Author Topic: New City: Abby's Prospect (Speculative)  (Read 14071 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
New City: Abby's Prospect (Speculative)
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:18:02 AM »
I'm opening this thread at the request of exodia91 following on from a discussion in New Features.

The plan is to some features to the game to enable modders to write new screens, and ultimately new cities for the PC to dominate.  To this end I want to add XML interface files; the ability to add user defined graphics, buttons and screens; and Lua scripting so you can attach scripts to buttons.

For a proof of concept, I plan to do a city mod called Abby's Prospect using my steampunk interface mod as a starting point.

Abby's Prospect is a trading city which has come to attract some of the more scientific elements among the refugees that wind up stranded in Mundiga. Like Crossgate, the city has a strong criminal element, although the gangs don't rule to quite the same extent.  There are civil authorities to consider, as well as the remnants of the demon worship cult that once ran the city, back in the days when it used to trade directly with Hell.

The city's scientists and inventors were first encouraged to settle here in the hopes that the well known antagonism between science and magic might help keep the cult from re-establishing itself. It's a strategy that's been successful. Up to now, that is. If the player wants to control the city, he's going to need to involve himself in a struggle between magic and science, and Heaven and Hell.

I want to stress that, at this time, this is speculative. I need to code up some new features for the game to enable all this, and until I get that done, nothing is going to happen as regards the mod itself.

Offline Savagefrog

Re: New City: Abby's Prospect (Speculative)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:47:43 AM »
Sounds very interesting.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:19:32 AM »
What exactly are you trying to do with this just expand the current map with another location (with like a button to travel there)
or are you trying to make a completely new story separated from the first one
or are you just trying to see what limit you can push this program  to (mechanic wise)
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »
What exactly are you trying to do with this just expand the current map with another location (with like a button to travel there)
or are you trying to make a completely new story separated from the first one
or are you just trying to see what limit you can push this program  to (mechanic wise)

B and C, I think. I want to expand the moddability of the game almost to the point where it's possible to make total conversion mods. And then to show it works, I want to tell another story - sort of "OK, you won in Crossgate, have a go with another city where the rules are a little different."

It all basically grew out of playing with the UI mod and thinking "it would be cool if we could do such and such...". I wanted to be able to add images; I wanted to be able to add my own buttons; and I wanted to be able to write scripts and attach them to buttons.

And if we can do all that, it's a small step to writing whole new screens and potentially making a Counterstrike to WM's Half-Life. Or a whole lot of them, even, since I doubt I'll be the only one making mods.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:33:18 AM by DocClox »

Offline EternalEquinox

• I read the internet....twice
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
I was reading the conversation between you and exodia and i think this will be rather interesting to see what you come up with. The idea of going to other towns allows room to grow. Now it might seem a bit cumbersome, but in the future it will be welcomed. With necro make all those new jobs. You could potentially set up some sort of trade feature, or only certain girls or items appear in certain towns. the possibilities at that point become vast

Offline letmein

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
So long as this doesn't creep into the original game, I like it.
Still lurking.

exodia91

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 10:19:43 PM »
if this creeped into the original game, it would never be finished

Offline letmein

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:26:56 PM »
Exactly.  And I'm always steadfast against more complications...  and this would be an (in my view) unnecessary complication added.  That's fine for a mod - it's basically what most mods are about, really - but for the base game, no.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 03:40:33 AM »
Don't worry: It's a mod :)

Offline letmein

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:56:49 AM »
Good...   ;)

That being established, what exactly is your goal here?  Is this basically just WM with some new graphics, or will there be concrete changes in other aspects of the game?
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 02:27:55 AM »
That being established, what exactly is your goal here?  Is this basically just WM with some new graphics, or will there be concrete changes in other aspects of the game?
Definitely changes beyond simple graphics.

This isn't so much a stand alone mod as a demonstration of the modding extensions I want to implement. So there are going to be different mechanics to the game. New screens, new events,  hopefully a more structured storyline than the main game can manage. Think of Doom and Doom2 (or Fallout and Fallout 2). Basically the same engine, but different content.  What I want to do is separate engine and content a little better so anyone so inclined can do the same to WM.

Offline Alienhand

• Beware....
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
First of all, I kinda like your idea till now, it sounds really great you know, especially because your plannig to create a mod out of it and not going to change the maingame itself.

Definitely changes beyond simple graphics.
So there are going to be different mechanics to the game. New screens, new events,  hopefully a more structured storyline than the main game can manage. Think of Doom and Doom2 (or Fallout and Fallout 2).

You know, when I'm thinking of Doom, or even a better example, Fallout (especially the third part) I'm thinking of a playable maincharakter. I know you where talking about the story but I wonder if it maybe would be possible to add something like that? Of course not like doom with walking around and such (were not playing a shooter here, right? ^^) , but maybe with learning or training stats to make it easier to train your girls in a special way (thinking of bondage, sex, obedience, whatever) or to get easier more influence in the city or something like that... I know it sounds kinda weird 'couse its nearly like one of those tons of simdate RPGs out there (and I think we don't really need more of them ^^ or even want to change this great game in this way), but I was only thinking of it as an addition to that what you are planing to make.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
First of all, I kinda like your idea till now, it sounds really great you know, especially because your plannig to create a mod out of it and not going to change the maingame itself.

Hopefully, it'll be the first of many, and we'll see other city mods appearing, each with their own theme and local rules. Got to get that scripting working first though ...

... maybe with learning or training stats to make it easier to train your girls in a special way (thinking of bondage, sex, obedience, whatever) or to get easier more influence in the city or something like that...

The notion of PC stats has been kicked around a couple of times. I generally like the idea, but it's way down on the todo list at the moment. Still, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »
Well, the player already has stats like the girls have, it is just nothing is done with them.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I didn't know that. I suppose some sort of self improvement activity is that much easier in which case.

Of course, we need to sort out some sort of schedule for the PC first. Something beyond the interact menu button, that is. What's he got at the moment? 10 actions. 5 morning and 5 evening if we say Crossgate works on 5 day weeks. Would help for the girls too, since they seem to top out at around 10 actions a shift, which would mean they get to shag 2/day/shift if they're really good. (seems a little low, but it's only a game, after all).

Be useful to do because pretty soon we're going to need to start resolving conflicts for resources between the girls. Which could lead to a lot of fun, I can't help thinking...