up and connect to IRC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCdolm7PaFU

Hope to see you on #PytFall :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:48:17 AM by Xela »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: -PyTFall- General Information
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 04:01:48 AM »
Nice one, I should add that we also have a dropbox shared folder for submitting content (if anyone wish to help but knows nothing about scripting).
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
Sorry for being such a noob, but renpy keeps throwing really weird errors at me.

My goal: run the game, click "Start Game" and not receive a traceback

My platform: Windows 7 64 bit

What I did:

• installed Git 1.8.1.2
  • unzipped Ren'Py 6.15.4.320
  • cloned the repo using the command provided in the dropbox file
  • implemented two commits in the readability branch
  • pushed those commits
  • changed back  to my local master branch
  • executed "git pull" from the pytfall directory
  • executed "git submodule update" from the pytfall directory
  • deleted all .rpyc files in pytfall folder
If I repeat step 7 now, git pull reports "Already up-to-date". I'm pretty sure my working copy is identical to the latest revision of the master branch in the SF repo. However, when I load the game via "Launch project" in the renpy launcher and when I then click "Start Game" from PytFalls main menu, the game crashes:
While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 2, in script
  File "game/script.rpy", line 7, in python
  File "game/library/functions.rpy", line 24, in python
  File "game/library/functions.rpy", line 81, in python
  File "game/library/common.rpy", line 168, in python
AttributeError: 'Brothel' object has no attribute 'init'

If I then hit "Reload" the game crashes saying:
While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 2, in script call
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - mainscreen.rpy", line 5, in script
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - mainscreen.rpy", line 8, in python
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - mainscreen.rpy", line 16, in python
NameError: name 'calendar' is not defined

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Forgot one step
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:46:52 AM by rudistoned »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:22:21 AM »
Sorry for being such a noob, but renpy keeps throwing really weird errors at me.

My goal: run the game, click "Start Game" and not receive a traceback

My platform: Windows 7 64 bit

What I did:

• installed Git 1.8.1.2
  • unzipped Ren'Py 6.15.4.320
  • cloned the repo using the command provided in the dropbox file
  • implemented two commits in the readability branch
  • pushed those commits
  • changed back  to my local master branch
  • executed "git pull" from the pytfall directory
  • executed "git submodule update" from the pytfall directory
If I repeat step 7 now, git pull reports "Already up-to-date". I'm pretty sure my working copy is identical to the latest revision of the master branch in the SF repo. However, when I load the game via "Launch project" in the renpy launcher and when I then click "Start Game" from PytFalls main menu, the game crashes:
While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 2, in script
  File "game/script.rpy", line 7, in python
  File "game/library/functions.rpy", line 24, in python
  File "game/library/functions.rpy", line 81, in python
  File "game/library/common.rpy", line 168, in python
AttributeError: 'Brothel' object has no attribute 'init'

If I then hit "Reload" the game crashes saying:
While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 2, in script call
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - mainscreen.rpy", line 5, in script
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - mainscreen.rpy", line 8, in python
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - mainscreen.rpy", line 16, in python
NameError: name 'calendar' is not defined

What am I doing wrong?

Not being an expert I can only guess:

1) Still .rpyc files issue.

2) You have not merged origin/master into your local master branch.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
I did delete the rpyc files, but forgot to mention that in my post. Sorry.

AFAIK, the git pull command merges the changes it pulls into the current branch, which was my local master at the time.
When I display the history of my master branch using gitk, the line for the latest revision looks like this:
(yellow dot) - master - remotes/origin/master - Fixed two more bugs

It seems to me the merge was successful.

Any other ideas? I appreciate the help.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
I did delete the rpyc files, but forgot to mention that in my post. Sorry.

AFAIK, the git pull command merges the changes it pulls into the current branch, which was my local master at the time.
When I display the history of my master branch using gitk, the line for the latest revision looks like this:
(yellow dot) - master - remotes/origin/master - Fixed two more bugs

It seems to me the merge was successful.

Any other ideas? I appreciate the help.

I use GUI... When I pull, nothing merges. I have to merge master branch I pulled from origin to my local one to get the changes. Better ask Matt about this...
Like what we're doing?

Offline mijh

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
To be clear, if this directory path exists, you should have successfully cloned the project:

renpy/pytfall/game/content/db

The latest commit as i post is 62a89d1cc623432099c7b80f1646af04ddd167a2

I just did a fresh clone following my steps and the game ran successfully. I am running Linux 64 bits, I believe Xela is running Windows

Make sure you are indeed running the master branch-

git checkout master
git pull
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:33:57 PM by mijh »

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:19:12 AM »
@Xela
The GUI that came with my Git package only offers the fetch command, not the pull command. Pull is a combined fetch and merge operation, that's why new commits are automatically merged for me (if there are no conflicts). If you are doing in fact a fetch and not a pull that would explain why you have to merge afterwards.

@mijh
"renpy/pytfall/game/content/db" exists and contains four xml files (buildings, items, map and traits.xml)
I confirmed the identity of the SHA1 IDs with a == of python strings, which returned True
"git checkout master" reports "Already on 'master'"
"git pull" reports "Already up-to-date."

Thank you for your help. What else could have gone wrong?

I still get the same error on Start New Game. I will get a new clone of the repo, following the instructions in the opening post. Let's see how that goes.

If you have any ideas that I could try to solve my problems, please post them.

Thank you :-)

UPDATE: I extracted a new copy of renpy, cloned the repo based on the instructions in the opening post, and received the same error on "Start new game" :-(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:48:54 AM by rudistoned »

Offline mijh

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 01:29:58 AM »
I just did a new download/unzip of renpy, fresh clone in git, on Windows 8 64 bit.

I can't use renpy.py or renpy.sh to start it in windows (I guess this is because I have a system python on my path), but renpy.exe starts and runs the game perfectly.

I'd suggest uninstalling any system python you have installed and deleting any copies you have of the game and renpy on your system, and then do a fresh download clone. Use git bash, not a gui.
Please report back exact error.

Brothel objects should definitely have an init attribute, it is one of their methods, defined on line 119 in classes - locations.rpy

BTW: I'd suggest idling on IRC (i.e staying in the client), so we can talk when we are both on. I missed your messages twice unfortunately. My client will notify me if you mention my name or send me a private message (so please do that next time!), most IRC clients won't notify on a normal channel message though, because they'd constantly be highlighted by busy channels.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:32:26 AM by mijh »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »
@Xela
The GUI that came with my Git package only offers the fetch command, not the pull command. Pull is a combined fetch and merge operation, that's why new commits are automatically merged for me (if there are no conflicts). If you are doing in fact a fetch and not a pull that would explain why you have to merge afterwards.

@mijh
"renpy/pytfall/game/content/db" exists and contains four xml files (buildings, items, map and traits.xml)
I confirmed the identity of the SHA1 IDs with a == of python strings, which returned True
"git checkout master" reports "Already on 'master'"
"git pull" reports "Already up-to-date."

Thank you for your help. What else could have gone wrong?

I still get the same error on Start New Game. I will get a new clone of the repo, following the instructions in the opening post. Let's see how that goes.

If you have any ideas that I could try to solve my problems, please post them.

Thank you :-)

UPDATE: I extracted a new copy of renpy, cloned the repo based on the instructions in the opening post, and received the same error on "Start new game" :-(

Man, I swear that I got exactly the same Error because local and remote master branches were not properly merged. Try deleting all .rpyc files, delete the bytecode.rpyb and simply try to check out into the remote/master branch and try running the game. Also make sure non of the files is open at that time, maybe your text editor is preventing upgrades (mine seems to be ok with it...)

Otherwise, I've NEVER heard of an issue with filepath due to Python being installed. If all fails, might be simpler for me or Matt to sync with master branch and pass freshly upgraded copy of the game through dropbox.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:00:52 AM »
Thank you so much for mentioning the system python installation! The game runs now :-)

What I did:

Remove my Python 2.7 install from the system PATH.
Rename the C:\Python27 folder, so the python executable would not be found easily.
Rename the C:\Python26 folder, so the python executable would not be found easily.
Redownload renpy and unzip it.
Move my fresh clone of the repo into the renpy folder.
Launch renpy via renpy.exe

So the problem definitely was one of my two Python installations. That's very strange IMHO, as renpy brings it's own python interpreter AFAIK. Even stranger, I undid changes 1-3 (added Python 2.7 to the system PATH again and renamed the python folders to their original names), but I can't reproduce my original error now. It seems to me that renpy, possibly on first startup, checks if the system provides a python interpreter and only uses its own if no system installation of python can be found.

In any case, thank you so much for you help and also for this thread. I already saw the changes you made in the OP regarding IRC and will /query you the next time I'm there :-)

@Xela
Sorry, but I'm sure the system python installations were the problem. I used the exact same repository that produced said AttributeError after I renamed my python folders and removed it from the system PATH and it suddenly worked. Maybe the problem was that I had two Python versions installed (2.6 and 2.7) or maybe having the python folder and the Scripts subfolder in the system PATH is a problem for renpy. Both are non-default situations, but I would expect that both are common for many python devs.

Offline mijh

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:06:30 AM »
I have a python 2.7 in my system path and renpy.exe works fine. I'm pretty sure the exe is hardwired to use renpy's python, which is in lib\windows-i686

But I'm pretty sure whenever you try to do something technical, and it works absolutely perfectly the very first time, somewhere in the universe 1000 kittens cry out in painful deaths to restore the imbalance of karma thereby created. So, at least you didn't kill 1000 kittens.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:10:47 AM by mijh »

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:06 AM »
@mijh
That's what I would expect.

But how do you explain what just happened here?

UPDATE: Yeah, good for me  :D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:28:42 AM »
Well, all's well that ends well but I am sure that RenPy uses it's own Python cause it rigged with PyGame that RenPy requires to run. Anyway, as long as everything's working.

PS: I've started turning jobs into classes btw, improving them in the meanwhile. So we don't start working on exactly the same thing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline VyridianD

Re: -PyTFall- Communication and Repository Information
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
Odd question here, once you've cloned the code, what's the file you direct renpy to? All 3 .rpy files in the base pytfall directory (screens, options, script) all are not understood by the program.