devolution

Author Topic: Occidental names: from Abby to Zoey  (Read 4930 times)

Offline LordShame

Occidental names: from Abby to Zoey
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
I recently realized that the Japanese names for random girls were kind of a minor irritant. Not because they're not beautiful names, but simply because I have dificulty keeping track of them. I guess my brain's just not wired for it. It's even harder now that the girl list can be sorted and I can't rely on their order anymore.

So I went through babynames.com and picked out a bunch of mostly-western girl names, 463 to be exact. It's about half the default name file's size, but there's much less "Nijika/Nijiko/Nijimi/Nijino/Nijiyo" in it, if you know what I mean.  ;)

Of course, it's all personal taste, and there might be some dissonnance on account of all the Japanese-style art in the game, but hey, if you're interested, there you go. Just open your "Resources\Data\RandomGirlNames.txt" file in a text editor and paste in the contents of the "names.txt" file I've attached below. You can leave the default names as well if you want to. The files are simple text with each name on a single line so it should be hard to mess this up.

Offline sgb

Re: Occidental names: from Abby to Zoey
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
This is extremely welcome.  I'm going to mix the two files together and trim the overly similar names, giving the best of both worlds.

Offline sgb

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »
Here's a combined and trimmed names file.  Basically I went through and deleted most of the nearly identical names, names that were too awkward for me to pronouce, names that didn't really fit at all (there were some obvious stripper names, like 'Candy' and such; nobody names their kid Candy even in the world of Whoremaster  :o ), and names I just flat out didn't like (A matter of opinion of course, but too bad it's my file).  I'd guesstimate the net result is 75% of Lordshame's new list, and about 25% of the original list.  It's been tested and verified to be working.  As always, backup your old file in case you don't like it.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »
I will download your file and add the name Candy until I get a spawn called Candy and of course make her a "dancer"
"
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:15:42 AM »
nobody names their kid Candy even in the world of Whoremaster  :o

Short for "Candace?"

Offline LordShame

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 01:43:25 AM »
Eh, I admit, quite a few on my list are stripperific, but I figured some of these girls don't want to be known by their real names either. Whatever floats your boat, though.  ;)

Offline sgb

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
It's all good.  Like I said, I modified it for myself and figured I'd share it since the work was already done.  The only reason I don't like those names is because I use a lot of different random girl types in my game.  It just doesn't fit for some of them, and it's a pain to go into the save file and change a name you don't like; so I just removed any problematic names from the equation.  As with any content I upload, feel free to modifiy it as you like.