Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3816929 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #600 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:14 AM »
How about more complex randomization of items in shops? For example, in WM you don't even need to go to the next week, simple save/load is sufficient for changing the assortment, and that's means you can immediately buy anything you want if you have enough money and patience.

Ok, so basically locked shop inventories, maybe even for several days at a time. Kinda same thing we have in school and girlsmeets?

The same items (at least consumable) should be placed in one slot, like 100 healing potions in one slot rather than 100 slots with one potion in each. Many games, including commercial, have this mistake.

Good point as well, I just need to figure out how to make this look decent on screen. Also if we're gonna make items stackable, we should do that to all items, not just consumables.

How are you going to handle spells/skills? Will they be on sale in some special shops?

I actually forgot about spells and attacks, I'll add that to items as well...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far I have:

Should modify min/max/current values of all stats.
        Should have a description.
        Should have an icon.
        Should add/remove traits.
        Should add/remove battleskills. (Also attack skills may actually depend on the item equiped (or lack thereof) like 'Slash' with sword or 'Stab' with dagger...)
        Should have duration (for temporary effects).
        Should have price.
        Should have 'type' or 'slot' like weapon, clothing, make-up or consumable.
        Should have a list of locations where it is possible to acquire the item (like script, catacombs, forest, specific shop etc.)
        Should have a chance to acquire the item (where it's applicable)
        Should have some form of 'chance' for girl to buy the items while shopping. Like how good the item is for the girl.

- Items should be stackable.
        - Shops should have locked inventories to be restocked once in 'x' number of days.

Anything else?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #601 on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »
Also if we're gonna make items stackable, we should do that to all items, not just consumables.
Maybe. Does player (and/or girls) have unlimited inventory?
I mean, in many games player has quite limited inventory and some kind of storage with unlimited or at least much larger inventory. So if any item is stackable but player's  inventory is  limited, it's kinda counterproductive.

I actually forgot about spells and attacks, I'll add that to items as well
I'm not forcing you or something. Selling spells and skills is the easiest way, but not the most interesting.
We could also use schools or special items (like in FFT, if you ever played it; you need to equip item and carry it for some time, eventually you will learn some skill), or even skill tree.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #602 on: April 24, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Maybe. Does player (and/or girls) have unlimited inventory?
I mean, in many games player has quite limited inventory and some kind of storage with unlimited or at least much larger inventory. So if any item is stackable but player's  inventory is  limited, it's kinda counterproductive.

I favor the unlimited inventory approach...

I'm not forcing you or something. Selling spells and skills is the easiest way, but not the most interesting.
We could also use schools or special items (like in FFT, if you ever played it; you need to equip item and carry it for some time, eventually you will learn some skill), or even skill tree.

Well, one step at a time :)

We can make items more expensive than events or schools for battle magic skills. It's not hard to code in 'special' items like you've described in FFT as well but it will be a part of next day method of sGirl class so we can always add that later.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #603 on: April 24, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
Anything else?
Well, I'm reading WM Items.itemsx file now. It has such strings as Rarity (the likelihood of a sale in the shop), Infinite (whether this item stock is limited or not; simple things like basic healing potions should be available all the time), Badness (reactions of a girl to this item as a gift).

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #604 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
Well, I'm reading WM Items.itemsx file now. It has such strings as Rarity (the likelihood of a sale in the shop), Infinite (whether this item stock is limited or not; simple things like basic healing potions should be available all the time), Badness (reactions of a girl to this item as a gift).

Rarity and Badness I've covered in the list but Infinite I forgot about...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #605 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
Hm, you mentioned "Should have some form of 'chance' for girl to buy the items while shopping", which is GirlBuyChance string in WM. Reaction to gift is different thing and different string. Buy some flowers or a pair handcuffs and get them as a gift from someone are two different things, after all  :D

What about things like drugs or maybe alcohol? I guess their acquisition is based on other mechanics since it depends on girl's mood and traits.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:07:28 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #606 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »
What about things like drugs or maybe alcohol? I guess their acquisition is based on other mechanics since it depends on girl's mood and traits.

That's doable.

Hm, you mentioned "Should have some form of 'chance' for girl to buy the items while shopping", which is GirlBuyChance string in WM. Reaction to gift is different thing and different string. Buy some flowers or a pair handcuffs and get them as a gift from someone are two different things, after all  :D

I never understood 'reaction to gift' since PCLove/Hate can also be changed by any item. So if handcuffs are bad for a girl in PyTFall, you simply lower disposition and with flowers you add to the disposition, what's the point of writing extra methods for it?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #607 on: April 24, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
I never understood 'reaction to gift' since PCLove/Hate can also be changed by any item
Ah yes, indeed. Somehow I never thought about it.
I didn't explore WM code closely enough, but if I remember correctly, it also has something to do with girl's preferences when she decides what item to equip.

However, while masochist or sadist would enjoy handcuffs, others, at best, remain indifferent.
So ideally some kind of good/bad traits string should accompany any item. Unless it will be too complicated for game mechanics.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:33:00 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #608 on: April 24, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »
Ah yes, indeed. Somehow I never thought about it.
I didn't explore WM code closely enough, but if I remember correctly, it also has something to do with girl's preferences when she decides what item to equip.

However, while masochist or sadist would enjoy handcuffs, others, at best, remain indifferent.
So ideally some kind of good/bad traits string should accompany any item. Unless it will be too complicated for game mechanics.

Hmm, ok, never thought about Auto-Equipping either :)

It shouldn't be to difficult, I'll definitely give it a try.
Like what we're doing?

Offline FlamBurger

• I need to stop lazing about so much.....
« Reply #609 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
Ok Xela I got a few things running in my mind and I'll see if I can work on some things in the upcoming weeks. It's like I got a brain rush or something... :D
The whole region of Crossgate will be my playground....
Our playground....
The whole freaking world guys....
Crossgate Chronicles?? Yup it's that bad....
I'll still chug on! Plus, The Crazy Team is really doing a good job on this game.
https://mega.nz/#F!A55jWSpT!P-1Lw1-kNxiBfelAH24Kvg My Packs

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #610 on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
Ok Xela I got a few things running in my mind and I'll see if I can work on some things in the upcoming weeks. It's like I got a brain rush or something... :D

Awesome :)

-----------------------------------------------------
I am adding a couple optional fields as well. Since hero will be a part of the game, some items should be specifically blocked for him so I am adding an optional block. Also effects, like poisoned or pregnant... they can be pushed to traits in design but it feels like that should be a separate argument.

So...

So far we have:

Should modify min/max/current values of all stats.
        Should have a description.
        Should have an icon.
        Should add/remove traits.
        Should add/remove battleskills. (Also attack skills may actually depend on the item equiped (or lack thereof) like 'Slash' with sword or 'Stab' with dagger...)
        Should have duration (for temporary effects).
        Should have price.
        Should have 'type' or 'slot' like weapon, clothing, make-up or consumable.
        Should have a list of locations where it is possible to acquire the item (like script, catacombs, forest, specific shop etc.)
        Should have a chance to acquire the item (where it's applicable)
        Should have some form of 'chance' for girl to buy the items while shopping. Like how good the item is for the girl.
        Should be a 'badness' field but I still don't get how is that different from shopping chance? Why would a girl buy something she doesn't want to wear/consume?
        Should be a list of good/bad traits as an option for every item.
        Should be an optional field preventing item to be equipped by the hero.
        Should be an optional field to set item to 'Infinite' inventory in the shops.

- Items should be stackable.
        - Shops should have locked inventories to be restocked once in 'x' number of days.

Anything else?
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #611 on: April 24, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Anything else?
looks ok to me.
Only thing I would personally like to avoid is girls buying personality changing items on they own, that annoyed me in WM a little.
-----
btw, after editing a lot of images for girls and thanks to few difficult (to my level at least) sprite requests from DarkTl, I believe I improved a bit at photoshop/gimp, so if anyone of you need something edited, maybe I can give it a try until we have a real graphic

Offline FlamBurger

• I need to stop lazing about so much.....
« Reply #612 on: April 24, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
Yeah it does make sense that a girl doesn't get an item that she don't like. Are you going to make the items have multiple categories and if they have too many things the girl doesn't like about that item it's less likely that she will get it?
The whole region of Crossgate will be my playground....
Our playground....
The whole freaking world guys....
Crossgate Chronicles?? Yup it's that bad....
I'll still chug on! Plus, The Crazy Team is really doing a good job on this game.
https://mega.nz/#F!A55jWSpT!P-1Lw1-kNxiBfelAH24Kvg My Packs

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #613 on: April 24, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »
looks ok to me.
Only thing I would personally like to avoid is girls buying personality changing items on they own, that annoyed me in WM a little.

Well, that's for items designer to consider? Simply setting 'badness' at 100 would make sure girl never buys/equips the item? Or I can make sure girl will never Auto-Equip/Auto-Consume Trait changing item. That will ensure it would never happen BUT at the same time will prevent a girl from ever buying items that might heal scars for example.

btw, after editing a lot of images for girls and thanks to few difficult (to my level at least) sprite requests from DarkTl, I believe I improved a bit at photoshop/gimp, so if anyone of you need something edited, maybe I can give it a try until we have a real graphic

Editing is a lot harder than removing backgrounds but you can design GUI interface if you want to learn more about graphics design.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #614 on: April 24, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
Yeah it does make sense that a girl doesn't get an item that she don't like. Are you going to make the items have multiple categories and if they have too many things the girl doesn't like about that item it's less likely that she will get it?

Girl will equip items based on a combination of 'badness' factor from 0 - 100, traits and obviously stats.
Like what we're doing?