devolution

Author Topic: Playstation 3 game suggestions?  (Read 48980 times)

Offline sgb

Playstation 3 game suggestions?
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:55:02 AM »
So I finally broke down and bought a PS3 (used of course, I wanted a backward compatible one).  I'm a big fighting game fan, and it doesn't look like Super Street Fighter IV is going to get a PC release.  Super Blazblue is also coming out very soon with MvsC3 on the horizon, so I figured it was time.  The question is, what else would people recommend?  I picked up three games with the system as the store gives you $25 off if you do.  I grabbed SSF4 of course, and Metal Gear 4 because it was cheap and a great showcase game...but I didn't know what to pick for a third.  I ended up going with God of War 3, but I heard it's really short and better off as a rental so I'm probably going to return it for something else.  I haven't kept on top of PS3 releases, so I'm kind of at a loss here.  As I have a fine gaming PC anything I can get on the PC is out, and of course I can't trade it in for downloadable games or that would have made the decision a lot easier.

Any suggestions, or even suggest that I stick with God of War 3?  An RPG would be nice since they're good value for money, but I heard FF13 was all style and no substance.  How was Star Ocean 4?  Maybe Disgaea 3?  Help someone who's been out of the console gaming loop out!

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
Re: Playstation 3 game suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:24:58 AM »
X-box 360 here so I can't give you 100% help on this.

Star ocean 4 is 360 only last I heard. Don't worry though, you aren't missing much.

If you liked FF10 there is no reason why you shouldn't like 13. Better yet, if you liked Xenosaga (didn't mind watching a 40 hour long movie) you will like 13. 13 Caught a lot of heat from 360 players, who where mostly getting fair like Dragon age, Mass effect, Fallout 3, and the like. So a massively linear story pissed them the hell off. Being a Sony to M$ convert though, I didn't mind at all. Of course, nobody complains about the linearness of Fable or Borderlands so it's just "We Hate JRPGS" from the PC crowd.

If you don't have games like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Oblivion or the like for the PC, could very well get them now.  :D
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:03:01 AM »
Rumor is that DoA5 is going to be on 360 AND PS3.  It isn't much help, as it's not due out for awhile, but I'm not a big fan of the overpriced blu ray player, so I don't know many of the games.

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:12:15 AM »
did you like the original zelda games if so try 3d dot game heros another good one is ratchet and clank series, cross edge is as well it is a crossover game with turn based fighting elements. Also try fat princess for the download it is fun
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:13:56 AM »
megaman, he's asking about PS3 titles :P  Sure, he could go emu, but he'd have to mod his ps3 to do it.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:26:54 AM »
Any suggestions, or even suggest that I stick with God of War 3?  An RPG would be nice since they're good value for money, but I heard FF13 was all style and no substance.  How was Star Ocean 4?  Maybe Disgaea 3?  Help someone who's been out of the console gaming loop out!

Yeah, I wish I had more of an idea of what you liked other than fighting games. You could get Soul Calibur 4 if you really want a fighting game. Games I fell in love with:
Valkyria Chronicles (Turn based strategy game) BEST GAME EVER
Uncharted 1/2 (Third person action game *Also quite short* 2 has multiplayer though) 
Demons Souls (Japanese take on Western RPGs *Seems hard at first, but once you learn enemy patterns it becomes much easier*) SECOND BEST GAME EVER 
Resident Evil 5 (Short game, but there's a lot to do so you'll play it for hours)

If you really want an RPG I say wait for Ar Tonelico 3 (They say you don't need to play the other two to get it *Even though they're totally awesome*) or maybe even Atelier Rurona which is coming out before long as well. But if you need one now, Cross Edge isn't a bad choice, the story is terrible but the game itself is quite fun. FF 13 involves a lot of running through narrow walkways the monotony killed it for me. (I still havent beaten it) so I say avoid that. It's selling for incredibly cheap in Japan because everyone returned it after they finished it. So I say just keep waiting on that one. Disgaea 3 is fun, I enjoyed it. It does lose it's appeal before long though but there's toooonnnnnns to do.

Hrm what else? Oh yeah, Star Ocean 4... yeah... not the best game in the world. Story is boring as sin, characters seem so stiff and no one is truly likable, so you really don't care about anyone. Gameplay is probably the best as far as an SO game goes. Though SO2 is still the best Star Ocean even created. (Not the best story in that either)

megaman, he's asking about PS3 titles :P  Sure, he could go emu, but he'd have to mod his ps3 to do it.
No he's comparing 3D dot game heroes to Zelda. Saying they're similar gameplay wise. I havent played the game myself, but I've been wanting to for a while. :/
Also been wanting to play Last Rebellion and Resonance of Fate. D:
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline sgb

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll take a look into some of those.  Basically I like any sort of game expect maybe sports titles, so anything is good as long as it's fun and it's not something I could have gotten on PC.

-Valkyria Chronicles: I've heard some good things about Valkyria Chronicles and love strategy   games, so I'll keep an eye out for that one for sure.

-Demon's Souls:  I heard Demon's Souls was interesting but didn't see it anywhere for   sale, except a $75 collectors edition.  May just have to rent this one then.

-FF13: Will probably stay away then.  I enjoy the style of both CRPGs and JPRGs at times, but everything I've heard about FF13 points to it being as linear and bland as hell.  The fact that I saw it used for $35 (canuck dollars) kind of tells me just how many trade-ins they got for this.  Which is generally not a good sign for a supposed AAA RPG.

-Star Ocean 4:  That's too bad it sucks, as I really liked the second and third one.  Oh well.

-Ar Tonelico 3: I've played the other two, so I'll keep an eye out for this one.  Hopefully they can strike a better balance between the gameplay and the 'sim' portion this time.  They almost had a good gameplay system in the second one, but was once again laughably easy.

If you don't have games like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Oblivion or the   like for the PC, could very well get them now.
Picked up Borderlands for $10 during the Steam mega-sale a few weeks ago.  Still kicking myself for missing some of the other specials.

There's a bunch of downloadable games I'm interesting in too of course.  I plan to pick up Megaman 9 and 10, and will take a look at that Dot Heroes game as well.

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »
Well, I like fallout 3 for PC best cuz of the ability to mod it in ways that you can't do with 360 or PS3 versions.  If you have fallout 3 for pc, I suggest taking a hop to http://fallout3nexus.com and checking out the arena mod that adds an arena in game similar to the one in oblivion

Offline Lorde

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »

-FF13: Will probably stay away then.  I enjoy the style of both CRPGs and JPRGs at times, but everything I've heard about FF13 points to it being as linear and bland as hell.  The fact that I saw it used for $35 (canuck dollars) kind of tells me just how many trade-ins they got for this.  Which is generally not a good sign for a supposed AAA RPG.

Linear yeah, not so much with the bland. At least graphics and story wise. Gameplay though... you will probably ware out your X button. But that could be said for most final fantasies.

Anyone know if Nier has been released on the PS3 as well? I heard it was pretty much a JRPG version of Fable. And actually very good. (Surprisingly so considering what Square enix has been releasing on the Current Gen Consoles.)

And yeah, SO4 was a gigantic disappointment. Especially coming from Tri-Ace. (Wonder if that had anything to do with SE dropping them and Sega picking them up?) It's pretty much a Harem Comedy in space. Minus the Comedy... And A few to many Loli's for my taste.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »
Anyone know if Nier has been released on the PS3 as well? I heard it was pretty much a JRPG version of Fable. And actually very good. (Surprisingly so considering what Square enix has been releasing on the Current Gen Consoles.)

It's out, I heard it was pretty good. But the side quests have little to be desired. (I remember fishing be a complaint) The story is top notch, I'd like to play it myself. Keep in mind we have Replicant with the older MC if that changes anything for you.
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Lorde

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
Cool, I just picked it up for the 360 myself, but don't like to recommend something by way of heresy. (Haven't played yet) Least not without corroboration.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »

It's out, I heard it was pretty good. But the side quests have little to be desired. (I remember fishing be a complaint) The story is top notch, I'd like to play it myself. Keep in mind we have Replicant with the older MC if that changes anything for you.
fishing don't even get me started on that games fishing I am usually good at fishing mini games but this was asinine
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »
Now that I've actually played it, I can recommend Nier.  ;D

Also:

fishing don't even get me started on that games fishing I am usually good at fishing mini games but this was asinine

yeah it's a bit of a pain to get used to at first. Trick is to remember that the area you get your fishing rod is not the area you should start fishing at. The story quest where you actually need to fish is messed up like that. Just pay attention to the red X on the map. After that quest is done, the old guy that gives you the fishing gear also gives you quests to raise your fishing level. After that, fishing is way easier.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »
Best fishing min-game EVER... Zelda: Ocarina of Time
That was just CLASSIC

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »
Best fishing min-game EVER... Zelda: Ocarina of Time
That was just CLASSIC

Yeah I actually enjoyed that games fishing. One of the few games I went out of my way to do MOST if not all the quests.

Now if anyone has played Resoncance of Fate. I'd like some opinions on that... I've been holding off on it for a while now.
26 girls, 18 to go