PyTFall > PyTFall: Game design

<-- Archived --> (Battle Engine and Combat)

(1/53) > >>

Xela:
Archived, we have a new BE now.

- We're currently using Jake's BE feeding it data through a simple bridge function (this can be improved).
- We've chosen simple battle stationary battle scenario to save time.
- There is currently no code to use our items in BE but it's not difficult to add.

Xela:
-- Reserved --

DarkTl:
I've been wondering about elements and magic for some time. Do we need magic defence stat? Or should we just use a separate resistance/absorption to each of elements?
For instance, D&D has quite complex system, it uses checks for reflex/will/fortitude as well as pure magic resistance vs difficulty class of spells, it has both absolute and relative absorptions for each element and even physical attacks, up to immunity in some cases.

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 24, 2014, 11:17:27 AM ---I've been wondering about elements and magic for some time. Do we need magic defence stat? Or should we just use a separate resistance/absorption to each of elements?
For instance, D&D has quite complex system, it uses checks for reflex/will/fortitude as well as pure magic resistance vs difficulty class of spells, it has both absolute and relative absorptions for each element and even physical attacks, up to immunity in some cases.

--- End quote ---

To tell you the truth, I have no clue. First I would like to see community response on having a proper BE in a Sim game. I loved it in first OW release, it's kinda cool but to simple in SlaveMaker...

Second, we need to agree on a scheme (Moving on picture (grid), Moving on Tiles, Moving 3D ( with elevations), stationary with raws, stationary without raws and etc.).
===========
I love discussing possibilities as usual BUT I don't think that we can make a decision on this (and some other important concepts) until Alpha release, couple of polls, feedback and most importantly, if there'll be more people joining the dev team to develop content...

DarkTl:
Yeah-yeah, but I'd like to discuss BE anyway. My posts also could be used as notes in the future.

Another thing is elements. D&D has fire, ice, electricity, acid, negative and positive energy, divine, sound, pure magic and three types of physical damage.
No such classic things as earth or wind, also no opposing elements.

On the other hand, Golden Sun (another example of good combat mechanics) has fire, earth, wind (including electricity), water (including ice), light and darkness. Opposing elements are quite obvious here.

Meanwhile in Naruto, for example, wind and electricity elements are separate, with unobvious opposing elements (fire>wind>lightning>earth>water>fire).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version