Author Topic: Other Games Thread  (Read 413707 times)

Offline TF

Re: Other Games Thread
« Reply #630 on: November 10, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »
The team leader on the project, Zwtrvrsch, said:
Firstly I have to tell you that I personally would have liked to start with the first Rance game. Unfortunately I own not said game and cannot, for obvious reasons, translate something I don't possess.

Offline Samu

« Reply #631 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
Ah, thats why... I tought it was because it sucked ass like rance 5 xD

Offline Hentai_Heitai

« Reply #632 on: November 11, 2010, 04:35:59 AM »
Rance I did suck ass, but it's a 1989 game so it's forgiveable

Offline sgb

« Reply #633 on: November 16, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »
Can't speak for the other Rance games, but Sengoku Rance was overrated as all hell.  It was pretty much an Eroge thinly disguised as a strategy game.  A 'strategy' game where scripted events kept interfering with your plans, blatently cheating AI, and a battle system where you could wipe out 90% of the enemy force with no losses and still 'lose' the battle.

It was actually pretty decent in free mode where all that bullshit was lifted and it played like it was supposed to, but you had to finish the game once before you could do that.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #634 on: November 16, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »
Can't speak for the other Rance games, but Sengoku Rance was overrated as all hell.  It was pretty much an Eroge thinly disguised as a strategy game.  A 'strategy' game where scripted events kept interfering with your plans, blatently cheating AI, and a battle system where you could wipe out 90% of the enemy force with no losses and still 'lose' the battle.

It was actually pretty decent in free mode where all that bullshit was lifted and it played like it was supposed to, but you had to finish the game once before you could do that.

Best ost ever.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline Kenki

« Reply #635 on: November 17, 2010, 12:25:45 AM »
[size=78%]Can't speak for the other Rance games, but Sengoku Rance was overrated as all hell.  It was pretty much an Eroge thinly disguised as a strategy game.  A 'strategy' game where scripted events kept interfering with your plans, blatently cheating AI, and a battle system where you could wipe out 90% of the enemy force with no losses and still 'lose' the battle.[/size]

[size=78%]It was actually pretty decent in free mode where all that bullshit was lifted and it played like it was supposed to, but you had to finish the game once before you could do that.[/size]

I disagree. The AI does not 'Cheat' and I have no problem defeating it. At the current moment I am at war with Mouri, Akashi, Tenshi Sect, and the One Eye House. If I were to fully utilize my battle permits(and not just one) I could easily take on House Takeda as well. Granted I have been maximizing my monetary income each turn and putting it all into increasing my troop levels. I think almost every one of my units is over 1000.

The reason you could never 'win' the battles is because you could not control the battlefield. Have you watched '300' or know the story of the Spartans? Winning a battle is not simply about who sustained more losses, its about who controls the ground. If you are fighting them on their ground, they have a sharp advantage. You can put techniques on your characters to give you battlefield control. But yes, the simplest way is to kill of units. Not simply reduce their numbers by 90%, you need 100% wipe-out to gain ground. Not necessarily all enemy captains, 3 of 4 units is sometimes enough.

If you want an 'annoying' game, try Daibanchou -- Big Bang Age. OMFG! :'(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:50:31 PM by Kenki »

Offline Hentai_Heitai

« Reply #636 on: November 17, 2010, 02:03:43 AM »
Kichikuou Rance was much the same way.

The reason for the linear scripting is probably to reduce the massive frustration that results from conducting actions that fuck you up permanently several turns after you conducted them and have no opportunity to reload.

It also had a completely random chance that you would insta-lose automatically by a kunoichi every turn you are at war with JAPAN. And the fact that one of the nations you fight has a nuke.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #637 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »

That's the point really. It is a decent strategy game. It's just that the first time you play, it has a story to tell. For that to happen, the conflict has to develop in a certain way.

I too found the plot frustrating on my first play through. Once I realised what was going on though, I didn't mind so much. It might have been nice to have free mode unlocked from the start though.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #638 on: November 17, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »
If you want an 'annoying' game, try Daibanchou -- Big Bang Age. OMFG! :'(

Big Bang Age is hard the first time you play. As in, if you're not prepared, you'll get fucked in the ass.

The best thing you can do is stock up on schoolgirls in the first two parts. Though... overstock and you have money problems at the beginning of part 3.

Also...

http://alicesoft.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Bang_Age:Character_walkthrough

Best thing ever.

If you want a suggestion to completely wreck normal mode, here's you should get in part one and two:

For battle:

Burai - boxer guy (His special skill, when activated, sets his evasion to 999. He has high hp and attack. Always useful)
Kendo - Kendo girl (She gets two powerups if you do things right. Her dodge never improves, but her attack ends up almost as much as Rouga's by the end of part 3)
Heita - Starting character (Super heita makes the final dungeon easy as all hell. His evasion ends up being about 60, and he gets 30 more against demons, so practically nothing hits him. Even if he is hit, he has enough health and counter that it doesn't matter)
Kunagi (Her evasion makes the game funny at times, but you only have her in her path)
Ijuin Tamari - Lolicon teacher (Scout lets you see enemy actions when he's in battle all the time instead of just every other battle. Very useful support character)
Nanana - Softball girl (Her attack and health end up very high, though her hit and evasion lag. Her skill sucks, but if you clear her, it turns into an attack boost for all allies in the fight with her. Useful for absorbing and dealing a lot of damage)
Kyouko - Mother (Insanely useful along with her daughter, Yuuna, for lowering the counter of enemies. This makes long-range characters very powerful, as enemies can't ordinarily fight back)

For management:

Aya (Low pay, high income, decent law)
Jun (High law)
Hibiki (Good law and income)
Gou (High law and income)

In part 3, however, there are many, many characters. The ones that really stand out are:

Kuga
Shion/Sion
Shizuri
Akuu
Daimao
Spam
Kanata
Mouri
Mouri
Misugi (For his BP boosts, get rid of him after you get them)
Saito (Great evasion later on)

These characters are easy to get (Except maybe Kanata, Mouri, Daimao, and Mouri, if you aren't careful and quick), and they're all pretty useful. Some other ones are difficult to recruit, like the space emperor, so I didn't include them.

(Spam is a douche)
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline letmein

« Reply #639 on: November 21, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »
Well, just posted some links in the game link thread.  Not sure if the type of thing that lots of people around here would be interested in, since most of the games use RL or computer-animated pics instead of anime, but what the hey, someone might get interested.

Anyway, they're all AIF (Adult Interactive Fiction) games, third or fourth generation descendants of the type-action adventure story days.  You can still find the no-visual games too, if you want; many of them are quite excellent, and some hve real engaging stories.  The stuff that *I* linked too is visual, though,  since I haven't checked into the other stuff for years.  If anyone's interested I can see if I remember the names/DL locations of the decent ones.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #640 on: November 21, 2010, 03:50:11 AM »
I'm always interested in decent interactive fiction. I don't when I'll get the time  to play/read any of it these days, but I'm definitely interested.