devolution

Author Topic: Catacomb Combat  (Read 10460 times)

Offline LordJerle

Catacomb Combat
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
Doc and I were having a little discussion on the Google Wave regarding the catacombs and I pitched forth an idea that he likes, but I want to get player feedback.  It won't be put in until the lua integration is completed, so it may be awhile.

Anyway, the idea is to give the player an option to join the gang members going into the catacombs.  It may or may not be an end of turn function, depending on how Doc decides to put it in, but if it's an end of turn function, it would serve to increase the risk/reward system by forcing you to load from an autosave, increasing the annoyance if you had done a bunch of stuff in your brothels like moving girls around and buying them new equipment.  Leading the gang members into the catacombs would increase the quality of loot, amount of loot, and girls found, but if you die, you die and have to load from your last save.  It would also serve to increase the morale of your men, causing them to do more damage and allow them to go to a negative hp rating to a point.  They'd die, but they'd die fighting for their boss.  The downside of the increase is that them showing off in order to get a promotion is that their armor rating would decrease, resulting in them taking more damage.  I haven't quite worked out something for girls joining, but that's part of what this thread is about. 

Offline Amoeba

Re: Catacomb Combat
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:48:31 PM »
I like the idea, but I'm not sure I completely understand the way you're describing it's affects. Are you saying they can keep fighting at negative hp, but they die afterwords? If that's the case, while it would be useful, combining that with a lower armor sounds like it'd be pretty easy to get in a scenario where more of your men die because you're there. Granted, I don't know the mechanics used to handle fights in the first place, so maybe that gives them more of a chance to use potions which would result in less casualties.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
I've been wanting to take my MC into the catacombs for a while. I'm with Amoeba though, and I don't think I get the whole concept. But i'm all for having the MC in the front lines!
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »
I like the idea, but I'm not sure I completely understand the way you're describing it's affects. Are you saying they can keep fighting at negative hp, but they die afterwords? If that's the case, while it would be useful, combining that with a lower armor sounds like it'd be pretty easy to get in a scenario where more of your men die because you're there. Granted, I don't know the mechanics used to handle fights in the first place, so maybe that gives them more of a chance to use potions which would result in less casualties.

Yeah, they'd die afterwards, and it could be easily set up so once they hit a negative hp, they can't use potions.

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »
This reminds me of a certain game where you went looking for kidnapped girls in the underground, and most of the time, found tentacle ass rape instead. I'm all for exploring the catacombs, as long as I have more than a 0% chance of not being eaten, or raped, or raped then eaten.

Which means I'm not going down there until we have some Equipment for the MC to survive. (Sending  goons to acquire said gear from the catacombs first of course.) Which I guess is a long winded way of saying. Give the MC the ability to equip his own shinys if you are gonna do this.   :D
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »
That was one of the things discussed in the wave :P

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:42:06 AM »
I should probably start by saying that while I like the idea, I'm not promising to make it happen. I'm uncomfortably aware while I've promised to shut down development in a tidy manner, I keep adding things to my todo list. So I want to take a minute or two to explain where my coding priorities lie.

The plan is to wrap up the main development lines. That means
  • Lua (which is coming along nicely)
  • building management,
  • a review of the Job code which still has some stubs in it
  • and city wards.
  • I'll probably do the message window upgrade we discussed, since the code for that is all in Lua and is written and working in Clonemaster.

Additionally, there's some stuff in my svn branch already done that just needs to be merged into the trunk:
  • the slave market refactor;
  • the named daughter code; and
  • the new girl vs gang system
After that ... well, I'm probably going to look for some low hanging fruit before I switch to Clonemaster full time. I quite want the succubus dairy thing, for instance - it's should be doable entirely in Lua and XML by that stage. In general, if it looks cool and isn't too much work, I'll probably do it. If it needs a major overhaul of something, or if I start it and it turns into the Jobs Conversion, Part Deux, then I'll probably drop it.

Which brings me back to where I came in: If this was an open ended development, this would be on my todo list without reservation. As it is, it's a "maybe".

On the bright side, I'm definitely doing something like this in Clonemaster ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:51:58 AM by DocClox »

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »
I'm really excited for Clonemaster, and the work list you have for WM is actually pretty extensive. I look forward to your future work. :)
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »
This reminds me of a certain game where you went looking for kidnapped girls in the underground, and most of the time, found tentacle ass rape instead.

Sorry for off-topic but what game is this?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »
I'm really excited for Clonemaster, and the work list you have for WM is actually pretty extensive. I look forward to your future work. :)

I've split the list on wave into stuff done, stuff I'm going to do, and stuff I'm probably not going to do now.

It's still an extensive  list. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm working on this until Christmas or so...

Offline Bluebeholder

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
Anyway, the idea is to give the player an option to join the gang members going into the catacombs.  It may or may not be an end of turn function, depending on how Doc decides to put it in, but if it's an end of turn function, it would serve to increase the risk/reward system by forcing you to load from an autosave, increasing the annoyance if you had done a bunch of stuff in your brothels like moving girls around and buying them new equipment.  Leading the gang members into the catacombs would increase the quality of loot, amount of loot, and girls found, but if you die, you die and have to load from your last save.  It would also serve to increase the morale of your men, causing them to do more damage and allow them to go to a negative hp rating to a point.  They'd die, but they'd die fighting for their boss.  The downside of the increase is that them showing off in order to get a promotion is that their armor rating would decrease, resulting in them taking more damage.  I haven't quite worked out something for girls joining, but that's part of what this thread is about. 

This sounds a lot like the gang leader system discussed in other threads with the twist of adding  the MC as a leader. 

Wouldn't it be easier to have each gang have a leader slot that fill with an character?
That allows for those who want different gang types such as monsters, females, MC, ect to have them and allow better differentiation between the gangs and characterization of the gangs.  It also provides an outlet for those male prisoners/sons collected.

eg
MC: +10% rewards, gang destroyed triggers game over
Jon Tallibain: +5% combat, +20% cost, +50% damage resistance, -10% noncombat

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »
Makes sense. And easier means more likely to get done at the moment.

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »

This sounds a lot like the gang leader system discussed in other threads with the twist of adding  the MC as a leader.  

Wouldn't it be easier to have each gang have a leader slot that fill with an character?
That allows for those who want different gang types such as monsters, females, MC, ect to have them and allow better differentiation between the gangs and characterization of the gangs.  It also provides an outlet for those male prisoners/sons collected.

eg
MC: +10% rewards, gang destroyed triggers game over
Jon Tallibain: +5% combat, +20% cost, +50% damage resistance, -10% noncombat
This is actually a really good point. Sounds so obvious too.
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »
Sorry for off-topic but what game is this?

Was referencing Slave Maker
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 07:36:39 AM »
Was referencing Slave Maker

Thanks.