PyTFall > PyTFall: Game design

<-- Archived --> (Exploration/Tiles Concept)

(1/3) > >>

Xela:
Just wanted to create a spot for questions and discussions about exploration. I've updated DB with a very fresh version since I had some time today to write some new code and wrap things up a bit. Simple battle tiles can be created in json format and loaded but I'll have to put those on the map manually for now (especially since we haven't decided for 100% what kind of map/maps we will go with).

Xela:
--- Reserved ---

DarkTl:
We always can take maps from other games, especially for alpha.

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on August 13, 2013, 08:35:13 AM ---We always can take maps from other games, especially for alpha.

--- End quote ---

This would require to much work (matching those graphics to tiles) as well as per room graphic extraction from that game.

When you get back as well, I want to discuss map/tiles building. Basically we can go two ways, JSON or script, both have advantages and disadvantages. If you are up to constructing the whole map tile by tile in JSON yourself as you did with items/traits, I will code game logic required and leave the rest to you (updating the code as we go, same as we did with items). While you work on the exploration, I can start putting some girlmeets texts that CW found into the game.

I'll take a break for the rest of the day and resume work on map/exploration tomorrow if I feel up to it.

DarkTl:
And what do you mean by script way then?

Basically, I do not mind to create maps, however I wonder if it possible to create complex maps without a map editor of some kind, especially since tiles have a lot of properties. I'm afraid my imagination and short-term memory are not good enough for purely text-based 2d modeling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version