Author Topic: Want to help? Read this!  (Read 46661 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Want to help? Read this!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »
The question I kinda had was is it oke?, i.e. nobody else doing something like it, etc

Yeah, it's great, especially if you want to do it yourself :)

**: First time programming in python/ren'py but using the other events (like the frog one) as an example I should be able to write the code for most things.

If you need help getting anything to work just right, let me know. There are boatloads of code in place to make modding easier like inserting events, overriding interactions, creating "meet for the first time events" and etc. that are not really documented anywhere.

I will also soon create a way to insert buttons to NPCs menus directly, it's just that noone really makes any unique content and Dark who is practically a one man army in that area is focusing solely on general content, not one for specific characters.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »
Even if you will be unable to make it work, I or Xela can code it. The important part is the story/quest/dialogues.

Offline Taroil

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »
Great,

Have quite a bit of experience in Java but python is quite a bit different, its oh so tempting to type ; at the end of ever statement.
For the things I really can't figure out in any decent amount of time, I'll leave some comments in the file so they aren't forgotten but there is just one question I have which is kinda important for the whole design.

Is it like possible to have like a quest started from within an event?
My event kinda works in this way that you have two possible ways of finishing it, while the first way is pretty forward.
The plan was to reveal the 2nd way only after a chance encounter.

Or is the way to:

1. kill old event ->
$ pytfall.world_events.kill_event("show_frog_gotgoods")

2. register chance encounter.
$ register_event_in_label("show_frog_final", locations=["forest_entrance"], trigger_type="auto", restore_priority=1, priority=300, start_day=day, jump=True, dice=100, max_runs=100)

3. finish up origional quest
$ pytfall.world_quests.get("Frog Princess!").finish_in_label("You've rejected the Frog Princess Quest! It's further fate is unknown.")

while keeping on using ->
$ pytfall.world_quests.get("Frog Princess!").next_in_label("Abby asked you to aquire another 10000 Gold for ingridients and an eye of a Goblin Champion.")
to keep the quest up-to-date?

Currently working on it, so its still a bit raw but here is a link to the current version:
http://we.tl/mXtckK91Gl

realized I got some errors in it, only the flowchart is pretty useful and could give a good idea about the quest.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:17:16 AM by Taroil »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 03:40:32 PM »
Both ways should be fine, I expect it's a matter of personal preference. I'll try to take a look at the event tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Taroil

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
Hi Again,

Largely completed the event, just some minor tweaking still need to be done.
Anyway for the first impression see the link below.

http://we.tl/SyaJRv8GwP

I'm a bit curious what you think. (Suggestions etc. are welcome)

Start is city_beach_right.
2nd part is in the forest.

Regards,

Taroil.

PS. wanted to update it a bit soon but was a bit busy.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
Well done. You should wrap it up, maybe add some a couple more options, longer progression and etc. if you want but if you're happy with it now, it'll do just fine.

I will have to fix a bunch of things on the technical side, there are not enough clear examples of similar event yet to draw from for a modder so I'll do this myself.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
Yeah, it's a great event, no complaints from me  :)
Feel free to make events for other one piece characters if you want to. Even if you made errors, we'll fix them. The idea is the most important part.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:06:53 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
There seems to be some discontinuity in the event as well that needs to be fixed first...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Taroil

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 04:16:04 PM »
Hi, Nice to hear you liked it.

As for the discontinuity, i'm guessing you mean the switch from talking to Nami to wanting to capture her. (As this depends on another random event)

I'm planning to add the option to investigate Nami's background once you have offered her a substantial amount of money (and got rejected). Allowing for a more direct flow into the capture event.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »
Oki, let me know when you've improved upon the event, I'll try to fix the tech side. Been looking into dizziness effects for Dark for the better part of the evening, there are too many good ways of getting that done :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
We are also limited by sprites. Golems, zombies, werewolves, variuos humans and elfs, even most elementals are easy to find.
But when you give so accurate and uncommon description like the black child has, it already requires unique, custom sprite.

Should that be added to the topics of attention/aid?

Custom sprites or artworks for unique central/side characters?

I'm new to the forum, but I look forward to contributing however I might.

Not to list my resume or try to come off as a hotshot, the following is simply an FYI:

- I currently have a degree in Digital Art and a Minor in Programming (mostly done in C, C++,  Java, and Js. I realize that this doesn't do you much good in developing this game, so I'll be learning Python asap).

- I have produced over 15 small scale solo games and a three larger scale games, all of which reviewed by game companies and critics and rated well (in some cases well enough to be purchased by said companies).

- Smallest group was 5, largest was 9.

Compartmentalization is a large part of project success. I'm not certain how many people you have committed to working on this project but here are few areas that you might like to consider adding to the help categories:

Sprite Artist (for unique characters)
       Image Engineer (producing or manipulating images to create jpg's and png's for unique characters)
       Writer (helps to develop unique dialogue for events and overall plot, Baltazaar seems to be doing a wonderful job so far)
       Debugger (goes through the code and attempt to find/troubleshoot existing bugs, seems that people are on this already)
       Archivist (goes through the code and interprets it, documents code (cleans up syntax), comments everything so that it is easier to alter in the future)
       SoundFX/BG (locates soundFX and background music for battle, buttons, locations, buying, paying, "working," etc.)
       UI Design (studies and alters user interface based on player feedback and other game interfaces, increase user satisfaction and system efficiency)
       Program Developer (programs game, usually also the debugger and archivist if the role is initially performed carefully and tactfully)
       Modder/Compiler (receives images, sprites, and script from writers, engineers, and sprite artist to compile packs of new characters to use for events and game use)
       Management (draws up and keeps track of progress reports, current, completed, and future objectives as well as tentative dates, project tracker and person nagger)
       Quality Control (goes over gathered assets (art, sprites, script, etc.) before implementation and denies or approves these assets for implementation, and also plays
                 game and notes bugs, typos, balance problems, inconsistencies, etc.)

I realize that you likely do not have a 1 for 1 ratio of people and roles and therefore the few people that you have are filling many roles. Question, how many people do you have committed to this project by the way?

"You think I CARE!?"
"Yeah, you're getting really angry about it."

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
Question, how many people do you have committed to this project by the way?

2 Active, 2 on and off. At this moment stable devs are I, Dark, Gismo and CW. You can check the repo readme file for roles but they are very general. Baltazaar been hanging around writing and providing ideas lately as well.

All and all we had around 30 people helping as at one point or another. Thewlis and Rudi contributed quite a bit of Code, Jaeke did insane amount of debugging before the initial Alpha release. SysReq (English Teacher) went over many of the text before the Alpha, Klaus submitted some texts for events. Xip rendered us a bunch of cool 3d backgrounds, someone helped us with retagging effort (Dark was dealing with him), there was a number of smaller code contributions and countless people provided ideas and suggestions. It's hard to keep track of everybody.

There is no point to assign people to specific roles in a project like this, it will never work because people usually have unstable hours, disappear without a trace, stay online and visit the forums regularly while not being able to contribute due to rl job/issues and etc. There is no point in organizing even the existing members, we all have been around long enough to know what to do if time allows us to contribute to the game.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »

There is no point to assign people to specific roles in a project like this, it will never work because people usually have unstable hours, disappear without a trace, stay online and visit the forums regularly while not being able to contribute due to rl job/issues and etc. There is no point in organizing even the existing members, we all have been around long enough to know what to do if time allows us to contribute to the game.

I completely agree. I actually wasn't suggesting that you try and get all your ducks in a perfect row right now. The project is so far along and it as you say, I wouldn't dare try to go back through everything and try to put it in what conventional methods consider "perfect working order." What you have hear is pretty much how I keep my room, an "organized mess." Sure it looks dirty, but I know that my 0.3 tech2 pencil is in the corner under a small pile of laundry and scrapped ideas that rolled off of the top of the overfilled trashcan. It seems a mess but most things, if not all things, are very well accounted for. I was only suggesting that perhaps some of the categories be listed in the help section so that people passing through might see more options, but only if you actually do need help in those areas. For instance, this child with the black smile and eyes requires a unique sprite and images, but if you decide not to go ahead with that idea asking for help on unique sprites and images isn't really necessary. I was suggesting more categories, not saying that you should go back over and compartmentalize everything. That would currently be a huge waste of time that could and should be used for development. I'm looking forward to the next release, so much so that I would have to knock my head on a wall several times had I suggested that you take time to reorganize your system.

I'd actually like to help with as many of these things as possible. Problem is, I'm on an extended road trip and won't be back home for two weeks. I am actually at a coffee shop for internet at the moment. Once I get back home and have my consistent and stable connection I'll be around to help as much as I can. If I come off as somewhat of a pretentious @$$hole you have my apology, it seems to be the nature of communication. I assure you I'd like to help, and make friends not enemies.
"You think I CARE!?"

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 05:56:51 AM »
I believe it's useless to give people tasks they don't want to do. If you want to help, tell us what you want to do, not what you can do. Then we'll tell you how you can help us.

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Makes sense, give me two weeks to get home and I'll see what I have to offer.

In the mean time I'll be looking through the issues on git and the current roadmap to get a better feel for what I might best be able to contribute.

If there is anything of notable priority art wise I'm most interested in that. I can program and write, but I prefer most graphics oriented objectives. If you would kindly point me in the right direction for any art-related needs you might have, I'd like to help with those first and foremost.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:48:26 PM by Pseudononymous »
"You think I CARE!?"