Author Topic: Random Girl Name Slurry Pack  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
Random Girl Name Slurry Pack
« on: May 30, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »
I figured it would be nice to have a really huge number of available random girl names, so I hunted around a bit through Google to look for some. I found a website with a huge number of girl names available which I created this list from.

There are 5188 names here, some of them admittedly rather odd (they seem to be taken from most currently spoken languages in the world), and some of them variations of the same name. Still, variety is the spice of life, eh?

Offline sgb

Re: Random Girl Name Slurry Pack
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:03:57 PM »
Speaking of 5188, the first name in the list is 5188.  Sucks to be that girl  :D .

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
Speaking of 5188, the first name in the list is 5188.  Sucks to be that girl  :D .

That's the name count for the file, used by the game to know how many lines to read. ;)

Offline sgb

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »
Eh?  The list Lordshame and I used in the thread below didn't have this, and they seem to work fine.  Are you sure it's actually required with the 1.30 engine?

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
I've checked in the code and you're halfway right. The count is no longer actually needed (though it exists in the default name pack), but it does skip over the first line of the file when reading it. So if the first line of your RandomGirlNames.txt is actually a name, that name will never show up in the game. My file above on the other hand should work exactly as intended.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:42:52 PM by Dagoth »

Offline sgb

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »
Ah, I see.  Not a big deal, but I guess I might as well put in a number in the first line of mine as well.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »
Well, as you discovered, the number isn't really needed... you should be able to put whatever you like there on the first line, such as "This random girl name list is by user x" or "THIS LINE IS RESERVED" or something like that. :)

Offline crazy

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:27:37 PM »
so does the game reuse random girl names or after it runs out does it just stop making random girls?

Offline sgb

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
It doesn't 'run out' AFIAK, it picks a random name every time even if it duplicates an existing one.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
It randomly picks a name, then checks to see if the name is already used, and if so it picks another random name. It does this 5 times, and if it still doesn't have an unused name at that point it will just go with the last one it picked.