Author Topic: Where is the script editor?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Anon21

Where is the script editor?
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Like the subject says. Where is the script editor?

[EDIT] Never mind, I found it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:53:09 PM by Anon21 »

Offline some_loli_catgirl

Re: Where is the script editor?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
I'd also like to know where it is.

Edit: it's in "\Docs&Tools\ScriptEditor"

Edit again: So where's the source code for the script editor?

Edit again: So you can just add lines to the Scriptcommands.txt file then...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:37:02 PM by some_loli_catgirl »

Offline Aika

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »
As far as I know, and this is a constant point of frustration for me, there is no source code for the script editor... at least, not that has been made open source.  If anyone finds the source code for the script editor, or creates a script editor for this game and makes the code open source, PLEASE let me know.

Offline dqhx

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:02:13 AM »
The reason there's no source code for the script editor is that the devs were in the process of replacing all that old scripting with LUA (a proper language that you can write with any text editor) and the limited old style scripting was supposed to be dropped years ago when the main devs stopped updating the game.

The way it was originally designed the game was supposed to be very moddable from XML + LUA (layout + behaviour) with minimal recompiling required. Unfortunately the LUA implementation is very basic right now.

It's not that it's very hard to add functions to it and tie it into more events to make it at least as capable as the old style scripting engine. But i guess none of the programming modders wanted to break compatibility with everyone else's mods by making their own scripting functions, etc.. (i know i didn't) the design of the scripting engine is something that needs to be planned and discussed, if you just "wing it" you end up with 5 incompatible versions.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
Last time I heard from a developer on this was last November.  I asked DocClox about the scripting, and he told me:

'That was the big problem with Lua - you need to make a separate access function for each value in the game you want to change, and the game architecture isn't particularly accommodating in that respect.'

He was going to grab some of his half-finished source from me, but I never did hear back, so I'm guessing RL or other stuff caught up with him.

Offline Aika

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
So all this leaves us in the limbo of being stuck with a bugged script editor with a half-implemented replacement framework. I'd still like to get a copy of the script editor's source, so I can at least poke at the bugs I've found.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
Why does this have to be so complicated... is it possible to import events from xml? Game already has some sort of xml parser?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
Last time I heard from a developer on this was last November.  I asked DocClox about the scripting, and he told me:

'That was the big problem with Lua - you need to make a separate access function for each value in the game you want to change, and the game architecture isn't particularly accommodating in that respect.'

He was going to grab some of his half-finished source from me, but I never did hear back, so I'm guessing RL or other stuff caught up with him.

Yeah, it does that. I get into  a project and it sort of takes over my life if I'm not careful.

i'll see if I can have a dig through my hard drive before the weekend.