PyTFall > PyTFall: General information

<-- Archived -->

<< < (3/9) > >>

rudistoned:
Thank you so much for mentioning the system python installation! The game runs now :-)

What I did:

Remove my Python 2.7 install from the system PATH.
Rename the C:\Python27 folder, so the python executable would not be found easily.
Rename the C:\Python26 folder, so the python executable would not be found easily.
Redownload renpy and unzip it.
Move my fresh clone of the repo into the renpy folder.
Launch renpy via renpy.exe

So the problem definitely was one of my two Python installations. That's very strange IMHO, as renpy brings it's own python interpreter AFAIK. Even stranger, I undid changes 1-3 (added Python 2.7 to the system PATH again and renamed the python folders to their original names), but I can't reproduce my original error now. It seems to me that renpy, possibly on first startup, checks if the system provides a python interpreter and only uses its own if no system installation of python can be found.

In any case, thank you so much for you help and also for this thread. I already saw the changes you made in the OP regarding IRC and will /query you the next time I'm there :-)

@Xela
Sorry, but I'm sure the system python installations were the problem. I used the exact same repository that produced said AttributeError after I renamed my python folders and removed it from the system PATH and it suddenly worked. Maybe the problem was that I had two Python versions installed (2.6 and 2.7) or maybe having the python folder and the Scripts subfolder in the system PATH is a problem for renpy. Both are non-default situations, but I would expect that both are common for many python devs.

mijh:
I have a python 2.7 in my system path and renpy.exe works fine. I'm pretty sure the exe is hardwired to use renpy's python, which is in lib\windows-i686

But I'm pretty sure whenever you try to do something technical, and it works absolutely perfectly the very first time, somewhere in the universe 1000 kittens cry out in painful deaths to restore the imbalance of karma thereby created. So, at least you didn't kill 1000 kittens.

rudistoned:
@mijh
That's what I would expect.

But how do you explain what just happened here?

UPDATE: Yeah, good for me  :D

Xela:
Well, all's well that ends well but I am sure that RenPy uses it's own Python cause it rigged with PyGame that RenPy requires to run. Anyway, as long as everything's working.

PS: I've started turning jobs into classes btw, improving them in the meanwhile. So we don't start working on exactly the same thing.

VyridianD:
Odd question here, once you've cloned the code, what's the file you direct renpy to? All 3 .rpy files in the base pytfall directory (screens, options, script) all are not understood by the program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version