Author Topic: Want to help? Read this!  (Read 46676 times)

Offline livingforever

Want to help? Read this!
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »
Hi everyone!
In this thread you will find an overview of current tasks, who needs help with what and who is taking care of it; so if you want to contribute to this awesome project, take a look here first.

In order to share your work with us, simply reply in this thread or send a private message to the correspondent. Please always include the title of the task that you worked on.
If you want to announce your willingness to help, reply in this thread with the task title and your approximate schedule (so we know when you will be ready).

Discussion, design & concepts

TitleHot topic
DescriptionThe team is currently discussing combat and the battle engine.
ContributionHave something to say about it? Say it here!

TitleEnemy design
CorrespondentXela
DescriptionArena enemies are quite simplistic - so let's change that.
ContributionDesign unique encounters (keep in mind that inspiration is not equal to copying).
RequirementsKnowledge of what is possible and what is not

TitleSkill design
CorrespondentXela
DescriptionCurrent combat skills are all just fireball variations (functionality wise). We can do better than that!
ContributionDesign general, class- or character-specific abilities and implement them.
RequirementsCreativity, some Python skills

Content

TitleRetagging
CorrespondentDarkTI
DescriptionSince the adjustments of the existing tags, there are lots of packs that need to be adapted.
ContributionDownload the necessary tool and get an overview over the new tags here. You can then find some of the packs that need work here.

TitleEvents
CorrespondentXela
DescriptionPyTFall already has lots of possibilities to write events for characters, yet there are almost no events present.
ContributionAdd or write events for the game, either by being creative and coming up with a story, dialogues and objectives, or by implementing other people's ideas.
RequirementsCreativity and fluent English; Python skills are a plus

TitleCharacter dialogues
CorrespondentXela
DescriptionDialogues - both standard and character specific - are a constant work in progress - more options are never a bad thing.
ContributionWrite new or improved dialogues for various situations, especially for meeting a character in the city.
RequirementsCreativity and fluent English

Systems & implementation

There is nothing you can do!
Seriously though, this section currently doesn't have anything specific - but if you are a talented Python programmer we can definitely find you something to spend your time on!

Others

TitleFilling this post
AssignmentXela, DarkTI, CherryWood, Thewlis
DescriptionI definitely didn't catch everything here. It's on you to complete (or fix) this post!
ContributionSend me a private message with errors I made or tasks I forgot. Please include a title, a description of the task, a description of how you want others to contribute and requirements (if any).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:33:07 PM by Xela »

Offline Alengthyname

Re: Want to help? Read this!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »
Hey there,

I'm an amateur writer and college student, I've done a few short stories and am working on a longer thing at the moment. I remember seeing the development for the game awhile ago, and I just now stumbled back across the forums.

So here I am, if you folks need any help with writing those pesky events and dialogues I'd be happy to help. I'm also (sort of) able to program in python if that's needed as well.

Here's an excerpt from the thing I've been working most recently, it's a story about a guy coping with the death of his wife by hopping into alternate universes wherein the actions and memories of his other selves invade him. https://docs.google.com/a/ucsc.edu/document/d/1QUV4Hjy3diWNw9Fp2NsyWiXdqX2-0_LIYoENqNh59s4

I'm occupied Monday through Thursday 5-10 Pm PST and I've got a varied day time schedule, but I'm pretty much always available late night and weekends.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing back from you folks!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:02:15 PM by Alengthyname »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 03:49:59 AM »
Hello. If you want to help with writing, I could propose you to write game prehistory for a start. Our constants are: there was a really huge slave riot in the past; during it someone used a spell or a device that turned city surroundings into unstable in terms of space zone with monsters and stuff (that's where players can fight them and serch for items and other stuff); during the riot main character's father disappeared.
Other than that, you can write pretty much anything as long as it as cool as your story about that guy  :)
If you have more questions about the game world, ask me.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 04:43:44 AM »
http://www.pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=2125.0

Repo is here, you'll have to grab a couple of characters as well: http://www.pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=3401.0

At least one random character and maybe a unique pack like One Piece. If you decide to do that, I'll send you another 100MB file with character that are used in testing.

===
If you just want to write, Dark may suggest something specific, maybe I could as well but it's not easy to create content for a game you are not familiar with...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Baltazaar

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:38:47 AM »
Hello. If you want to help with writing, I could propose you to write game prehistory for a start. Our constants are: there was a really huge slave riot in the past; during it someone used a spell or a device that turned city surroundings into unstable in terms of space zone with monsters and stuff (that's where players can fight them and serch for items and other stuff); during the riot main character's father disappeared.
Other than that, you can write pretty much anything as long as it as cool as your story about that guy  :)
If you have more questions about the game world, ask me.

Since I am bored, be thankfull.

"It is the same dream. Some nights, you manage to chase it away by alcohol, some nights by drugs.

But it allways returns, like a bad memory.

You are ten again, and you hold your fathers hand. You have had this dream so often, and never once did it change.

Your father is mostly faceless, a giant next to your tiny form. You hold his hand, as you run. To the left, and to the right, people fall, fighting, to the ground. The bad people, that you nowadays know are slaves, but with your dream-self, you just see them as monsters. Monsters that jump on the back of the cotton candy merchant, and beat him with mugs. Monsters that have chains, and strangle the strong and nice people of the guard. Left, right, left....

Again, as every night, you dodge the swing of the saber, that a guard uses against the monster people, and cling to your father. You feel ashamed. You know you do not even remember anymore how your father looked.... You want to look at his face, but there is just this blank space. All you remember is his voice.

He tells you that the bad people have done something to the crystals that shield the city. They put too much math in them, and now they do not work right anymore.

Around the corner, more dragged then actually running, and your father changes into a warrior. You have vague memories of the man that allways sat behind strange machines, and who liked numbers. You had never expected that he could also, in one smooth motion, bash the teeth of a bad person in, grab his sword, and impale a second. He changed... Changed for you.
To protect you.

You are afraid, but also incredibly proud. My daddy protects me like this. he is not even military, he works directly for the city, and he kills people if I am in danger.

More and more people close in. Your daddy holds a hand up, and listens, and then drags you over to one of the warehouses.

he telkls you that it is dangerous, that you should go inside, and he would pick you up. You cry, hysterical, and out of mind,. You do not want to loose your daddy.

You see how he takes a key from a chain around his neck. It is strange, and a bit too big. he tells you, this is the key to the place where daddy went when it all was too much. he is sure he can trust it to you, because where daddy is going, he needs to be fast.

can he trust you, to keep the key untill he comes back?

A nod, and a whimper. You want to cry, want to tell hiom that you do not even remember his face anymore, just his voice, and his smell.... Want to beg him to at least tell you where he goes, so you know where to look for him. But all you can say is a whimper.

He hugs you one last time, and puts you in the basket, before he pulls you up to the fourth story. he waves to you, once you climbed in the storeage, and you can see that he is crying as well. Then, he turns around and runs.

This is the last time you saw him, you realize as you wake up and see that you cried again in your sleep. One day he was there, and the next day he was just gone. All that was left of him was his key, and that reoccurring dream.

You stayed up there for two weeks. Ate apples from the storage facility, while beneath, the slaves rerrected barricades. Slept up there, while the slaves dragged the former masters out of their houses, and strung them up on streetlamps. Stayed there, untill you heard the sound of the military retaking the area, and your uncle in there.

They called it a wonder. A child surviving one of the worst slave riots unharmed like that?

They took care of you, you remember, as you whipe the sleep and the saltiness of tears from your eyes. mascott, they called you. But sooin, it was clear, they were no family.

One more mouth to feed.

You lived on the streets for a year, before you could find out where your dads place was. a hut, full of his estoteric notes. You managed to sleep there, all alone, a beggar by day, a thief by night.

You realize that you still haven't given up hope. You know now that your father worked with magic. his notes are still here, in a locked wooden box, waiting for the day when he comes through the door, and wants them. It is the dream of a child, that has learned to trust no one. That has learned to grow up too quickly, that there are no handouts, no hero fathers, no rich relatives.... The dream that the one person you loved more then anything would one day come back, and allow you to be a child again. "

Fit as an intro story?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:39:05 AM »
Why yes, it's very good. I also like those vague hints about what happened and what was father's job.

Offline Baltazaar

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 07:03:52 AM »
Why yes, it's very good. I also like those vague hints about what happened and what was father's job.

I tend to suffer from periods of extreme boredom.

If you could wish for writing only, what would you need?

( I am talking, give me a checklist, ordered by importance, of what you would need. Then pray I do not finish it in under an hour. )

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 07:58:03 AM »
Let's see...
- MC's mother. Someone early proposed an idea that she was a slave and that she was either killed or sold out, since her owner wasn't MC's father. That's just an option though. Either you could come up with a better story where she disappeared much earlier than father, or you could try to write a similar scene for her, how MC remembers it.

- A story about the riot itself: how slaves prepared for it, what served as an occasion, how it was suppressed. From the viewpoint of city government, since slaves don't write official history.

- You could reveal more MC's history in terms of starting class. There are warrior, mage and casanova already. So you could write three very short stories about how he received the necessary knowledge and skills before beginning of the game.

- We assume that something during the slaves riot changed lands around the city, making monsters and stuff appear all the time. You could write a small story from the perspective of an outside observer how lands gradually changed.

Offline Baltazaar

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
Let's see...
- MC's mother. Someone early proposed an idea that she was a slave and that she was either killed or sold out, since her owner wasn't MC's father. That's just an option though. Either you could come up with a better story where she disappeared much earlier than father, or you could try to write a similar scene for her, how MC remembers it.

- A story about the riot itself: how slaves prepared for it, what served as an occasion, how it was suppressed. From the viewpoint of city government, since slaves don't write official history.

- You could reveal more MC's history in terms of starting class. There are warrior, mage and casanova already. So you could write three very short stories about how he received the necessary knowledge and skills before beginning of the game.

- We assume that something during the slaves riot changed lands around the city, making monsters and stuff appear all the time. You could write a small story from the perspective of an outside observer how lands gradually changed.

1. MC's mother: How she worked with his father.

His father and her mother used to be lovers. She was no exceptional beauty, but rather an average looking girl, but she was Kind to his father.

His father got to know her as a kitchen maid of his patron, an older lady of noble birth, who survived 3 husbands, and enjoyed making the world miserable.
The lady tried to ward of the inevitable, and more as a gag then as an honest hope, became a patron of a magical hopefull, the father.

In her Mind, even though she understood nothing of magic, it wouzld have been a great source of mirth if a young whippersnapper like the father was forced to bow to her wishes and had to try to fight her most alien enemy. Time.

The lady had used to be a famous courtesan, and tiome had left her mark in the ladies face. deep wrinkles, and hanging barren flesh where once there was beauty.

The father took an unusual approach, and straight out lied to her. There was no magic that was able to reverse time, so he focussed on reversing the negative effects of the aging process. Sport, fitness, lomng walks on the beach, the visiting of local courses of the university, and a lot of activity.

For a time, all was good. She terrorised her household with renewed force, made life a misery for everyone, and felt great doing so.

But her wish for pure companionship was not answered. Where were the men who had shunned her back then, who had been promised to her? Where were the galölant knights, the virile stallions, the noble professors?

One night, she called the father to her, and cuassed him ouzt. His treatment was a failure, her money was wasted, how dared he.... She was going to cut him off, ridicule him, sue the university.

he answered her hoinestly and straight. he could make her body work like a schoolgirls, he could make her mind run free and clear, but he could not make her soul beautifull enough to allow her wishes to be fulfilled.

Despite this being true, she could not give him the satisfaction of having won her over. So, she took his clotrhes, took everything she bought for him, and kicked him out on the street, to hovel and die. After all, he was a free man, had entered her services willingly, and had done everything to the custom. She could not enslave him, but roughing him up a bit was well within her priviledge.

A few month later, she discovered what had hapüpened behind her back. A servant girl, of presumably noble birth, that she had taken great pleaure in breaking and positioning in the kitchen, was pregnant. MC's mother.

In the time when his father worked in the ladies house, she took pleasure in seeing him grovel. he had to take the servants entrancxe, he had to eat in the kicthen, he had to bear the brunt of her temper... All that time, MC's mother had been looking out for his father.

When the Lady had beaten her father with a belt, because regrowing fallen out teeth was more painfull then she had presumed, MC's mother was there to care for the wounds.

When the Lady had cussed her father out for being an imvbecile, MC#s mother had been there, rebuilding his confidence.

And when his father had cried, because in four month of service to the lady, she had not said a single good word to him, and had even ridiculled him in front of his old costudiosi, it was MC's mother that very gently cared for him, and confessed her love for the man who was bespectacled, spindly, and too thin, but could do actual magic, a skill that was unknown where she was from.

So when she could no longer hide her pregnancy, the Lady found out. She sued the Father, who at this point had been entered in the city watch. After all, she reasoned, he had besmirched her property, had stolen from her, and thuis should be punished.

the father reacted very strange to her mind. Instead of grovbelling, bowing, or straight up fleeing, as she had expected, he came to her, and asked for her forgiveness. He was prepared to buy the servant girl from her, to stand in for the mistake he had made, and to even life from the hand in his mouth, if he could just make right for his wrongs.

For a second, the young, bespectacled man seemed like one of the knbights of old, and the lady felt intense jealousy.

No, she informed him, the servant girl was not for sale, as it was up to her to decide what to do with her....

But the child...

After a night of negotiating, they agreed on a carnal deed. he tried to negotiate his way out of this at first, saying his heart belonged to an other woman, to which she simply replied, "you want your bastard? Then shut up and stop complaining. "

There are many things an scorned woman can do to a man, and she knew them all. Half broken, half bleeding, he left the house the next morningm, having never ever taken the offers of the lady, "This can all stop, if you just walk away from the bastard. "

Then, at the night of the birth, he was there with her. held the hand of MC's mother, as she gave birth. Hugged her one last time. And then toojk his son with him, back to his room in the barracks, hoping that the boy would one day have it better then him. And despite the laws of the city, where someone born of a slave would also be a slave, he never told his son that he had been born unfree. he raised him as a free man.

2. The riot itself

Ten years later, after the father had worked his way up in the magical detatchment of the guard, he came across an ambitious project.

It was proposed to grow a magical barrier, that could be lowered and raised, allowing for enemies and friends to be seperated. small scale models had been built, and a grant had been established.

But there was an error. The Father, who had never officialölöy graduated from the magical university, did the calculations again, and found that the proposed crystal anchors of the shield would fracture under the pressure of this much magic.

Knowing full well what this would entail, he took the modell, his calculations, and his ten year old son, and went to speak to people. But everyone of importance, he was told, was near the colliseum.

there, he saw it was already too late. one of the big quzartz crystals began fracturing, as it was hit by the magic. knowing full well the damage this could do, he did the only sensible thing, and ran. Ran through the crowds of people, clutching his calculations, and his son.

knowing full well that a falling piece of crystal would act as a prisma, and send streams of magic into onlookers, he was not surprised when the first ones to give in where the slaves, whose wills had been broken. Their minds invaded by creatures from other dimensions, they fell into a murderous frenzy and beganm slaughtering themselves, their former masters, and all that they could get a hand of.

So, he did the most basic thing he could think off. Hide his son in the upstairs storeage attick of a Kontor, and hope for the best.

When his son was safe, he knew this was his one chance, to get the woman that he loved. With magic raining down on the city, he went for the epicenter, the broken crystal of the arena, knowing full well what he had seen there.

The carts and carrioages of the lady, who allways took her whole estate to see the games.

Knowing his son was safe, he set out to rescue trhe woman that he had loved, the only one that had ever been gentle and good to him.

Some reports say that shortly before the explosiion, as the first gates to other worlds formed, lots of people were seen slipping in those gates. It is not unthinkable that one of them may have been the father, cluthcing to mc's mother.

But after this, the crystals exploded, taking any chance away from people to react to the stories half grief stricken people tell themselves when they try to justify while their loved ones are no longer there, and why it still hurts so much.

"They are not dead, not ripped apart by magical forces... they may have just been flung in an other dimension, still looking for a way back. "

3. starting class story Warrior

After the incident, the first one to take you in was your uncle in the guard. With the aftermath, every hand was needed, even if the hand was just ten years old, and barely able to wield a stick, let alone a sword. You grew up amongst the guard of the city, making your way through the ranks. You had to deal with managing people, creating law and order, and more often then not, with the gates that suddenly appeared, and that could bring alien creatures bent on destruction.

You know only a life of being on constant alert. Night, day, it does not matter, everytime, it could be a situation that demanded you jumped up, grabvbed your weapons and armor, and were on the street in a matter of minutes, ready to take down what the gates brought you.

So, when you saved the daughter of a rich money changer, and he offered you a rich purse full of goldcoins as a thank you, you took your leave. After all, you aregued, this is not something you wanted to do for ever, and you were pretty sure that not risking your lives on a daily basis was also worth somnething.

major bonus: Better warrior skills. Your constant need to fight has fit you with hairtrigger reflexes, and an urge to conquer. You have fought everything, and have the confidence and the scars to prove it.

Minor bonus: better healing times. hard to kill. what jokingly was the motto of your unit became the slogan. The average time a person lasted was 3 month. You lasted allmost six years. Wheter it was luck, persistence, skill or just good friends, you know your share of healing, and of how to get injured people back to your feet. Anyone under your care could not ask for a better caregiver.

4. Staring class story rogue

Noone really wanted you, so you turned to a life of crime. pickpocket, burglar, hired muscle, goon, drugrunner... If there was money to be made, you had done it. You got pretty good at it, too, and got deep looks at all walks of the underground.

Towards the end of your career, you looked at running your own business. Sure, you had some money saved away, but what you really wanted was to run a small front.

major bonus: Attracts more customers. You have seen enough business from the indise to know why some fail. So when you do it, you do it just the way noone else does it. This attracts more customers.

Minor bonus: Money laundering. You advertise a special service that few understand. your fathers talent for numbers allows you to make a tiny profit by taking in some dirty crime money, and giving back clean, well off money from honest hardworking citizens. generates a tiny constant stream of moiney, and occasionally, a few extra problems.

5. Starting class story mage

The ones that wanted you after the incident was your uncle benjamin, that was with the university, and an old friend of your fathers. He taught magic for beginners at the university, and so, for the next six years, you became his protege. from whiping the blackboard to actually performing spelkls, you have done it all. benjamin often remarked that you had quite a talent for this, and often saw your father in you. He taught you well, and helped you get your degree.

When the old man died, a few years back, because a portal opened when he was looking for alraunes,  you were heartbroken. he left you little, but faithfully had put a percentage of every penny you earned into a purse.

The words still ring in your ear, as the day the lawyer read them.

"make your own mark into the world, and never forget, you have gotten farther then your father ever has... I can tell you, he would have been proud of you. "

major bonus: better magical skills.

Minor bonus: needs less sleep.

6. Starting class story cassanova

The lady that picked you up afterwards was old enough to be your grandmother, but as your father said, beggars can't be choosers. she took you in, and taught you hear trade. She used to be a courtesan, that made money, and now wanted to see if a man could do it as well. So, from the younbgest age, you were introduced to high society as a prodigee. You flirted with the bst of them, you learned to dance, and even more important, you made friends. Anbd bit by bit, ou saw what she saw.

It all was just a game. Move a piece here, an other piece there, and you have something.

So when you hit the jackpot, and an old lady actually left you some money, you were more then willing to stand on your own two feet, and Try to continue her game.

major bonus: Higher pay per customer, because you have several friends in higher places.

Minor bonus: Higher effectiveness of advertising.

7. Lore explanation: what actually happened?

very simply put, a comma error in the calculations, and the main structural crystal exploded. Even years later, the magical fallout around the city is mainly due to fragments of pieces of the original crystal raining down, catching some magic, and opening gates. The lowpoint of what came through the gates is the occasional girl, the highpoint is still held by the initial explosion, that allowed a major demon to manifest, and manipulate the weakwilled slaves.

The university, and the people responsible for the construction, decided to cover their collective asses, and paint it as a slave rebellion. slaves, as everyone knows, are liars and criminals, and deserve to be punished. Who would ever believe a slave? Wouldn't you also say that you were "compelled" to do something like this?

The truth is, even the most senior magicians do not fully understand why this happened. several of them however proposed an interesting thesis. What if the entity that was drawn into this world was still here? And all of the recent hardship was just the entity collecting energy, for what nefarious means it could think of...

Comments? Good/bad?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
Yes, this is very good. Could you write something about that crystal that is supposed to protect the city? How, from what, where it was, who created it?

Also, try to create (describe) MC father's friends who survived the riot and maybe used to help him in both science and battle. I believe such characters will be a great source of main quests.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:06:13 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Baltazaar

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
Okay.

The idea with the crystalk was very very simple.

6 crystals in total, arranged within a pentagram shape, with a single stone in the middle.

The basic idea was ( just spinning heere), that each crystal would serve , at the same time, as an anchor and a reporsitory for the spell.

The spell would literally, if the shield was down, hide the city completely. It was supposed to work like this:

Place an anchor in each corner, associated in color with the element of the quarter.

red for the element of blood and the quarter of the warriors and the meat market, a giant garnet sitting on top of the fortress tower.

blue for the sea and the water, in the fish disctrict close to the sea, a tourmaline  headstone for the lighthouse that guarded the entrange to the harbor

yellow for the money of the banking and the rich district, a beryl in the center of the watch of the guild hall.

green for the produce department, the farmers market, and the biog city park, a fistsized lump of jade sitting in the statue of the founder of the guild.

brown for the workers district, set in the highest belltower of the temple an imperial topaz

black  for the underground market, and the catacombs, the stone set in the corner of the cellar pof the slaveers guilds cellars, a single brick of pure obsidian

And white for the joy, fashioned as a ball, over the ampitheatre. .

As you may have imagined, white was the problem. with the stones being big and gaudy, the white stone was deemed to be the one where you could skimp. The original plans called for a diamond, but it was comunally ( read: while holding the wizzards guild down), decided that this one could be replaced with a quartz. After all, all that was important was the

The magic was supposed to do the following:

It would elevate the entire city in a sort of pocket dimension, so that the invading army would literally see an empty beach and a few streets, but no sings of life. small demonstrations made before were most wonderous., The members of the council were able to walk next to the warrior, flick his ear, and his blade just passed through them, barely able to even stay composite.

But with the break, it turned. The magic expended, the effects were reversed. each part of the quartz still had the originasl spell in it. all it neded was a source of magical energy, and it could open... not a pocket dimension, but a gate to an other dimension. A gate, for a few seconds only, but enough to bring all kinds of nasty monsters from associated planes to the city.

The creator of the original plans, a new wizard, had a series of unfortunate accidents which, purely coincidentially of fcourse, destroyed all his lab and his research, and the guilds just kept their silence. After all, who would miss a wizzard that was not liked?

They even build him a statue, to commemorate how sorry they were that such ajn important man went from them...

The fathers friends....

The wizard Speculees. a bespectacled tall man, that teaches introduction to magic in the local university. Excessively hairless and gaunt, his students nicknamed him "Doctor Death. ", for his uncanny resemblance to a living skelleton ( he suffers from bad genes, not from necromancy... Oh no, one should never even try necromancy, pure madness, I tell you. . He has a soft spot for the player, and for a bit of a bribe, can help out in the areas of magic, be it magical artifacts, a spell that needs to be cast, or a simple consultation. Years of being a grumpy old man ( he started at 18 years old) left him not well liked by the rest of the faculty, but his allmost japanese work ethic, and his proficiency left him untouchable. If you consult him, be aware: next to him, everybody is a wisecracking student, be it the dean of the university or a banker that needs a magical pen. He will treat you like an unruly student if you annoy him enough. Anyone who calls him doctor death to his face will get a fireball to the face. Yes, he bought that right years ago, and spends the yearly fee to renew it.

Eric Carstein, Militia officer. A picture of a man, a warrior of many battles, and old as sin, Carstein retired early, and was being kept on the payroill as the liaison officer for the militia regiment, that helps out the watch as well as the military. he enjoys his connections, and usually sits in his favorite coffe house, smoking thin cigarillos and drinking coffee with asonishing ammounts of scotch. If you need to get to know someone, from anyone, there is no better person then him. for a small fee, among friends, he will take a walk with you, and using his position, introduce you to anybody. If the "voluntary contribution to my retirement fund" is high enough, even to council members, heads of guild, and visiting dignitaries. Rumors that he looks back at a career of smuggling, and activities as a spymaster are of course very unfounded, and he pays well to know who says something like that about him...

Indira of the slavers guild. A classmate of MCX's father, she never had much talent for real magic, but was very artistic. She still holds a royal monopoly on magical tatoos, and has sold her services to the slavers guild. During the accident, splinters pierced her eyes, and left her blind. what she did then was unpreccedented, as she suddenly seemed to have two crystal spiders, that  apparently could act as her eyes, and as tatoo machines. Usually, she is a busy woman, but she has a soft spot for the MC, because she had an eye on his father back then, and seems to see that same something that attracted her in the young MC. If it is anything from the lightless underground you need, Indira is your woman.

Thanatos the bronze golem. A magical creature that is in the service of the traders guild, he stands roughly over 9 feet tall, and claims MC's father once helped him. he will not say what the debt was, or what happened, as this is between him and the father, but he is willing to help ozut, and scan the market for certain mundane items for the main character. It is unclear if he is male or female, but usualy, he prefers the neutral it as a pronoun. he enjoys occasionally going to the churches and temples, and trying out religion, just to be able to debate a few religious fanatics over if he has a soul or not.

The harbormasters assistant, just called Bryat. A broad, quiet, blonde man, that seems to be around a lot at night. h3 enjoys the rare company of unexpected visitors, and allways has some booze and some cookies for them. Nobody knows precisely what he does during the day, or where he sleeps, as he seems allways awake. a good listener, and a steady source of free food ( he seems to allways just have eaten, but please, no reason for you not to grab a bite...), he gains minor fame as the poor mans cleric, listening to a lot of problems, and giving advice. He has never been seen with a slave, and it is rumored that he has forsaken the pleasures of the flesh entirely. He claims he knew MVC's mother, and was the one that knew first of the budding love. why he helps is unclear, but he sometimes claims that destiny just seems to listen to him.

Reginald weathermary, game warden. He is one of the many head game wardens in the city, and a known traveller to the outsides. dressed head to toe in black, he is the owner of the cities fiercest racehorse, Scorpion, and of two black dogs, Gorca and Morca, Mastiffs of unusual size.
He spends his days in quiet solitude, raking th leaves, cutting the grass, and watering the flowers.
Should there however be something that needs being retrieved, or that has escaped, he respectfully files requests for an unspecified holy day off, sits on his horse, and leaves the city. It may be weeks, it may be months, but when he returns, he hads the requested object. People have said that he is one of the high assassins, but he does not even value this claim enough to give an answer. the curious thing is, despite recieving pay for his specialized set of skills as a retriever of lost objects, he allways seems to donate it to those in need. Why should he aquire wealth, why fame, why fortune, when he has all that he needs? he claims his father has once given him something he lost, and has never asked for any form of favor. IUt is famously known that he disappears whenever there is the slightest chance of mist. he claims if he had learned one thing, it is that he will never ever trust mist.

Miss Jennifer van Dryk, Junior partner of Dryk, Handover, Lionsmaw and Erasmus, daughetr of one of the founders of the best law firms in the city. Tall, red headed surrounded of suitors, a socialitee of a big calliber. She claims she is just very good at picking out her friends. During the veent, she claims she was rescued by the MC's father, something she never quite forgot.her and her father make a good team, and if there are law troubles, she can be expected to not be far away.

Need more, or different characters? is the length ok, or should I get into more detail?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 03:59:43 PM »
No,  length is perfect. I like the idea of exotic, unhuman characters like the golem. Try to come up with a bit more.

And try to do the same for villains, MC's enemies. Of course he doesn't know about them in the beginning of the game.
Would be cool to have charismatic, powerful ones. Powerful in terms of both connections and battle skills/magic.

Offline Baltazaar

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:41:24 AM »
No,  length is perfect. I like the idea of exotic, unhuman characters like the golem. Try to come up with a bit more.

And try to do the same for villains, MC's enemies. Of course he doesn't know about them in the beginning of the game.
Would be cool to have charismatic, powerful ones. Powerful in terms of both connections and battle skills/magic.

villans. In Pathfinder / ect, I allways treated the villains in my campaigns as a closely guarded secret. Like, you had a cabale, but untill the players got into the double digits, they never even so much as heard the cabals players names. It was just allways, the cabale.

Charismatic villain

Monsignori Firelli.

A tall man, with slicked back black hair, and looking tan, he is a sort of enigma. On the poolpit, he prays each sunday, like a clockwork, against the machinations of the evil ones, that turn his city in a sinkhole of hell. He is a law and order man, and he would rather set fire to his own family then to turn a blind eye.
The secret is, once he is asleep, an other firelli comes to the surface. Clad in a traditional venetial carneval mask, he wields two long silvery blades, and slaughters people. Whil most of the upper classes see him as a sort of vigilante, their "demon barber", the lower classes know more. they know the demon barber does not only cut all hair ( including the lower lying skin) from someones body, and seems to be allmost immune to wounds, he also targets all of them. No matter iof you take enjoyment in torturing your servants to death, or just stole an apple to feed your family, you better pray that you fall into the hands of the constabulary or the guard, because otherwiose, the demon barber will come and get you. he knows no mercy, knows no difference between man, woman, child, or severitry of guilt, all who end up before his knives are dead.
There is a standing bounty of 4 million pieces of gold for the group who brings in the head of the demon barber, preferrably attatched to the rest of the body. various organisations back the bounty, and with every incident where the demon barber kills, there are more who pitch in. Many have died, but still, the demon barber continues his crusade.
If firelli ever knew that he himself was the infamous slayer, he would not live an other day as he would kill himself to stop his evil deeds.

Battle villain

Lady Bryanne.

She is a werewolf, that has been living a comfortable life as a wife of one of the oldest guild masters of the city. Nobody dares to touch her, or even look at her strangely if she complains, but she is off, once per month, to lead her cult of mutants, that pray to the great unknown. Most of them have become adept at hiding in plain sight, and they are without count, but they are more or less inhuman. More then one adventurer suspected her to be in the center of an intrigue, to be used to put pressure on her husband, only to the disappear without a trace. You know how it is, how those adventurers are so terribly not reliable.

Inhuman villain

Toben the many is not a villan in the classical sense. Toben is a monster, or to be precise, a sickness that rode into the city on a single zombie. When Toben kills via his zombie hosts, they ressurect by themself as toben zombies. Toben Zombies are so dangerous because they have a sort of hive mind. The closer they are together, the more coordinated they become.
Everything the guard knows about toben is because last year, one of the zombies survived untill dawn. He told them, in the body of a fiveyear old, that he considers himself Toben the many. He would not give a clear why or how, he only was insistant on one thing: he killed the people at the masquerade because one of them had stolen a Toben zombie from his collection, and in tobens mind, that gave him all the rights in the world to collect their complete family, retainers, children and even the dogs.
Toben seems mainly content with scaring a few locals, but one things is clear. Toben claims he is able to percieve many worlds at once. And like a puppet master, he is able to transfer skills and knowledge that the person might have had in life from one of his zombies to an other one. The watch has adopted the inofficial protocoll to slaughter mercylessly each and every toben zombie, and adopted the protocoll of denying any knowledge about the incident.

Magical villan.

The black child.

Mostly, there are just stories about a child. A child that was able to go up to the most powerfull casters, and drain their magic away with a touch. A child that had black teeth, black gum, and black eyes. Not imposing in nature, but strange enough to warrant note.
Where he appears, he drags a patern of insanity behind him, and lost and broken mages, without a shred of magical energy. The clergy claims he has drained them of their souls, but they can not be sure.
This is what the magical community fears, a black child that eats thjeir magic like it was cotton candy, that can just walk through fireballs and for whom the mightiest attack spells they know are barely more then just plain tasty.

Good style of villains?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
We are also limited by sprites. Golems, zombies, werewolves, variuos humans and elfs, even most elementals are easy to find.
But when you give so accurate and uncommon description like the black child has, it already requires unique, custom sprite.

Offline Taroil

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to write an event using Nami (from the one piece pack of DarkTI).
Its based on Nami's treasure seeking trait with a twist.

The question I kinda had was is it oke?, i.e. nobody else doing something like it, etc

**: First time programming in python/ren'py but using the other events (like the frog one) as an example I should be able to write the code for most things.