Author Topic: Brothel Facilities in XML  (Read 23151 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Brothel Facilities in XML
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 03:57:50 AM »
W
Does success over 100% mean there is draw of more customers in some manner, or is it just to allow some slack in case some subsequent penalty is there?

I'm thinking slack. Sort of +10% to any rolls. Hmmm.... that isn't particularly intuitive given the way values work when under 100%. Maybe I need to think that through a bit more.

Offline Vorpal

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 04:08:40 AM »
You could make the surplus an additional chance of tipping, or however customer enjoyment is calculated.
Or, if tipping is already skills-based, an effective multiplier to skills, i.e., 110% = relevant skills multiplied by 1.1 (50->55, etc.)

Edit: Probably chance of an additional tip is the most straightforward and least invasive to game mechanic, but it makes Factor kind of redundant.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:13:57 AM by Vorpal »

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 04:45:03 AM »
Well, if "Factor" is applied as a modifier to the base service rate charged the customer, then "Success" could be used to modify the customer's reaction, and therefor everything that follows from the reaction (ie, customer enjoyment, tips, changes in fame, customer's likelihood of returning, etc.).
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Vorpal

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 04:52:17 AM »
Hmm...

You're probably going to have to tweak the skills system anyway, esp. since girl-vs-girl combat is possible. Starting with two girls at 100% combat skills, giving one with armor and weapons, as it stands they would still be considered equally combat-effective, which is rather strange and removes any use for those items. Hence, one could treat 100% as the limit of "innate" skills, and items should be able to bring it over that limit.

Once combat skills are allowed to go over 100% through items or environmental bonuses, it makes sense for the others to do so as well. And being multiplicative rather than additive also makes sense in this case, since no posh environment is going to enable a completely unskilled girl suddenly have competency.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 04:59:56 AM »
Once combat skills are allowed to go over 100% through items or environmental bonuses, it makes sense for the others to do so as well. And being multiplicative rather than additive also makes sense in this case, since no posh environment is going to enable a completely unskilled girl suddenly have competency.
Traits would also effect these values.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Vorpal

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 05:03:39 AM »
Traits would also effect these values.
Arguably, traits are also 'innate', and hence subject to the 100% limit. Edit: Although doing the contrary would make them have more relevance.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:09 AM »

Yeah, I posted a similar proposal a few months back about improving the skill system, where traits and items would each have individual caps on their total contribution, and then add to the base skill - something like Total Skill = Base Skill (cap 100) + Trait Bonuses (cap 50) + Item Bonuses (cap 50).  Implementing it would likely require a rewrite of the way skills are currently handled (or not handled as may be in some cases), and so the first time around, I don't recall the proposal garnering much support.  It would be rather simple to implement, though, if the "Success" modifier is implemented in such a way that it requires a rewrite of how skills are handled anyway.

Arguably, traits are also 'innate', and hence subject to the 100% limit.

Is someone who has dedicated his or herself to mastering a skill as good as someone who is both naturally gifted and dedicated to mastering the skill?  Generally speaking, no (assuming a similar level of experience for both).  I argue that traits fall under the "naturally gifted" category.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:16:22 AM by zodiac44 »
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Vorpal

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 05:16:26 AM »
Well, some kind of rewrite is necessary at this point, or else the upcoming Arena jobs don't make much sense. It's easier not to cap the bonuses*.

* And hey, with LS's item pack, one can have something like a +100 total bonus to magic through about four items... though I guess it does get pretty ridiculous at that point.

Is someone who has dedicated his or herself to mastering a skill as goodas someone who is both naturally gifted and dedicated to mastering theskill?  Generally speaking, no (assuming a similar level of experience for both).  I argue that traits fall under the "naturally gifted"category.
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion through a meta-reason: there's no in-game point to skill-based traits if everyone can just spend two extra weeks training or so and get to the same place.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:20:40 AM by Vorpal »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 07:34:49 AM »
I have to say, I have to particularly clear idea on how we're going to do the Arena yet. Delta may be of more help since he's been working on the job side while I've been working on the building aspects.

Combat in general is due for a bit of a shakeup, so this could be a good time to do that. But if all else fails, we can always leave some of the more complicated buildings (like the arena) out of 1.30. The important thing is going to get the basic mechanism established. We can add bells and whistles once that's working

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »
I do have a vauge idea of how I want to handle girl on x fighting, but I have not really worked on it much.   

Offline LordShame

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »
* And hey, with LS's item pack, one can have something like a +100 total bonus to magic through about four items... though I guess it does get pretty ridiculous at that point.

Heh, the best staff and the best cloak together get you +95, and you can buy a book that'll push it to at least +115. I'm fairly sure I'll have to nerf the better combat/magic equipment once actual fighting is in the game, so enjoy your imba v3 items while you can.  ;)

But as you know, girls have several levels of accomodation, so howabout trying to fit the room size for the accomodation levels? Youknow, like good accomodation take, say, 20 space? And  wonderfulaccomodation takes around 40?

Well, the way I understand it, the old accomodation setting might not be relevant anymore. If you have a per-room quality factor that takes into account both size and glitz, that's really taken care of at the time of purchase. Besides, I'm not sure tying room size to room quality is entirely sound. You can have a small cozy room with excellent furniture, and you can have a big, cold, damp, and drafty room with bare walls. That's an interesting aspect to play with, I think.

I'm a little stuck on how to handle some aspects, however. Do we let the player rip out all the cells and replace them with a wine cellar and a dive bar complete with jazz piano and lady-sings-the-blues? Or do we say the dungeon is part of the enchantment that set up the catacomb portal and for that reason there are restrictions on how the space can be used (but you do get infinite room to build new cells).

Maybe there's some sort of odor or creepy noise coming out of the catacombs, or the ceiling is really low, or you just don't want to have a drunken customer wander off on his own somewhere and get eaten by something, or dear old dad was a sadistic bastard and the place is literally haunted by who knows how many traumatized ghosts. If the dungeon itself is defined as a fundamentally scary or unpleasant place to be in then you can justify pretty much any restriction you want.

Offline Rose

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
The simplest solution to that particular issue would be to have the player to start with two separate buildings. 1. The brothel (which can have any kind of rooms) and 2. the dungeon (which can only have dungeon/catacomb-related rooms).

Another idea would be to give buildings both "aboveground" rooms (For accomodations, stages, bars, whatever) and basement room (for kennels, wine cellars, dungeons, torture chambers, monster pens and so forth).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:08:30 AM by Rose »
The truth is out there, but it's usually pretty boring, so people make up interesting lies instead.

Offline Exeed

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »
For girl to girl fighting, why not use a rock paper scissors system? defense beats melee, melee beats magic and magic beats defense. Then calculate the damage using skills and equipment.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »
I was thinking something similar to that.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
The simplest solution to that particular issue would be to have the player to start with two separate buildings. 1. The brothel (which can have any kind of rooms) and 2. the dungeon (which can only have dungeon/catacomb-related rooms).

It might be cool to define the dungeon as existing in some separate dimension. A bit like the way the catacombs are kind of like a section of unstable inter-dimensional space - let's suppose that the dungeon is a special case of CatacombSpace. It's an area some archmage enchanted into stability, and to reach it you need a dungeon portal (1 space, fairly expensive). Any building with a dungeon portal connects into the same space, so you can still use it to move girls around. The spell to extend the stablised area is fairly cheap to cast, so adding space for new cells isn't a problem, although you'll still need to buy cells beyond the initial 20 rooms.

Another idea would be to give buildings both "aboveground" rooms (Foraccomodations, stages, bars, whatever) and basement room (for kennels,wine cellars, dungeons, torture chambers, monster pens and so forth).

That could be added to the XML definition. Which if nothing else would save on debates as to whether it made sense to allow/forbid X in the dungeon.

I was thinking something similar to [R-P-S].

Were you thinking of making fights interactive? As in the player controls one combatant? Or just random tactics to spice up the reporting?