devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3817058 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2175 on: March 12, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
CW's post just keep disappearing! It's like magic  :D

Done for the night... somehow took longer than I expected but I've also been watching some cr#p in the background.

SF Updated:

- Improved peevish event
- Added Music and Sound mute to options
- Added Music+Sound mute to the topbar
- Couple new styles

Edit:

Peevish will now also teach magic to girls that player takes with him (on team). And I just realized that I forgot to style that :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:45:07 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2176 on: March 12, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
Hurray, a working sound button.

:)
This could be the end ...

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2177 on: March 13, 2014, 12:46:04 AM »
btw. tags really needs some more adjustments in the future
Yup. If you going to make some new packs, don't tag them until we'll improve the system.

That actually could be problematic since rudi disappeared. I'm afraid we'll need to create our own tagger.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2178 on: March 13, 2014, 04:18:32 AM »
That actually could be problematic since rudi disappeared. I'm afraid we'll need to create our own tagger.

Bah... I thought he got the tagger pretty close to a working version? What's wrong with it? I have no experience with Qt, so if we go down this road, I'll prolly have to recode the whole thing in Ren'Py or properly learn a new framework.

===
Found a much better color for water spells during the training. I am not sure as to what I am going to do tonight... maybe mess with BE a little bit to learn new stuff or look into the tagger to determine the workload (I'll need a wishlist to do that).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2179 on: March 13, 2014, 05:17:28 AM »
It lacks some basic yet extremely useful functions.
* "jump to N" option or something like that for pictures, very useful for large packs, right now it only has previous and next buttons;
* an option to delete the currently displayed picture; right now to delete any picture you have to close the tagger and delete it manually, otherwise there will be problems;
* an option to delete any unknown tags, will be very useful to delete others' tags and those tags that we don't use anymore.

While the tagger can be used even now, it's far from being ready.

All functions from rudi's tagger, except that "guess tags from images names" thing, are welcomed. Including easy modifying tags menus.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:10:52 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2180 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »
It lacks some basic yet extremely useful functions.
* "jump to N" option or something like that for pictures, very useful for large packs, right now it only has previous and next buttons;
* an option to delete the currently displayed picture; right now to delete any picture you have to close the tagger and delete it manually, otherwise there will be problems;
* an option to delete any unknown tags, will be very useful to delete others' tags and those tags that we don't use anymore.

While the tagger can be used even now, it's far from being ready.

All functions from rudi's tagger, except that "guess tags from images names" thing, are welcomed. Including easy modifying tags menus.

So what, you're suggesting that I stop working on PyTFall for a month or two and code a tagging software just to add these 3 new features?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2181 on: March 13, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »
Let me put it another way. No proper tagger = no new tagged packs + no major changes in tags system (like slavetraining). Feel free to decide when it would be better to work on it.
Tagging takes plenty of time per se, much more than actual hunt for pictures. I'd prefer to not have artificial difficulties.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:36:27 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2182 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Let me put it another way. No proper tagger = no new tagged packs + no major changes in tags system (like slavetraining). Feel free to decide when it would be better to work on it.

Well, not any time soon...

I see six options here:

1) Try to contact Rudi via Email and see if he can write me a simple guide to the work environment that he used to create the tagger or even made the required modification himself.

2) Abandon the XMP data system and code new filename based tagging software in Ren'Py.

3) Use the old version. I just took a look at it and I wouldn't have a problem tagging with it.

4) Find a programmer familiar with Qt/PyInstaller/Python/XMP/Image libs that could reverse engineer the GUI or create a similar one (logic is opensourced).

Last two options are recoding the entire thing in Ren'Py as it is in Qt or me figuring out how to work with Qt and PyInstaller.

=================
Personally I favor option 3. I consider that software is more than adequate as it is + I can retag 1 or 2 packs myself for slavetraining and if it turns out to be an interesting addition, I am sure people will pick it up eventually.

My second favorite is option 2, cause than I could also add girl, item, event editor and easy ways to edit other stuff but that's something I was planning to do only after 1.0 cause constantly changing the editors as content evolves is very time consuming and I didn't really see any increase in activity for content creation for OtherWorld after Daisy added editors to the game.

---
Perfect scenario would obviously be successfully contacting Rudi but it's a longshot :(
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2183 on: March 13, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
heh, my original comment was more about the tags themselves and not the software :-)   because I'm still unsure about some
 I admit these additional functions would be a great improvement, as I need to delete some pics or to click 200x on next to resume work quite often, but other then this small annoyance, I don't have any big problems with the software (especially "use last tags" button is just great). but I began using image manager for sorting images by tags and to repair them as tagger dont support that
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:20:11 AM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2184 on: March 13, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
heh, my original comment was more about the tags themselves and not the software :-)   because I'm still unsure about some
 I admit these additional functions would be a great improvement, as I need to delete some pics or to click 200x on next to resume work quite often, but other then this small annoyance, I don't have any big problems with the software (especially "use last tags" button is just great). but I began using image manager for sorting images by tags and to repair them as tagger dont support that

Which manager/viewer/editor? There is a whole bunch of them around...

As for the tags themselves, yeah... without question. We'll do a review of tagging system soon after @/code review and make the decisions then.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2185 on: March 13, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »
Well, I can't see his email, not here, not on otherworld forum. He even wasn't online in this year yet.

Unfinished tagger is a crutch, not a tool. One deleted/renamed tag means manual retagging for every single picture.

Btw, the game doesn't read metadata, it reads tag jsons. No need to rename pics or use meta.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:05:28 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2186 on: March 13, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »
Well, I can't see his email, not here, not on otherworld forum. He even wasn't online in this year yet.

Unfinished tagger is a crutch, not a tool. One deleted/renamed tag means manual retagging for every single picture.

Btw, the game doesn't read metadata, it reads tag jsons. No need to rename pics or use meta.

It's his nickname exactly as it is on the forums + @gmail.com.

It's a tool since it has a lot of functionality we require and was built specifically for our purpose. Using an image viewer or editor to tag and then running a script to construct a json file, that's what's called a crutch.

It's hard to tell how difficult/fast/convenient it would be to tag using Ren'Py. But since I wanted to to code something, I might just as well try and throw a prototype together to see what that's like...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2187 on: March 13, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »
I can tell that it was a mistake to rely on a software whose source code is unavailable to us. We should have asked it sooner, before rudi disappears. I doubt that he would have refused to share it.

The same mistake i've made with Future and wm ex, dammit  :(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:42:21 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2188 on: March 13, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
I can tell that it was a mistake to rely on a software whose source code is unavailable to us. We should have asked it sooner, before rudi disappears. I doubt that he would have refused to share it.

The same mistake i've made with Future and wm ex, dammit  :(

Yeap. I've never actually looked into the tagger since the only non-foreign thing in it to me was Python (So I didn't know that the code at the SF tags repo was incomplete). Also Rudi's been talking about/developing PytherWorld for about three or four years, he was not the most likely person to vanish.

Edit:

Ok, so I took a look at the tag code inside PyTFall itself (DB/Json Read/Write + Sorting) and Python code in the tagging software. We have everything that we need to make our own tagger, workload will be significantly simplified if we abandon XMP data. One thing is that Ren'Py doesn't have dropboxes like Qt so those will have to be replaced with something.

There is no point in doing this now and prolly no point in doing this ever. I've tagged a couple of images and I cannot see anything that screams for new software. Whenever someone is sick of tagging, it is always possible to switch to something else for a while :)

---
Found something to do for tonight, not all events seem to be executing as they should. I think there is something wrong with them failing to execute on first throw of dice. I'll take a look into that first.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:02:25 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2189 on: March 13, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »
Don't you have a situation with a certain half-npc, half-girl to fix?  ::)

I've tagged a couple of images and I cannot see anything that screams for new software.
Yeah-yeah, I have 16500 pics in my packs totally, wanna try some?  :D