devolution

Author Topic: Off-Topic:  (Read 162440 times)

Offline ker

Re: Off-Topic:
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
If you could go out and buy it, I'd say do that.  But legal purchase isn't an option unfortunately.

Offline letmein

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »
I finally found a place to get Hentai High!   

http://rs98.rapidshare.com/files/242812181/HentHighschool.zip

I still think it's sad that no one ever took this up, as happened with Sim Brothel and Slave Maker.  I'm not suggesting anything - I promise!  - I'm just expressing regret.  Anyway, hope y'all enjoy it if you haven't played it before.  And by the way, it's a little buggy; remember, you generally get what you pay for, and this was free.
Still lurking.

Offline letmein

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2009, 11:53:06 PM »
Double-post addendum:  and how come everybody keeps getting all these extra stars?  I worked damn hard to earn mine, none of this "I'm going to pretend to be a programmer!" stuff.  I think I'm getting rank envy...    :'(
Still lurking.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2009, 03:05:22 AM »
I think I'm getting rank envy...    :'(
Sounds like it. ;)

Thanks for the Hentai High download link. You don't happen to have any tips for it, or links for a manual or something, do you? Probably not, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2009, 03:30:49 AM »
As near as I can tell, there are no manuals or hint guides to be found.  The only hint I've seen is that the colors correspond to different stats:
Red = sex
Blue = knowledge
Yellow = behavior
White = morals
Green = joy

Somehow, the bonuses are applied when teaching, and the bonus depends on either the color you pick in the teaching part of the "next semester" phase or the combo of colors you assigned.  I have no idea which is the case, and I have yet to detect any correlation between the colors and the stats or pills.

Can anyone else shed any light on the subject?
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »
There used to be a thread at funnygames.com, but it was lost in the aether.

Here's the Cliff Notes version:  you have stats, and you have the "bonus dots" (for lack of a better term).  Stats are what will give you the different endings, but the dot bonuses are what let you get to do more things.  You gain (or in the case of stats, lose) both during the teaching and walking around phases.

Taking a quick look at the main screen once you start a game, there are a lot of buttons.  Going counterclockwise from top left: 

"Buy Buildings" is hopefully obvious - there are only two options anyway.  New buildings let you visit them later, which opens up new events - and in the pool's case, a new club.

"Clubs"  - these cost money every year, but they also alter your stats and give bonus dots.  In general, you want to activate every club available, and NEVER close them.

"Color Combination" - here's where it gets interesting.  As zodiac conveniently suggested, each color in this game equates to a different stat/aspect.  Here, you have to pick sets of two (or one) colors that you will use later, in the teaching phase.  I'll get to that in a bit.

"Use Color Points" - this is where your bonus dots become neat things, and let you do more things.

"Lessons Book" - here, you alter the amount of 'innuendo' within each teacher's class.  Generally, more loyal teachers will allow higher amounts of innuendo - this is a balancing act.  Higher innuendo obviously raises the sex stat.

"Assign Teachers" - this is where you assign classes.  Notice that each teacher has a specialty, and within that specialty they'll have less minus stats and more plus stats in the teaching phase.

"School Rules" - these actually have a pretty large effect on the game.  The effects of each are not always obvious (and in at least one case, probably bugged with a minus sign - I forget where, though), but most of them are pretty intuitive.

"Save" - duh.  Note, though, that saving a game is bugged, and screws up the whole 'bonus' system.  I'd recommend just playing through the entire game.

"Load" - duh again.

"Next Trimester" - begins the teaching phase.

So, what happens after the first turn?  You've followed the arrows (which don't quite point where they should, and begun the first trimester.  First, you can do a school event - some of these are more useful than others - I'll get to that later.  Now you see a class pop up, with a teacher and an option to pick between the colors you assigned earlier.  Huh?

Well, the deal here is that the class (which was randomly picked) can be skewed to either aspect/color (which go in order as you assigned them).  Doing this will effect your stats, and in some cases give you bonus points.  You'll also see that your teacher either accepted your teaching manual (i.e. amount of innuendo) or rejected it, AND was either able to manage the class or not (this is a function of their authority).  They may or may not have had a quote-unquote 'influence' on the class as well, which is a raise in the sex stat caused by teacher sex rating (and possibly the amount of innuendo too).  Picking colors is pretty vital - some colors and classes don't combine well and end up lowering stats, others don't really do anything, and some are really, really nice.  For the most part, the connections are rather obvious - math isn't joyous, sex classes aren't moral, sports is fun, science is full of learning, etc.  You may or may not get a random event after this phase, which  often has a choice associated with it.

After this comes the walking phase, where you have three chances to get events.  These events differ based on where you went, and have lots off different effects.  It's pretty obvious what to do here.

After this comes another teaching phase for second trimester, yadda yadda yadda, then the year's done and you can change class assignments, school rules, use color points, etc.  You get 15 years (assuming you haven't used the bonus +5 years you can get), so there is an element of strategy here.

Speaking of that, what are some of the basic strategies to use?  Well, first of all, there is one stat that isabsolutely vital: reputation.  If reputation hits zero, it's game over.  Don't let that happen - the problem, though, is that most sexy stuff lowers your rep.  This means you'll have to spend a while building a cushion in your rep before you can start getting really wild.  One way to do this is through picking the proper school events (a couple raise this stat, but not every time - experiment!), through lucky events, and just waiting since it will naturally rise if you aren't too naughty.  The best way to do this, though, is to cheat - there are a couple random events that raise reputation, and if you press the "OK" button multiple times before it disappears you'll get the boost more than once.  ;)

Your other priority at the start is to get joy bonus dots (the green ones).  You need these for the higher sex classes, but they are hard to get to start with.  In general, you'll want to get a couple of the extra joy classes ASAP.

Be mindful of how the color aspects work with classes - how you combine them in pairs makes a HUGE difference in the game.  Note that the top two pairs are used twice (six slots, eight classes).  You'll also have some singlets or an empty pair.

Does that help?  If you have more specific questions, I'll do my best to answer.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »
Just to add: the sex clubs really hammer your rep when you open them. You can get away with one or maybe two, but more than that and you're going to have problems

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »
If I'm guessing Hentai high is about a school where you train girls for sex?
My 3rd game planned is a dating sim, it will take place in a school but no training of girls :D. Its focus is on rumor mongering, every action you or any of the the key NPCs take may result in a rumor being spread. This rumor will affect everyone differently so friends will stick by you most of the time but say if you were seen kissing a girl your friend liked then that would negatively affect your friendship with them, also it is possible to make fake rumors to affect the image of someone at the school. Hence the game is going to be very dynamic.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »
It's not exactly sex training, not in the same sense as Slave Maker anyway.  It's more a game where you try to corrupt a school to produce sex-crazed students.  You insert sexual innuendo into the curricula and push the PTA to let you get away with teaching more and more risque subjects until you have lessons in sex, masturbation, bondage, exhibition, gang-bangs, etc.  There's alot more too it than that, but that's the basic idea.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2009, 05:41:46 PM »
Sounds like fun, necno.
Still lurking.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2009, 12:24:14 AM »
For anyone interested, attached is an init save for Hentai High School with all Extras unlocked. After one successful playthrough providing very few colored orbs at the end (not even 5 in anything), I just resorted to using CheatEngine to hack the number of orbs available and unlocked everything. Whatever works, eh?  :)
The file goes in the "Save" folder in your HHS installation directory.

Oh, and I went ahead and enabled small attachments on the forum here. The bandwidth crisis has abated somewhat for now, and hopefully my host will hurry up with that gigabit conversion.

Offline letmein

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »
Well, the endgame bonus dots are based on the number of regular dots you have left over - it doesn't really make sense to do it that way, but whatever.  This game isn't quite polished - just like the original SM or SimBro, it's more like a late beta release.  Anyway, the point is, it takes a while to learn how to game the system and get the dots you need; cheating works just as fine, I guess.  ;)
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »
It took me 4 plays through before I could unlock anything, but once you get the hang of it it gets easier.  Knowing that certain colors are better for certain jobs is critical.  Now if only I could figure them all out....

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2009, 06:41:28 AM »
By the way, about Hentai High School, I should add that if you choose any schools other than the first one, your initial savegames will be really messed up.
So, say you start a new game in a different school than the first, save your game (even after going ahead and playing through a year or 3), exit completely, and then restart it and load that save, the basic school stats and money at least will be reset to what appears to be the default values for a new game in the first school. Other things will have been properly saved, like which buildings you've bought, what year it is, and most other things. If you then play a bit and save the game again, it appears to pretty much fix the glitch with one acception; if you had the sex class upgrades already (bought or obtained through the Extras), the game will still have the cap on the Sex value for the school at 50 as if you didn't have them, but you won't be able to buy them again. A bit irritating. Buying some of the other sex-related upgrades (not sure which particular one) appears to fix this.

Makes you wish he'd made the source available. ;)

Offline letmein

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2009, 11:46:36 AM »
People have asked, but pooolka got sick and disappeared before doing so.  Sad.
Still lurking.