devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived --> (Items Concept)  (Read 76241 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Items Concept
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 06:31:03 AM »
We will need another backgroung for equipment doll, or simply do not delete yellow background when items are equipped. Many of items are hard to see on a black background.

I'll take a look at it, current screens are mostly for testing purposes only. Most/all would have to be improved.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 05:35:44 AM »
First of all, on equipment doll body slot probably should be larger than others. It's strange to see boots with the size of a whole dress.
I guess weapon slot should be larger than small weapon slot as well.

Secondly, I just tried to create an item with sex = 'Male' field, and the testing girl was able to equip it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »
Code: [Select]
[quote author=DarkTl link=topic=1883.msg21088#msg21088 date=1371807344]
First of all, on equipment doll body slot probably should be larger than others. It's strange to see boots with the size of a whole dress.
I guess weapon slot should be larger than small weapon slot as well.
[/quote]

I am planning to put some time into development tonight and during the weekend but do you mean that we should improve that screen now or in the future (when we purposefully start designing screens)?

[quote author=DarkTl link=topic=1883.msg21088#msg21088 date=1371807344]
Secondly, I just tried to create an item with sex = 'Male' field, and the testing girl was able to equip it.
[/quote]

There is a safeguard in place but field should be [code]sex = 'male'
. I've added another redundant warning screen pop up just in case. If you want, I can flip string to Male in the code or have checks against both male and Male. Otherwise, just use Replace all in text editor.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:58:48 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 07:55:19 AM »
I see. Well, I can live without it, but since you position the game as easy for modification and improvements, double checks for Male and male, Female and female, Unisex and unisex won't hurt.
On the other hand, if there will be items editor for end-users eventually, it's not necessary.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 08:09:01 AM »
I see. Well, I can live without it, but since you position the game as easy for modification and improvements, double checks for Male and male, Female and female, Unisex and unisex won't hurt.
On the other hand, if there will be items editor for end-users eventually, it's not necessary.

Ok, SF Updated again, game simply changes 'Male' to 'male' and so on.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
And body slot is done. Maybe we'll need much more purely male clothes though. Or maybe not, this game is about female characters, after all.
Next and last one (for now) is weapon.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
And body slot is done. Maybe we'll need much more purely male clothes though. Or maybe not, this game is about female characters, after all.
Next and last one (for now) is weapon.

Awesome, well done :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
To solve the problem with different ways of writing the same word (male, Male, MALE, or typos like MAle), our parser could just convert every string into lower case before it hands it over to the game. That way we don't have to code in exceptions for every word.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »
To solve the problem with different ways of writing the same word (male, Male, MALE, or typos like MAle), our parser could just convert every string into lower case before it hands it over to the game. That way we don't have to code in exceptions for every word.

True, but it is a possibility that there are fields that depend on capitals (Desc would be an obvious example). I don't expect there to be that many problems with this issues.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
While I tested items during their creation, I've already tired of current sorting interface where you have to flip through several categories each time you go to inventory to equip one single item.
I think we will need buttons for more quick sorting.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:11:06 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
While I tested items during their creation, I've already tired of current sorting interface where you have to flip through several categories each time you go to inventory to equip one single item.
I think we will need buttons for more quick sorting.

Ok, guess I'll have to improve that screen even for testing purposes :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
I guess you could say that pre-alpha is ready, 290 items totally.
I've found better icons for some of them, but there is a limit to what I can do. I mean some boots, gloves and gowns that look too realistic on icons (because they are real in the first place) compared to other items. I guess we need someone skilled in photoshop to "fix" them.

A few words about types fields.
While weapons will need them for BE, and right now they have pretty random types, other items will use it for better autobuying/autoequipping algorithms.

Consumables have four types: 'restore', which restore health or something else, or remove bad effect, they are perfectly safe in any case; 'upgrade', which give temporary or very little permanent bonuses to stats, for example make ups; 'permanent', which give or remove traits permanently or give huge bonuses to stats, we have to restrict access for girls to them; and 'food', which cheap and give very little temporary bonuses or slightly restore health or something else.
I expect 'drugs' in in the future, and maybe 'alcohol'.

Miscs have three types: upgrade, restore and permanent, with a similar classification.

Gloves, boots and armor/dress slot have three types: 'armor', 'dress' and 'other'. Other is item that neither armor (protects in combat) nor dress (=gowns and parts of gowns), ie just items with bonuses to various skills.

The next stop is location name field, ie shops and dangerous locations where you can obtain all these items.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »
I guess you could say that pre-alpha is ready, 290 items totally.
I've found better icons for some of them, but there is a limit to what I can do. I mean some boots, gloves and gowns that look too realistic on icons (because they are real in the first place) compared to other items. I guess we need someone skilled in photoshop to "fix" them.

A few words about types fields.
While weapons will need them for BE, and right now they have pretty random types, other items will use it for better autobuying/autoequipping algorithms.

Consumables have four types: 'restore', which restore health or something else, or remove bad effect, they are perfectly safe in any case; 'upgrade', which give temporary or very little permanent bonuses to stats, for example make ups; 'permanent', which give or remove traits permanently or give huge bonuses to stats, we have to restrict access for girls to them; and 'food', which cheap and give very little temporary bonuses or slightly restore health or something else.
I expect 'drugs' in in the future, and maybe 'alcohol'.

Miscs have three types: upgrade, restore and permanent, with a similar classification.

Gloves, boots and armor/dress slot have three types: 'armor', 'dress' and 'other'. Other is item that neither armor (protects in combat) nor dress (=gowns and parts of gowns), ie just items with bonuses to various skills.

The next stop is location name field, ie shops and dangerous locations where you can obtain all these items.

You'd have to categorize all of that in a solid concept before someone starts coding auto-buy/equip methods, but it all looks really good.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
Shouldn't we first approve the list of all available occupations and jobs, at least until version 1.0? If you'll decide to add some new jobs and occupations, it will seriously affect the concept I want to use.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
Shouldn't we first approve the list of all available occupations and jobs, at least until version 1.0? If you'll decide to add some new jobs and occupations, it will seriously affect the concept I want to use.

Ok, after 1.0 then. I doubt there will ever be a definitive list of jobs, game will be easier to expand as I get better at programming. This is the first time I ever code something other than some logical textbook exercise or tic-tac-toe and it feels like I'm learning new things and better ways on daily basis.
Like what we're doing?