PyTFall > PyTFall: Game design

<-- Archived --> (Exploration/Tiles Concept)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on August 31, 2013, 01:43:04 PM ---And what do you mean by script way then?

--- End quote ---

Code, instead of JSON/XML, plain code is used.

--- Quote from: DarkTl on August 31, 2013, 01:43:04 PM ---Basically, I do not mind to create maps, however I wonder if it possible to create complex maps without a map editor of some kind, especially since tiles have a lot of properties. I'm afraid my imagination and short-term memory are not good enough for purely text-based 2d modeling.

--- End quote ---

Would be a good memory training exercise then :)

Writing an editor is not hard but would prolly be to time consuming, especially before we see the "endversion" to current exploration system. If it sucks or gets boring to quickly, we may switch to something completely different in the future.

Also, just like with traits and items, tiles will have default values so not everything will have to be filled. Basically, I think that one large advantage of you designing the map in JSON is that you'll have something to do (since most items and traits are ready). Largest advantage of me doing it (without or with limited JSON) is that I can take a number of shortcuts with code that will make a good map for Alpha much faster.

Either way, loads of work remains to be done for the exploration system...

DarkTl:
I'm back home today  8)

--- Quote from: Xela on August 31, 2013, 04:05:19 PM ---I think that one large advantage of you designing the map in JSON is that you'll have something to do (since most items and traits are ready).

--- End quote ---
Sure, it would be handy. It's not like I don't have something to do though, while you were busy with exploration I've finished another big pack.

But don't expect 40x40 maps without an editor from me. If you want huge maps, be my guest and use script way  :)

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on September 01, 2013, 08:57:48 AM ---I'm back home today  8)
Sure, it would be handy. It's not like I don't have something to do though, while you were busy with exploration I've finished another big pack.

But don't expect 40x40 maps without an editor from me. If you want huge maps, be my guest and use script way  :)

--- End quote ---

Oki, I'll continue with scripting using JSON where convenient for now. I might need your help hunting extra resources when you have time.

DarkTl:

--- Quote from: Xela on September 01, 2013, 10:18:34 AM ---I might need your help hunting extra resources when you have time.

--- End quote ---
Yup, let me know if you need something.

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on September 01, 2013, 01:32:10 PM ---Yup, let me know if you need something.

--- End quote ---

When you have time, see if you can find a forest encampment background? I have some ideas for the entrance (couple of warriors to be recruited, events, quests, maybe a shop).

Decent peace of software btw: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tiled/

We might switch to something like that in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version