devolution

Author Topic: Playstation 3 game suggestions?  (Read 49277 times)

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
Re: Playstation 3 game suggestions?
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »
Yeah, we have been talking a lot about JRPG's. Favorite Western RPG series for me.

Dragon Age
Fallout

Special mention to Mass Effect which isn't really an RPG any more. It's more like a complex action title now.
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2010, 03:59:04 PM »
We only have 2,3 and 5 right? Then I played all the ones in the US. Completed them, and loved them.
Yep, those are the only ones we got. There are translation patches out for the Langrisser games though, which are to Growlanser what Wasteland is to Fallout. Oh, and you loved two?  ??? I mean, the battles were fun, but the rest of the game was...

Favorite western RPG series would have to be Geneforge. Fairly simple game, but I just love the premise behind it. First thing I thought when I read about Clonemaster was "Is DocClox a Geneforge fan?".

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »
I HATED Dragon Age. I could not get into it for the life of me, and believe me I really tried to like it.
I enjoyed all the other Bioware games though.

Oh, and you loved two?  ??? I mean, the battles were fun, but the rest of the game was...

Yeah, well it wasn't the best of the games but I enjoyed it enough to beat it. The only thing I remember hating is that red haired kid who tried to be funny. I liked 3 a lot but I don't remember most of the characters. I might have to go back and play them again.

After Lunar 1 and 2. :)
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
I thought Hans was kind of funny, but I tend to think that of any character that annoys all the other characters. I enjoyed it enough to push my way through and get Wolfgang's path, but I hadn't played three yet. After playing three, the battle system wasn't new and fresh anymore, and I just couldn't stomach going back to two.

I have very found memories of Lunar 2. It's the second rpg I had been able to play without my dad beating it in front of me first and ruining the experience.

Offline sgb

« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
The Star Ocean games are pretty much the opposite of every other JRPG.  They have really fun battle systems and interesting item systems, but absolutely forgettable story and character development.  Even 3, the best of the series gameplay-wise, had such pointless characters you didn't even know the motivations or interests of the main character.  Everyone in the game is just kind of...there.  Of course 3 wasn't helped by the fact the simply finding the private actions required a FAQ.

The only thing I'll give 4 is that it was the first game to actually involove, you know that thing in the title, SPACE EXPLORATION.  Other than that every single one of the characters makes you want to strangle them.  Why does my 'crew' consist of emos, lolis, and morons?  The cyborg was the only one without some sort of brain damage or emotional baggage, and that's only because he doesn't have emotions.  The best is Remi who whines that she's immune to all diseases and toxins.  Gee, what a sucky power.  Must be rough.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
I submit edge for most obnoxious character. If for no other reason then the gigantic Baaw fest he had for destroying something that technically didn't even exist... Half the game wasted with him moping about, only to be topped by his "YOU DON"T UNDERSTAND MY FEELINGS! WAAAA!" blow up Speech.

Honorary mention goes to Meracle for no other reason then her "I've done it! Meow!" being forever ingrained in my head thanks to SO4's Item creation set up.

And I actually Liked the characters from SO3. (think I'm in the minority for that) My Only complaint is they seemed to drop Nel's dialogue completely after you recruit her again.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:58:20 PM by Lorde »
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
I liked... some of the characters from SO3. Crispin Freeman Albel is obviously a bad-ass, but I thought Cliff was a pretty interesting character if you hunt down his private actions. Nel was a walking cliche, but a cliche I think is bit cool. Peppita and Roger can go die in a fire though. I wish SO3 would have had SO2's match making system.

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »
My vote goes to SO2 having the most likable characters by far.
I hated Cliff, hated the main character, Nel was ok I guess I don't really remember much of her. I guess I'm just not a big fan of SO3. Everything I did felt unsubstantial so I had zero motivation to continue. Gigantic fetch quest after fetch quest. That being said I never actually completed the game, and I don't remember getting any private actions either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Suikoden is all about story and character interaction, dungeons are short, characters are likable, you get SIX members in a battle, you have actual WARS you fight in. I mean the games are amazing (1,2,3,5) *I refuse the existence of 4*

Arc the lad is a good series if you like strategy games.
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2010, 01:13:21 AM »
Oh yeah, the Suikoden games are great, but for some reason, after I'm done with them they seem to fade from my memory a bit. Except four. Four was very memorable. Oh, how I loathe four. It wouldn't have been anywhere near so bad if it hadn't been for the time it takes to travel, but to draw that poor-mediocre game out so much was torture.

I want to add in Breath of Fire as one of my favorite series, but that seems wrong. One and two feel like they should be one series, three and four another, with five being a standalone(Which it pretty much was). And while one and two were fairly enjoyable I suppose, I really like four and my god did I love three. I have absolutely horrible luck when it comes to drop-rates in games, but I still stuck it out to get that goddamn Goo King Sword. After three and four, Dragon Quarter was a bit of a disappointment. Going back and playing it now, it's a pretty good roguelike, but when it came out I felt like it had violated my soul.

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2010, 01:23:33 AM »
Well I liked Breath of Fire 1 and 2 just never beat them. I've been meaning to get around to playing 3 but I just haven't. I loved 4 though. Dragon Quarter was a huge disappointment for me. I never beat it... I haven't beaten any of the Breath of Fires. I'm ashamed! D:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Lorde

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2010, 01:42:23 AM »
Since we are throwing out random JRPGS...

I submit Grandia, Dragon Force, Shining in the Darkens Darkness and Vay.

Ok maybe not Vay. All I really remember from that one was a monster that looked like a mentally challenged Minotaur. which was aptly named the "Retardataur" by Working Designs... I actually miss their insane translations.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:18:47 PM by Lorde »
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2010, 03:31:16 AM »
I've never played Dragon Force, but Wikipedia's description of it suggests I should. The description reminds me of Brigandine, another game I adore. I haven't played Shining in the Darkens either, but I can't even find it with google, so I can't comment. As for Vay, don't have a Sega-CD, so while it sounds interesting, I'm not going to be able to play it.

*edit* And yet I have a Virtual Boy and an imported copy of Jack Brothers.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »
Shining in the Darkness is an Old genesis title. It was kinda a faux 3d dungeon crawl with 3 characters and a fairly entertaining story. It's also the forerunner to Sega's Shinning Force series.  I remember Mapping out that god damn dungeon on graph paper and exploring it in full way back in the day.

Vay... not working designs best port. The Retardataur was probably the funniest joke in the game. But I thought it was hilarious back when I saw it and have remembered it ever since.

I do recommend Dragon  Force though. Watching 200 Little Pixel People slaughter themselves for your amusement never gets old. Neither does having your generals lob Meteor Showers, "Kamehameha Blasts" and "Hadokens" into the fray get old either. Also you unlock the main villains army for beating the game once. And it's completely broken. Thus, all sorts of fun.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:25:51 PM by Lorde »
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
Oh, Shining in the <i>Darkness</i>. I watched my dad beat that when I was little. And apparently he was playing a four year old game, since it came out shortly after I was born... Sad to say I've only played Soul, Soul 2, Tears, and EXA from the Shining games.

And I'm now going to end up tracking down a copy of Dragon Force this weekend.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
 :D

Good god that was a horrid typo on my part.

Also, they are currently working on a fan translation of Dragon Force 2. (Was curious enough to check after I wrote my "synopsis" for DF.) But that will need a Saturn emulator for that I believe. (could be a PS1 title) And it seems to be only like 30-40% done. (working on it since April|May 2009)
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)